SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Still Read Magazines?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Still Read Magazines? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Magazines seem to pile up around our house. My wife asks me to go through them when the stack gets big and I find that I haven’t read most of them. It’s not all my fault...I really only subscribed to two, Premier Guitar and Car and Driver. I hadn’t been a C&D subscriber for years, but they offered me something like 3 years for $20 and I thought, “Why not.”

The rest come with memberships. Alumni association magazine, NRA membership magazine. I get two because of the car organization we joined: a national and a regional publication. Recently, my BIL gifted me with a G&A Handguns subscription.

Just like that, 7 magazines/month and if I read a few things out of 3 or 4 of them, I consider it a success. You folks? Still get magazines? Do you read them? I do most of my reading before lights out, in bed, and that’s books.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like hard copy. Really not a fan of reading electronic versions of magazines or books.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Only at the doctors office

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I still get Anerican Rifleman. Back in the 1960s it was worth reading and saving. Now, like most magazines, it’s mostly advertising and articles that are essentially advertisements.
Good for a few minutes of entertainment whilst seated on the commode and nothing more. I sure wouldn’t pay anything for a magazine any more.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
"..only for the articles"....Never the pictures !!!! LOL

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Military Officer
Nature (science journal)
QST (ham radio)
The American Rifleman Hopefully everyone at least knows what that is, because I am literally astonished when I see comments saying that there’s nothing worthwhile reading in the magazine. It has great history and some of the most detailed and authoritative information about current firearms-related topics. I suspect the reason some people don’t like it is because it exposes them to the hard truths about how important their contributions are to fighting gun rights infringements, and they don’t like being reminded of what they should be doing. Then again, I suppose my own thirst for knowledge isn’t typical.

I do not like reading periodicals or books on a computer that require me to sit in an office chair. Advertising is also harder to ignore.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to read all the gun rags. Now, you get the same info on-line. The print magazines are more like pamphlets.

Of course, once you read those fish wrappers for a few years, you realize the same articles keep appearing over and over.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, but only because I love to read. But I agree most magazines are just advertisements.
Subscription List:
American Rifleman.
American Handgunner.
Firearms News. (so I can read about what everyone in the Balkans was armed with during WWI. Roll Eyes)
Gun Tests.
Popular Mechanics
Blade.
Rider.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
No with being on the move in an RV, I will request E copies when ever possible. Books are all on our kindles. Music CDs have all been converted to MP3 files.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4837 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still subscribe to a number of gun and car magazines. i don't like the digital version.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've noticed in the last couple years that my gun, hot rod, and guitar magazines are all about 90% advertisements and 10% vendor paid endorsements made to look like articles.
I've cancelled every magazine.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Only subscription is Road and Track and a 1-year lark on Popular Mechanics for about $5... Also get three mags from two car owner club affiliations, college alumni mag, NRA mag.

Have gotten much better about tossing them ASAP rather than moving them around the house. Definitely didn't move the 20 years of R&T on our last relocation..... Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Only subscription is Road and Track and a 1-year lark on Popular Mechanics for about $5... Also get three mags from two car owner club affiliations, college alumni mag, NRA mag.

Have gotten much better about tossing them ASAP rather than moving them around the house. Definitely didn't move the 20 years of R&T on our last relocation..... Roll Eyes

Very similar to me.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Negative, they're a pain in the ass stacking up in my living room. I'm an internet sort of guy.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have a full library at home....

Love the feel of paper and the smell of old books.

I still get Grey's Sporting Journal, American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo, Smithsonian, and Garden & Gun. The last is for the spousal unit.

No reader beats the real thing.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nope. Internet.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I still subscribe to a few magazines. I like to turn the physical pages when reading in bed. I will miss them. As soon as print media can not sell enough advertising, they will be gone. They will all be gone in a few years. I have a large stash of music and car mags from the last 30 years. I enjoy re-reading them with no pop-up ads. The next generation will not be reading print media. Sad.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I still get Anerican Rifleman. Back in the 1960s it was worth reading and saving. Now, like most magazines, it’s mostly advertising and articles that are essentially advertisements.
Good for a few minutes of entertainment whilst seated on the commode and nothing more. I sure wouldn’t pay anything for a magazine any more.
I get AR and G&A as throne reading.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has great history

Agreed. It used to be worthwhile. Check out one of the issues from 50 years ago and compare them to the slender, lame ad-filled issues of today.

“I suspect the reason some people don’t like it is because it exposes them to the hard truths about how important their contributions are to fighting gun rights infringements, and they don’t like being reminded of what they should be doing.”

I’ve been a Life Member of NRA since the early 1980s and am a regular contributor to their efforts defending the 2nd Amendment. If your post was directed at me, you’re mistaken. It’s apparently popular and cool to not support the NRA for reasons like “I don’t like LaPierre”, or “they ask for money too often”, but the fact remains that the NRA is probably the reason we don’t have gun laws like most of the rest of the countries in the world.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Subscribe to Fine Woodworking, Wooden Boat and we get two NRA magazines. Also get one or two BMW motorcycle magazines. Keep them all, have built vertical stacks for storage.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post