SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple AirTags Are Very Cool
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple AirTags Are Very Cool Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I only have one right now hidden deep in my truck that a thief wouldn’t probably be able to find. I have driven around without my iPhone and only my work iPhone and never got a notification there was an AirTag in the area but maybe I didn’t do it long enough. I like the luggage idea.

I have them hidden in all our vehicles. Good piece of mind for theft recovery..hopefully recovered without the police pursuit and crash Razz

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a couple calls where these are used to track the ex or the attentions of a stalker/harasser.

Just like everything good people use it for good and bad people fuck it up for everyone.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
We have had a couple calls where these are used to track the ex or the attentions of a stalker/harasser.

Just like everything good people use it for good and bad people fuck it up for everyone.

So they knew they were being tracked...
If you have an iPhone it will let you know you are being tracked. If you don't have an iPhone or stay nearby with someone with one it can't track you.

While it is something to be aware of I simply don't see the unwanted tracking thing to be the big deal it is made out to be, especially if you have an iPhone yourself because unlike many other tracking options one could deploy, it can let you know you are being tracked.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put one on my truck key ring. A couple of times its saved me an untold amount of time locating them vs where I thought I left them.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have them on my keys fobs and one on my wallet.

Have come in handy several times as my wife has a habit of putting things away for me in places where I wouldn’t put them.

If you have iPhone 11 or higher, they will actually show you which direction to go to locate item.

Interesting point though, they are “2D” only for direction. I found this out after spending 20 minutes in the laundry room going through clean clothes, dirty clothes, washer, and dryer looking for my keys.

Anytime I went away from the laundry room, phone would tell me I was getting farther away. Turns out they were on my nightstand upstairs where I very, very rarely put them. Nightstand is right above the laundry room, would be nice to have an indication if the tag is above or below you as well as left/right/straight ahead

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too put one in my checked bag. I had a flight delayed causing me to miss my connecting flight at Heathrow. It was great relief to me to see my bag at Heathrow and then on my rebooked connecting flight.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
If you have iPhone 11 or higher, they will actually show you which direction to go to locate item.

Actually, you can do it with lower than iPhone 11 as my XR does this also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
How do they compare with tile?

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBobAries:
How do they compare with tile?

Dan

As far as I understand they are similar, except that tile can use every phone using the tile app to update its location and AirTag uses every iPhone to update its location, and I’d bet a lot of money that there are a lot more people carrying iPhones than there are people using the tile app on their phones. Because of that I’d say the AirTag is probably way more likely to be able to have better location updates.

I have 5 AirTags total, 3 are not with me. 2 of those have updated location info in the last 15 minutes, 1 was 90 minutes ago but in a location that I’d expect that at this time of night.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
For those who hide them in their cars, does it make them harder to send and receive a signal? I'm thinking of sticking one in the console safe, but was wondering if it will even work inside the metal box.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
For those who hide them in their cars, does it make them harder to send and receive a signal? I'm thinking of sticking one in the console safe, but was wondering if it will even work inside the metal box.

I keep mine one in my car and have no noticeable communication issues. I don’t keep it in a console or safe though, mine is in a small pocket in the rear compartment of my SUV.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is concealed in an empty child seat attachment point that has a cover on it. Full view of the sky out the back window. If that matters. Alerts my phone when I am about 100 feet away from the car. Most of the time. I have an IPhone XR so a newer phone should alert you at a shorter distance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Are these Air Tags better than an Amazon Tile? I mean, aside from not being an Amazon product.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Are these Air Tags better than an Amazon Tile? I mean, aside from not being an Amazon product.

Been awhile since I looked at the tile stuff but pretty sure they are based upon the tile apps active around them.

The AirTag is based of any Apple device so I would guess there are far more Apple devices out their compared to Tile apps.

So would say the AirTags are likely better.

Also I do not believe the Tile is an Amazon device.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Can these be tracked on an Android? Do they require a svc plan to keep alive?

Samsung Galaxy smart tags.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
quote:

Samsung Galaxy smart tags.

We're a mixed house, I'm Android, she's iFruit.
So, either 2 per so we could both track or something else.
Kids' backpacks was what I was thinking.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

According to this, Apple has a counter for that:

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I had the original Tile and they did not have a replaceable battery so you would need a new Tile every year. I quit buying them for that reason. I not 100% but I think they have corrected that misstep.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd give 'em a try, but, what I really need 'em for is finding stuff I mislay around the house--like the keys to the microbarn. Unfortunately, precision locating like that requires an iPhone with a U1 chip, which my iPhone SE (2020) lacks. So, no use to me. (The 2022 SE lacks the U1 chip, as well, in case anybody's wondering.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, but Samsung makes their own version. I am unsure if they work with ALL android, or just with Samsung android devices.

We used the apple ones for the same reason as the OP, when we flew to CA last month. It worked great. Had to have the wife use it as she uses Apple devices and I use Samsung.

I might give the Samsung version a try.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post