SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time to upgrade Windows 7 to 10
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to upgrade Windows 7 to 10 Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Since the "support" for 7 is ending time to upgrade the os for the desktop to 10.

Are there any deals out there for the upgrade, I know at one time there was a freebee, and some links still show it's available...

Then of course the obligatory Office upgrade, gotta keep BillyG in boat money...

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No thanks.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
No thanks.

Thank you very little!

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:
No thanks.

I'm with ya brother!!! I'm running Windows 7 until the damn thing explodes!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I've worked providing IT support since the late 80's out of necessity.
Was one of the earliest PC owner in my country, even before companies considered the move towards the PC computing world.

I remember struggling with DOS limitations and neverending barriers, remember how weird some Windows NT 3.5 and 4.0 were and even became one if not The OS/2 guru for the IBM local branch of the company.
There were all challenges and they were frustrating and uplifting times, one after the other.

I am pretty much fed up with the direction Windows 10 has taken and consider the cons are getting up to par with the pros.
If it's a possibility for you, i'd consider and would take a look at Linux. Learning curve ain't that terrible.

Also, i'd save a few bucks and take the LibreOffice path.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12129 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

time to upgrade the os for the desktop to 10.
Nope.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm on win7/64b as well on pc + 2 laptops & still have an xppro sp3 tower.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
No thanks.
You haven't had the forced conversion? They did it to me a couple of years ago. I didn't have any problems with it (losing files, for example), and like some things better.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My work desktop is being upgraded tonight. I was given a laptop (to replace my old one) recently for work on the go.

I have a system at home still on Win 7 - running Media Center for a DVR. Need to seriously look at replacing it before they stop supporting the guide updates.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Lot of threads on this recently.
I generally recommend for my IT clients is to also get new hardware.
New hardware is fully compliant with W10 and old hardware may/may not be as cooperative.
Considering W7 is 10 years old or more then more than likely your hardware is too.
New hardware today is pretty amazing.
But don't force an upgrade just because you hear the update/support is ending.
Think it through.
YMMV

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Others have given good advice as far as looking into new hardware.
If you absolutely need a Win 10 key (software can be installed for free), you can get an OEM key for less than $40 online.
I run Classic Shell (freeware) on all my Win 10 machines to mimic Win 7.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Lot of threads on this recently.
I generally recommend for my IT clients is to also get new hardware.
New hardware is fully compliant with W10 and old hardware may/may not be as cooperative.
Considering W7 is 10 years old or more then more than likely your hardware is too.
New hardware today is pretty amazing.
But don't force an upgrade just because you hear the update/support is ending.
Think it through.
YMMV

This... If you stay with W7 (not a bad choice) I would avoid online transactions, banking, and stock trading once it's really defunct. No security updates equals a potential boatload of catastrophic trouble if you're doing personal finances online. There are security updates for all operating systems for a reason. Software companies don't just do it cuz they're fun and cheap to roll out.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I run Classic Shell (freeware) on all my Win 10 machines to mimic Win 7.
Thanks for posting that Talon!! My brother and I are dreading the day we have to build a new PC for our 84 year old mother who is EXTREMELY RESISTANT to any change whatsoever. She is very entrenched in the look and feel of Windows 7 and going to a Windows 10 platform would probably fry every last brain cell in her skull.

I knew there were probably programs out there to emulate the Windows 7 desktop and menu structure, so I will check this one out when we go to build the new system. Thanks again!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the same thing that happened with XP an the same thing that happened with 98B before that. I'm sure there will be a dozen posts here in the next day telling me about the evils of Windows 10, but it is stable and has served me well over several machines for years now.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
This is the same thing that happened with XP an the same thing that happened with 98B before that. I'm sure there will be a dozen posts here in the next day telling me about the evils of Windows 10, but it is stable and has served me well over several machines for years now.

Windows 10 is great and much superior to Windows 7.
The problem lies with some not-so-technical who don't like change and also that old hardware may not be able to keep up with today's requirements.
Also if you are sensible about your use and use common sense then even Windows 7 will work just fine.
So then you need to ask why the upgrade?
Better off with a new hardware/computer in many cases, IMO.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The problem lies with some not-so-technical who don't like change idiots in Redmond who could not content themselves with just fixing what was broken/needed updating, and decided to pointlessly invalidate millions of user-years of familiarity with a user interface.

FIFY. Wink

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Just use your Win7 License key to activate your Win10 download.

It worked for me a few weeks ago.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtnPlinker:
Just use your Win7 License key to activate your Win10 download.

It worked for me a few weeks ago.

Huh, does this seriously work?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'd happily go back to 7 if I could.
Windows 10 updates are a major PITA. They try to run whenever they want to run. You can only put them off for so long, and then they just force themselves on you.

If you diable Update in Services... it turns itself back on. I'm currently using a third party app that monitors it, instantly disables it again, and lets me run updates when I chose to do so.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
You might still be able to get the free update to Windows 10.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/...y-and-how-to-get-it/

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post