SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Male Professor Told a Female Professor a Stupid Joke. Now He Faces Disciplinary Charges.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Male Professor Told a Female Professor a Stupid Joke. Now He Faces Disciplinary Charges. Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I think I'll go into hibernation now. Wake me up when the PC insanity is gone please. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Everyone has to be a victim....

... Except straight white men.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37989 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Everyone has to be a victim....

... Except straight white men.

As I have commented before, from my college faculty training, (a minority lesbian) taught the class that on the whole, white males are privileged, selfish, arrogant, and racisist, guilty of microagressions, and don't even know it, it's just part of who they are.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The committee chairman should have driven her out of the conference with a stick after the nature of her complaint became clear.

I see two issues. The first is the silly nature of the complaint, the second is that people took the silly complaint seriously.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I recall that being a line in an old comedy

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a photo of the “offended” but I suspect there is a little Dutch boy looking to place a finger somewhere near her.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
There are so many angry and resentful people all around us. And in some venues-- like a college campus-- on any given day there are a hundred opportunities for them to lash out as victims.

Things are so good for women in America-- and for minorities of every kind-- that they are pissed off over... nothing.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
Let these libs suffer from the crap they created. I have no symphony for these morons! You got what you wanted, created and live by everyday. HAHA

Don't you love when they serve up a shit sandwich amongst themselves?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8378 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Wait just one second.....

Sounds to me like the male professor likes to wear women's undergarments. I'm assuming he identifies that way.

If I were him xem I would file a complaint against her for assuming he xe identifies as a man and making him xem feel uncomfortable about his eirs cross dressing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
How did she know he wasn’t wanting to by some things for himself?
Now THAT is the real oppression! She assumed his gender!

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Tell her to make you a sammich, chop,chop, now !!!

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simona Sharoni

In case you were wondering...

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5485 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.simonasharoni.com/about-1/

Simona Sharoni is a feminist scholar, researcher and activist. She is Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies at Merrimack College. Sharoni holds a Ph.D. in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from George Mason University and MA and BA degrees in Counseling and Special Education from Haifa University, Israel. Prior to joining Merrimack College, she she taught at the State University of New York in Plattsburgh, the Evergreen State College and American University. She also held semester long distinguished scholar appointments at the University of Oregon and the University of Cincinnati.

Sharoni is the co-founder of Faculty Against Rape (FAR), a newly founded national organization advocating for an increased role of faculty in the struggle to confront sexual assault on college campuses. A former co-chair of the Board of Directors of the Peace and Justice Studies Association (PJSA) and its founding Executive Director, Sharoni has played a key role in advocating for the centrality of feminist perspectives to peacebuilding and conflict resolution.

A former co-chair of the Board of Directors of the Peace and Justice Studies Association (PJSA) and its founding Executive Director, Sharoni has played a key role in advocating for the centrality of feminist perspectives to peacebuilding and conflict resolution. In addition to gender justice, Dr. Sharoni’s activist experience involves primarily campus sexual assault, anti-racism work, political prisoners’ solidarity work, community organizing for justice and peace, and solidarity work with Palestinians and other oppressed groups.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
So the correct and safest thing to do in the presence of a female is remain silent, even if spoken to ( for example “what floor”). And avert your eyes so as not to be accused of leering. Hmmm. Then the only thing missing will be a big trash bag with eye holes cut in it. Perfect, Islam at its finest with PC gender reversal thrown in for fun.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Only if she had a flashing neon sign hanging around her neck saying "TROUBLE! TROUBLE!" would it be more obvious.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The committee chairman should have driven her out of the conference with a stick after the nature of her complaint became clear.

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I bet she's just a barrel of laughs at parties. I remember when there used to be humor - such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7Qn7ps3dg

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
He should had said "Hardware, because I need a new ballcock and want to look at the nipples and possible get a nice tailpiece." Cool

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Again, this could be easily resolved if the male professor had offered to meet her at 7 o'clock in the morning under the oaks, to answer for her offended sensibilities. Weapons of her choice. And tell her to bring a friend.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Merrimack used to be a Catholic school. With no "gender studies" courses. (I almost went there, and several friends used to teach there.) Guess it's no longer Catholic, and the charity has gone as well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post