SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Still Read Magazines?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Still Read Magazines? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Quite subscribing decades ago.

NRA sends one that has decent now & then stuff.

Prefer screen version to accommodate my whims.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but how fast I get through them depends veeery heavily on what else is going on. Handloader, American Rifleman, a couple of archeology rags and the state bar fishwrap.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
QST (ham radio)

Wow that one is still around. I remember reading it when I was in Junior High Electronics. Got my Novice License then.

Shop teacher had a real nice radio room for us to use. I remember getting a CQ answer from someone in Oregon and I was in Los Angeles Area. That was a good day on the 75 watts allowed.

I am going to retire soon and maybe I will go for a General. I heard you can go for one with no code. I still have the ball bearing key practice set up in the garage.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Yes. Current subscriptions include Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited and Whisky Advocate. I especially enjoy reading old magazines. I recently purchased some Fly Fishing mags from the mid 70's which I am thoroughly enjoying cover to cover.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm always getting stuff in the mail for special price subscriptions. I got one in the mail a while back "Shooting Times" for like 5 bucks for 12 issues. I subscribed...what the hell.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Only one that I bother with is Recoil. Used to get Small Arms Review until they cut the amount of print rags to quarterly.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My last real subscription to a magazine was in High school sometime in the late 90s. It was for RC cars- RCCA?

The only thing I get now is the American Rifleman that I get from NRA. I just skim through it and give them to a friend at work.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
American Rifleman.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still get various law enforcement magazines in the mail that I flip through.

I still enjoy the thrill of going to the bookstore and flipping through the various history and knife magazines.

I still enjoy the print books and magazines. I have adapted to my kindle especially during the summer. As much as I read each week I would go broke buying books.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I read Garden & Gun cover to cover. I got a few free subscriptions to others and a I only leaf through them to find that there's nothing I want to read.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am a reader and still get 4 gun magazines, Reader's Digest,VFW magazine and 2 university alumni magazines.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I only get two magazines, in the past I got a lot more. American Rifleman and Outdoor Photography are it for me. The wife does get a few, Cowboys and Indians is one we share.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I've weaned myself down to Air & Space and Readers Digest. "Shooters Illustrated" I get soft copy.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an ex-printer, I still get one that I read and save "Handloader". I ditch American Rifleman after some perusal, Wired is occasionally read. All others flipped through then dumped.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
The Economist

American Rifleman

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I picked up a glossy gun magazine at the store the other day and considered buying it. Then I saw the price. Ten bucks. Ten. Bucks.

No way in Hell. No way. Adios, 20th Century.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
periodically ...

Big Grin

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I get the NRA's "Shooting Illustrated" delivered monthly. It is the only magazine I get anymore.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't subscribed to a magazine since Sports Illustrated in the late 90's. The only "magazines" I read now come for free; Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Cabela's, etc.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I picked up a glossy gun magazine at the store the other day and considered buying it. Then I saw the price. Ten bucks. Ten. Bucks.

No way in Hell. No way. Adios, 20th Century.

Para I notice that the newsstand price is very high on most mags. But if you subscribe it is much cheaper per issue. A fraction of the newsstand price.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post