SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Male Professor Told a Female Professor a Stupid Joke. Now He Faces Disciplinary Charges.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Male Professor Told a Female Professor a Stupid Joke. Now He Faces Disciplinary Charges. Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
"A horrifying and chilling example of political correctness."

Last month, Richard Ned Lebow, a professor of political theory at King's College, found himself in a crowded elevator with Simona Sharoni, a professor of gender studies at Merrimack College, during an academic conference in San Francisco. Sharoni asked Lebow what floor he needed. He replied: "ladies' lingerie."

It was a stupid joke—a "standard gag line," Lebow later explained, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. But Sharoni didn't think it was funny. And so she filed a complaint with the International Studies Association, whose conference they were both attending.

An ISA committee found that Lebow had indeed violated the group's code of conduct.

Lebow tried to resolve the matter himself, and wrote to Sharoni. He said he had no intention of making her feel uncomfortable, but stopped short of a full apology. According to The Chronicle:

"Like you, I am strongly opposed to the exploitation, coercion, or humiliation of women," Lebow wrote. "As such evils continue, it seems to me to make sense to direct our attention to real offenses, not those that are imagined or marginal. By making a complaint to ISA that I consider frivolous — and I expect, will be judged this way by the ethics committee — you may be directing time and effort away from the real offenses that trouble us both."

But describing Sharoni's complaint as "frivolous" made the committee even angrier. Lebow was subsequently instructed to issue an "unequivocal apology." He has refused to do so, and could face disciplinary charges. In his mind, the episode is "a horrifying and chilling example of political correctness" that "encourages others to censor their remarks for fear of retribution."

Sharoni, for her part, said that she cannot "remain silent when misogyny is at play."

The Washington Post's Ruth Marcus offered this opinion, which seems right to me:

This episode reflects not only a generational and cultural divide but also the unfortunate intersection of two prickly personalities with the bad luck to be stuck in the same elevator. She shouldn't have leaped to file a grievance; he shouldn't have added fuel by labeling her charge "frivolous."

Nonetheless, count me with Lebow. The days of women feeling compelled to stay silent in the face of sexist remarks or conduct are thankfully on the way out. Hear something, say something, by all means.

But for goodness' sake, let's maintain some sense of proportion and civility as we figure out how to pick our way through the minefield of modern gender relations. Not every comment that offends was intended that way, and intent matters. Maybe check in with the speaker before going nuclear? Maybe consider that there is a spectrum of offensiveness? That not every stray statement by a 76-year-old man warrants a resort to disciplinary procedures?

A misguided elevator joke certainly seems like something two adults could have handled on their own—without formal investigation, and the threat of sanction.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What is a woman doing riding an elevator alone?
She should be using the stairs.

Where is her husband?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Well he seems like a nice guy and she seems like, well, a gender studies professor.

Posts: 1990 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was thinking who the fuck would take the time to complain about something so meaningless and trivial then I read it was an aging SJW of "gender studies" then > Roll Eyes

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Some of these women should speak with those who have been truly harassed or raped. Then they may realize how trivial their little feeling really are.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Where is her husband?

And she shouldn't speak to any man other than her husband, father or brothers.

Posts: 26930 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Well he seems like a nice guy and she seems like, well, a gender studies professor.

Yeah, when I saw that my first thought was "Oookaaay, I know where this is going..." Such a trivial thing to be offended by, but in today's USA he probably should have known better. Then again, he's an academic too so he lives in a different world.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Some of these women should speak with those who have been truly harassed or raped. Then they may realize how trivial their little feeling really are.
No they wouldn't. These nitwits are so hateful and self-centered that nothing will ever change their attitude/behavior. And a "gender studies" professor insures she 1) thinks very highly of herself and opinions, and 2) is utterly and completely worthless to the 'real' world.

Bitch needs to make me a sammich, do the laundry, clean the house and learn her place in the pecking order (which is right beneath the family dog).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
She's got him by the balls ... and I bet a week's lunch money she's made that comment to her lady friends.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15905 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
All the dumb fuck had to say when questioned was: "I wanted to buy something nice for my wife"... end of story.

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let these libs suffer from the crap they created. I have no symphony for these morons! You got what you wanted, created and live by everyday. HAHA

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i got one.
guy walks into an elevator with a professor of gender studies....

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
No they wouldn't. These nitwits are so hateful and self-centered that nothing will ever change their attitude/behavior. And a "gender studies" professor insures she 1) thinks very highly of herself and opinions, and 2) is utterly and completely worthless to the 'real' world....

I mentioned the quip in an earlier thread, when does a gambler play a crooked wheel, when it's the only game in town. So much of today's "social justice" mantra fits. Many of such proponents push their dysfunctional and useless agenda because they lack skills and motivation to do something worthwhile that would contribute.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What exactly does a “gender studies” curriculum consist of? Is it more complex than a “door knobs studies” curriculum? One would think not. Lighten up bitch.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good thing he didn't call her M-M-M-My Sharoni.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Good thing he didn't call her M-M-M-My Sharoni.

OK, that's funny.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only assume he knew she was "Gender Studies" professor. He should have pressed the floor button himself then turned and faced the corner until the doors opened.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Where is her husband?

And she shouldn't speak to any man other than her husband, father or brothers.

And why was the harlot uncovered?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The committee chairman should have driven her out of the conference with a stick after the nature of her complaint became clear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
good grief.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6142 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post