SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just found out a friend...got lucky as you-know-what.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just found out a friend...got lucky as you-know-what. Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

I worked for a former Army JAG prosecutor.

Whenever there was a case involving adultery, he always charged the person with a 134 violation and rape.

If the defendant said the sex was consensual, BOOM!, it was admission to the 134 charge. If the defendant said it wasn't adultery, BOOM! admission to rape.

In either case the defendant was toast and backed into accepting a plea deal.

You lawyers are tricky-good!
Next ask him when he stopped beating his wife. Smile

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is the same guy, WAVY reports he was found Guilty of sexual harassment and battery.

WAVY

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

I worked for a former Army JAG prosecutor.

Whenever there was a case involving adultery, he always charged the person with a 134 violation and rape.

If the defendant said the sex was consensual, BOOM!, it was admission to the 134 charge. If the defendant said it wasn't adultery, BOOM! admission to rape.

In either case the defendant was toast and backed into accepting a plea deal.

You lawyers are tricky-good!
Next ask him when he stopped beating his wife. Smile
It's not nearly so simple.

If the suspect denies having sex with the alleged victim (or makes no statement at all), the prosecution would need to prove there was actually sexual contact between the parties.

There is no "Catch-22" that guarantees a conviction.

Further, in cases where a rape/sexual assault is charged, and both the suspect and alleged victim admit to consensual sex at some point (like this case), some prosecutors are leery of charging the 134 Adultery as it raises questions of fairness if the alleged victim is not also disciplined for the admitted Adultery.

Suffice to say these cases can be very complicated.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Verdict could have been much worse, but it sounds as though the woman is being vindictive.

http://www.sandiegouniontribun...-20170323-story.html

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
If this is the same guy, WAVY reports he was found Guilty of sexual harassment and battery.

WAVY
I just checked the MCM and looked for recent amendments (most recent being done by EO in late 2016), and can't find a charge for "sexual harassment." Confused

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yep. Could have been much worse. Now just waiting for the fallout.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Possibly Article 93 Cruelty and Maltreatment, which includes language related to "sexual harassment," bit I didn't see anything in the prior stories about an Article 93 charge. Confused

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Are the convictions for the civilian versions of misdemeanors or felonies?

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I remember hearing about this at the time. Sad for all involved. Lessons great and small for all in this, especially the "don't dip your wick in crazy" and just don't unzip.

Sea wives etc so rarely works out well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sexual harassment should fall under Article 120.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only place the term "sexual harassment" appears in the MCM is in reference to Article 93.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Are the convictions for the civilian versions of misdemeanors or felonies?
A recent update lists "aggravated assault" which is punishable by up to five years, and a dishonorable discharge. If that is correct, it is obviously punishable by more than a year in prison, and is a "felony. "

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
The only place the term "sexual harassment" appears in the MCM is in reference to Article 93.

Correct.

Also read Article 120. "As part of the FY 2006 Military Authorization Act, Congress amended Article 120 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), effective for offenses occurring on and after October 1, 2007. Article 120 was formerly known as "Rape and carnal knowledge," but is now entitled "Rape, sexual assault, and other sexual misconduct.""

posted Hide Post
89 days in the brig, RIR to E6. No mention of discharge after the brig time.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOW

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6218 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting sentence. Wonder if there is the possibility of reinstatement.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

My take is:

1-Sounds like the judge bought the story of the sex being consensual.

2-SEALs are expensive to train.

3-See #2.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't see anything in the sentence where this would even be a necessity. Seems like 89 days from now, he's back to work.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Confused

Posts: 2938 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:

I didn't see anything in the sentence where this would even be a necessity. Seems like 89 days from now, he's back to work.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Confused

Reinstatement of rank.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thought it would be worse.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post