SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to cut a railroad tie to finish a project...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to cut a railroad tie to finish a project... Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I don't have a chainsaw. Any suggestions on hand tools or do I need a power saw? If so, what would be my best options?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I've cut them with a chainsaw without issue. Wear long sleeves...the creosote is quite a skin irritant.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
What size chainsaw blade do you have?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the op stated that he doesn't have a chainsaw ...A reciprocating saw will work . If it's just one cut a tree saw will get the job done .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I made three full cuts to rail ties with a bow saw doing landscaping at my parents house when I was 23. I remember it took freaking forever and I never wanted to do it again.

A you-tube video shows a guy make cuts on four sides with a circular saw, then finishing up with a reciprocating saw with a long blade for the center that the circular blade wouldn't reach. If I had to do it today with no chainsaw, this'd be it.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I've cut them with a chainsaw without issue. Wear long sleeves...the creosote is quite a skin irritant.

I have too.
Watch for the inserted metal which usually goes in the ends. Watch for any remaining nails.
Any blade size 16-20" would be fine.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Check into renting a chain saw, check your local Home Depot, many have a Tool Rental department.

Home Depot Tool Rental

It shows they rent cordless, electric and gas chainsaws.

Personally, I’d rather rent one. Use it, take it back, walk away. Nothing to maintain, get started, store fuel, mess with dull chains, etc.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Check into renting a chain saw, check your local Home Depot, many have a Tool Rental department.

Home Depot Tool Rental

It shows they rent cordless, electric and gas chainsaws.

Personally, I’d rather rent one. Use it, take it back, walk away. Nothing to maintain, get started, store fuel, mess with dull chains, etc.

Even if you have a chainsaw, consider renting/borrowing as railroad ties are nasty. If the cut isn't going to be seen, a recip or old circular saw will do - and if you do a good job, it won't look bad

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear a mask when you cut.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you are in Central Florida, I can cut it for you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For just two cuts (you know, when you screw up the first one), renting is your best bet. And a chain saw with a 12-14" bar is sufficient. Depending on how fresh the creosote is, you might want to have some acetone or paint thinner handy to wipe the bar before you return it.

Don't expect the cut to be particularly accurate or square, if this matters, a more easily guided saw is your go-to. I like the circular saw four ways finished off with a Sawzall, but if neatness really matters, e.g. for a nice-looking retaining wall, I'd suggest using pressure treated landscape timbers rather than ties.

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

A you-tube video shows a guy make cuts on four sides with a circular saw, ......

that's what I did. Cut, turn, cut again, turn again.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a long response typed out on the evils involved in cutting ties, but it brought back traumatic memories. I hated cutting them until I came up with the perfect solution:

Get a cheap bow saw and pay some local teen with more muscles than brains to do it for you.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recip/sawzall

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Put any saw next to the tie, with implicit instructions not to cut it "right here", in front of a couple of 10 year olds, and go watch a game.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

A you-tube video shows a guy make cuts on four sides with a circular saw, ......

that's what I did. Cut, turn, cut again, turn again.

I've done this and a chainsaw. Just make as sure as you can that there are no spikes, nails, staples, etc. still in the tie.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Put any saw next to the tie, with implicit instructions not to cut it "right here", in front of a couple of 10 year olds, and go watch a game.
Pro tip: Have bandages and clotting powder handy. (But with 10-year-olds around, you're probably already equipped.)

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haul it to the tool rental place and giv'em $10.00 to cut it for you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Ties are usually treated with creosote.

Wearing a mask for this task is a must.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
"Any suggestions" The guy I bought my house from
put used free railroad ties all over the place. I've since got rid of them years ago for good reason. They are insect super farms for everything imaginable both in them and under them. Good luck!

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post