SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fumoto oil drain valve
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fumoto oil drain valve Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
https://www.fumotousa.com/f-104.html

Any one have any issues with these. Specifically coming open on its own or leaking from the ball valve. Thinking on putting one on my 22 Ram 6.7 to make oil changes a little easier. Thanks

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looked at it, decided the 30 seconds to remove the drain plug didn't warrant it, although, it would eliminate the wear and tear on threads from taking the plug in and out over years as well as damage from overtightening it.

We put on on a friends Harley, it slowed the oil drain flow down quite a bit, so much that he took it off.

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would be afraid to use one around here with the way people vandalize cars.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had them on three different vehicles over the last 20 plus years without and problems. The one on my 2006 went on with the first oil change and has been there ever since.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was just about to put one of these on my Jeep Wrangler. I'm curious as well anyone else with experience with them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have had them on all my vehicles since 2009 Two Rubicons, a Corvette, Motor coach 500 ISM, 2018 duramax, and a Subaru Outback. Not one issue with it leaking or opening up.
Came in handy with changing oil on all, but the most with the motor coach changing out 10 gallons of oil being able to stop it and switching 5 gal pails.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I dont see the point of the Fumoto oil drain valve. Adds another point of potential failure in the oil system. There is a reason they redesigned them over the years.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Outback and also on another family vehicle and one that I traded in too.

Zero issues with leaks. Zero issues with the lever coming out of the slot. Zero issues with the lever moving to the open position unless I moved it.

If you're concerned about the lever, their either sell or now include, a little black plastic retaining clip. That too has never moved.

I've given them away as gifts. It's a worry free product that makes oil changes easy and mess free.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Dodge Ram. Keeps the oil from hitting a sway bar and splashing all over the place. No issues.

Posts: 11147 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I use the Stahlbus drain plug. No issues.

Posts: 9000 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Five vehicles, 400,000 combined miles, no issues.

Worrying about an increased risk of vandalism is just plain silly. That Implies someone would know you have one of these valves. Otherwise, they'd show up with a wrench to drain your oil. And a jack for most vehicles. And screw drivers, nut drivers, etc. to remove the panel u Der the engine many new vehicles have. Ya, that's gonna happen.

The lever that opens and closes the valve is spring loaded and held into a notch when closed. They make a clip that prevents the lever from coming out of the notch if you are really worried about it.

Since the OP asked about it for his truck, here's the oil change on my truck:

I slide myself and three empty 1 gallon jugs from the last oil change under my truck. It's tall enough no ramps or jacking is required.

I attach the plastic adapter and hose I purchased with the valve to the valve, place the other end into an empty jug, open the valve, fill the jug, and close the valve. I repeat this two more times. I bang a hole into the oil filter and let it drain into a pan. I slide the three gallons of used oil out from under the truck and fill the new oil filter with new oil while the old one drains. I remove the old filter and install the new filter.

I don't get oil on my hands while removing the drain plug. The old oil is in containers ready to be dropped off at WalMart, the auto parts store, or the county transfer station; whichever I happen to drive by first.

It really saved time when I had a brain fart and dumped a whole jug of oil in my wife's vehicle once. I knew it took 4 quarts and had just done my truck. The truck's oil come in gallon jugs, but the cards oil comes in 5 quart jugs. It was nice to be able to drain a quart out so easliy.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The creator of the vid didn't pinpoint the cause of failure but a couple of things come to mind that would lead to that failure.

If you put it on with a wrench on the the front of the valve, a stress fracture and failure are not unheard of aka you didn't put in on right. 19mm crow's foot is the right tool and then torque down to spec.

Also making me suspect that it was installation was that there was no damage to any other part of the car from hitting an obstacle. No scuff marks or other indications of contact with anything and he himself said he didn't hear anything at all.

Your house has these types of valves for the water supply, your water heater and perhaps your toilet inlet pipe too. This type of valve is proven for durability and not failing.

Come in from the cold...

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve had no issues except my car clearance isn’t quite enough to get a good visual and I struggle to remove the plastic safety clip and get it open and vice versa.

I saw a slightly different version/brand on Scotty Kilmers YouTube channel that I’d rather have used. But I forget the brand.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Zero problems in 14 years and 3 trucks, love them.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Have one on the Wife's Subaru. Easy peasy.

Have a Valvomax on my Tahoe, like it too.

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas, ordered one and will give it a go.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been running these for years on a fleet of semi trucks. Oil draining is much cleaner and no issues with the valve.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. When our new-to-us Expedition & Explorer are due, I may look at adding one of these on both.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the ones I have seen (I don't use it myself but often do oil changes for others), as far as coming open on their own, they look pretty much foolproof. The oil does come out quite a bit slower. However, on some cars that have thin oil and a large drain plug opening that ordinarily makes the oil come out like a firehose, this could be an advantage.

Posts: 27817 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post