SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to cut a railroad tie to finish a project...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to cut a railroad tie to finish a project... Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I cut up a few old RR ties years ago. I ruined a perfectly good chain in the process. Those things are nasty. Never again.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone good advice.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
In addition to respiratory protection, wear crap clothes and shoes that you don't mind ruining. Creosote won't come out of whatever you get it on.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you know someone who has a gas cut-off saw for concrete or rebar or can find one to rent. Dont tear up a good chainsaw or blade in the process. A reciprocating saw is a good choice because the blades are cheap and you also might want to have someone pour water on it while you are cutting as it will help to keep the creosote "contained."

Someone mentioned earlier about disposable clothes and shoes. True statement so dont wear your Sunday best.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
No good way to do this,screws up bars and chains,rocipiting saws ,get lots of blades.K-1 or diesel for lub.Built one retaining wall in my life at costumers request,one was my first and last thirty five years back

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the RR tie is old the creosote issue won't be nearly as bad .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
So long as you don't hit any metal in the tie, cutting it with a chainsaw is no big deal. Might dull the chain a little but that's what they make chainsaw files for. As far as creosote dust, or what have you, if your saw is sharp in the first place, you won't be making any fine dust to breathe in.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I don't have a chainsaw.

Wait.... why not???? Good time to get one.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post