SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BREAKING: Mass worldwide IT outage hits airlines, media and banks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BREAKING: Mass worldwide IT outage hits airlines, media and banks Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Breaking news -- Sounds pretty serious if it is sourced from a breach within the cybersecurity software itself. Crowdstrike is a leading cybersec vendor of software and services.

"American Airlines says Crowdstrike, a cybersecurity company, is the source of the tech issues."

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cnk4jdwp49et

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I worry about our Grid and the military reliance on tech. The Chinese are the very best at this.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I worry about our Grid and the military reliance on tech. The Chinese are the very best at this.

Technology is great but at the same time its vulnerable to anyone with a skill and determination.

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A system update(!). Of course it would be. Nothing more classic tech than to push a software update through and then watch stuff break as a result. And least Crowdstrike's name seems appropriate...in more ways than one. Embarrassing to say the least, and on a global scale. Guess pre-testing wasn't on their to-do checklist. Probably should refrain from giving that development team a hefty year-end bonus, given that the "fix" is already in place.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Don your body armor, load your nice clean rifle, pop open the ammo cans, then eat an MRE.

Apparently it’s spreading to 911 centers.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1782 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
This is less than comforting. I’m on a cruise ship off the coast of Alaska and am catching a flight home on the 24th. Confused

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter are catching a flight this afternoon out of ATL. Right now it still says on time.

After seeing what they’re saying on the news about this…riiight.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2157 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My Fastbound FFL software would not work, supposedly due to MS Azure problem. The longer I have my FFL, the more thankful I am that I do not do this for my main income. I would hate to have been a brick and mortar and unable to use software to sell. Sure, paper forms could be used, but software makes it quicker and with less mistakes.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fuuuuuuuuuk, we’re supposed to leave at noon to Knoxville to visit family. I checked on flight tracker.com and it’s showing, but all the 0500-0800 flights are cancelled.

I imagine this will cascade as planes aren’t where they were scheduled.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. just got back from a trip this A.M. The airport was a disaster.

On top of all the people, news crews were set up to film and were blocking access.

Posts: 7090 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I heard from former co-workers that Infor, a major software and Cloud-based services company is also off the air because of this.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a message that my company is having issues running credit card transactions. Crowdstrike is mentioned as the suspected cause. Might get interesting.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for a global company, we obviously have some big national and international customers.

Both us and some of our biggest accounts are having major software / interface issues right now.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1954 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Stuff like this always makes me wonder... How is anyone surprised? How could this NOT happen? How can people think tying everything together and storing everything remotely is NOT going to be a problem? Haven't they watched any SciFi movies in the last 60 years? Big Grin

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Stuff like this always makes me wonder... How is anyone surprised? How could this NOT happen? How can people think tying everything together and storing everything remotely NOT going to be a problem? Haven't they watched any SciFi movies in the last 60 years? Big Grin

As an industrial HVAC mechanic, we can always drive to the building and beat on the chiller with tools when needed. The office on the other hand..........network goes down? All business ceases immediately. Mad

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1954 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Driving in to work this morning [just south of IAH], only saw 1 plane in the sky, and that was a V-tail GA plane on approach.

Couldn't tell if it was a Beech V-tail, but it was on a, seemingly, rapid approach & looked bigger than a Bonanza.

Haven't heard any departures & we're typically right under the southern departure path.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is anyone surprised? How could this NOT happen? How can people think tying everything together and storing everything remotely is NOT going to be a problem?

What will you do the day the power goes out? It's coming eventually.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15837 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be dropping my daughter’s friends off tomorrow in Flint. Hopefully Allegiant can still fly their planes as they really just fly A to B and B to A routes. I hope we find out early enough if the flight is canceled so I don’t have to waste a 7 hour round trip driving to Flint and back.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
We were affected by it at my job. When I came in at 2am it was all just starting. Servers were coming down and getting stuck on recovery screens. We're not a big shop and not every server was effected by it but everything is just about back to normal. We only had to delete a file while in recovery mode and then restart each machine. It could've been worse. It was worse for the Desktop Support team. There were way more workstations than servers effected and they were not all in one location. So they have to go where each PC is and do the recovery with the users looking over their shoulders asking questions.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post