SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BREAKING: Mass worldwide IT outage hits airlines, media and banks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BREAKING: Mass worldwide IT outage hits airlines, media and banks Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My cat's bowl is analog. He's napping.
If he ain't concerned, What- Me Worry?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44415 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I can confirm the Mackinac Bridge is open and zip lines are zipping.

Posts: 11553 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
C-130 aircraft were flying today at LRAFB.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7262 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1783 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
DEIB. B should stand for broke.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13073 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Try Hirens.

Or boot into safemode and find C-00000291*.sys in the sys32/drivers/crowdstrike folder and delete it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8143 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Spoke too soon. Speedway in Cheboygan, MI is cash only because their credit card payment system being down due to this. Luckily, I had enough cash for a half gallon of whole milk.

Posts: 11553 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were down for a while this AM, simple fix. Boot the windows box (server and desktop) delete a crowd strike file, and reboot. A simple fix if it's only a box or two. We had about 50 development and QA servers down and maybe 30 desktops all with a blue screen (can't finish update). Very time consuming. All's well for us now.

Posts: 7649 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
We were down for a while this AM, simple fix..........

unless you're using bitlocker. then there's a little more to it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11082 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were down for a while this AM, simple fix. Boot the windows box (server and desktop) delete a crowd strike file, and reboot. A simple fix if it's only a box or two. We had about 50 development and QA servers down and maybe 30 desktops all with a blue screen (can't finish update). Very time consuming. All's well for us now.

I was asking one of my affected customers how it was going. He said it was an easy fix three lines of code, but installing it is the problem. The communication is broken, so it has to be manually entered. Fine if you have one or a dozen computers. A lot harder when you have thousands and thousands of servers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21099 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
We were down for a while this AM, simple fix..........

unless you're using bitlocker. then there's a little more to it.

Not for us. We use McAffe instead of bit locker. Boot in safe, remove the Crowd Strike file, and reboot. I personally did about 15 machines this AM. Easy peasy, just time consuming typing in "generated" passwords.

Posts: 7649 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 108944 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So we got to Austin and as we were heading into the south terminal, two ticket ladies met us in the parking lot and told us all flights were cancelled and they couldn’t refund us until the site came back up, maybe tomorrow.

Mrs. Mike called southwest and a flight to Knoxville was not available, but a flight to Nashville TN would only cost us $3k and we’d have to rent a car and drive three hours and we wouldn’t get there until midnight.

She eventually called her sister and they reached the point where we will try again later.

Mrs. Mike got the travel insurance so we will see how it goes. We’re at home and she’s still bent.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11445 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ Sucks for sure, good thing y’all had the foresight to buy travel insurance. Meanwhile my family is adrift off the coast of Alaska. Just kidding! We have power and dock in the AM. Hopefully this is all old news by the 24th when we head home.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
My wife and daughter are catching a flight this afternoon out of ATL. Right now it still says on time.

Update: It was an international flight that said it was on time right up to the time they arrived at the airport. Then it went on indefinite delay, finally being rescheduled for boarding and takeoff two hours late. The delays and ripples in the system led to a crew staffing problem and another delay befite they finally reached their destination safely but over 2-1/2 hours late.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else find this completely ridiculous? One system error (sorry not a techie so no idea what to call it) causes massive travel issues, some banks, and vendors can’t financially operate, nurses can’t see what medications have previously been given to patients, Doctors can tell what rooms their patients are in.

The list goes on!

Just imagine what a true cyber attack would do.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25648 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Just imagine what a true cyber attack would do.

You certain that's not what happened?

I want to know the background of everyone who wrote, checked, tested, and approved that code before it gets attributed to incompetence.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31967 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
I'm in O'Hare this morning....Term-3 departure hall full of BSODs as far as one cane see. My 930 return to PHL bumped to 1030....now to 1145.
Hope for the best.

Finally left ORD at noon - both ORD and PHL were an absolute mess. landed after 3pm est
Couldn't top off the rental car - pumps down in 3 different gas stations - oh well.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I want to know the background of everyone who wrote, checked, tested, and approved that code before it gets attributed to incompetence.

Looks like the Secret Service writes code too............. Wink

NOTE: This is NOT a political comment.....

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There is an old tech saying that applies here:

"If contractors built buildings like programmers write code, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization."

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post