SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Still Read Magazines?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Still Read Magazines? Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
A friend sent me a bunch of American Rifleman's from the 1930's, I am amazed at the quality of the articles and clarity of the writers, they knew what they were writing about and covered the selected subject well.

There are still a few great writers, Gary James keep me interested and well knows his subject matter. Many of the rest are kind of hit or miss. It seems a shame that the messages the older writers passed down have been forgotten and I am just glad I saved the older magazines to read again.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Only at the doctors office

Yuck...germs! Eek

Posts: 9045 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I get and read American Rifleman and Alaska. When I was 20-something my grandfather presented me with a bunch of boxes containing AR issues going back to the mid-40's. He must have crawled pawn shops and flea markets for years building up that collection. In truth I seldom find the interest to read them, but I can't quite bring myself to dump them either. Most of what I read now is books; like others I find that I don't really care for reading articles online.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I don't read articles on-line nor do I buy e-books, so the physical form is still my go-to. I still subscribe to a couple motorcycle magazines -- Rider and Classic Motorcycles -- but have dumped most of the other cycle mags for various reasons, mostly to do with the photo-heavy, coffee-table-like, hipster vibe many of them have turned to, featuring gems like this one:

https://www.motorcyclistonline...es-riding-while-high

I had a years-long subscription to American Handgunner and Combat Handguns, but dropped them years ago. I am, interestingly enough, pondering a new subscription -- one to Fortean Times, just for something different.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Only at the doctors office

Yuck...germs! Eek

I have noticed locally that magazines have been removed from the Internal Medicine and Family Practice offices, for that reason. Everyone presenting with flu symptoms looking at mags. Not good. But when I took my wife in to the plastic surgeon (breast recon after double mastectomy from cancer) I noticed a ton of high end mags. Depends what kind of Doctor office you are frequenting...

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Not regularly. I get a few in the mail, but honestly don't read them. Most subscriptions that I currently have were free for one reason or another. About the only time I'll read a magazine is either when flying or sitting poolside on vacation.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The last magazines I paid money and subscribed to were Guitar Player and Musician Magazine, decades ago. My wife and I receive the NRA rags- American Hunter, American Rifleman, and Shooting Illustrated, since we are, along with my son, Life Members. I hardly glance at them, maybe a rare article or product review. But I take a look at the covers and toss them in the trash. Otherwise, no other magazines or newspapers.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
I Get American Rifleman, and Bass Player, and read them both.

My wife and I share Reader's Digest and Guideposts in the "porcelain library." These get donated to our church after we're done and go to our Loaves & Fishes meal ministry.

My wife, however gets an innumerable selection that sometimes takes years to get read. I've found gardening magazines still wrapped and four years old. Apparently, flowers are not time sensitive.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post