SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple AirTags Are Very Cool
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple AirTags Are Very Cool Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
We have had a couple calls where these are used to track the ex or the attentions of a stalker/harasser.

Just like everything good people use it for good and bad people fuck it up for everyone.

From what I understand, and my wife was the one who researched it and told me about it, is that if you use an iPhone, and someone ELSE puts an airtag on you or your stuff and it follows you, your phone will alert you that it detects an airtag following you.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been trying to figure out response time. Seems like there is a lag in detection such. I don’t want to already be home and find out someone has tagged me. Another example of woke engineers and lack of exception handling. Life must be good in unicorn utopia land.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’ve been trying to figure out response time. Seems like there is a lag in detection such. I don’t want to already be home and find out someone has tagged me. Another example of woke engineers and lack of exception handling. Life must be good in unicorn utopia land.

Looks like Apple is working on that, modifying the code to make it faster. Probably pretty easy to do but also easy to overlook.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/...fety-update-stalking

Edited to add: The link I posted is to an article from February 2022 and Apple stated it would be done by the end of the year.

There was just a major update to the OS of the Airtags and in fact it's still going on and they jumped up several revs so it might be done now and they're waiting until the update is done to announce.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bettendorf man arrested for allegedly stalking victim with Apple AirTags
by: Natasha Keicher

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 / 03:21 PM CST
Updated: Dec 10, 2022 / 03:21 PM CST

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa — A Bettendorf man was arrested for allegedly placing Apple AirTags on a victim’s car and stalking them.

Carl Steven Shawver, 63, was arrested and charged with Stalking and Stalking – Unauthorized use of GPS early Saturday morning.

According to court records, on December 5 the victim located an AirTag sitting on top of the spare tire after their phone alerted them that their travels were being tracked with a GPS device. West Des Moines Police took the AirTag and placed it into evidence at the station.

The next day Shawver allegedly arrived at the West Des Moines Police Station in search of the victim, who he claimed was his wife. According to an affidavit Shawver told officers that he had placed the AirTag on the victim’s car because he believed the victim was having an affair at the station, which is why he was at the station looking for them, according to court records...

Complete article:

https://who13.com/news/bettend...-with-apple-airtags/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm unable to copy and paste any of the article. "To air tag or not to air tag" is about airline rules on air tags and batteries.

https://airwaysmag.com/to-or-not-to-airtag/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I'm unable to copy and paste any of the article. "To air tag or not to air tag" is about airline rules on air tags and batteries.

Meh. We had one in each of our checked bags when we flew two months ago. They literally DO NOT have on ON/OFF switch so there is no way to turn them off.

I had a ton of other electronic devices both on carry on and checked bags, and my pistol. No one said a word.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Texas man uses Apple AirTag to find man who stole his truck, kills him

Yeah, he probably should’ve let the police deal with this thief…

“A Texas man allegedly shot and killed a suspected thief after he used an Apple AirTag device to track his stolen truck nearly 20 miles away.

San Antonio Police said the truck owner called 911 after discovering that his Chevy Silverado was missing from his northside residence, but took matters into his own hands.

The owner, whose name was not released, along with two family members, tracked the truck using the gadget to the parking lot of a shopping center where they approached a man inside the truck which allegedly led to a confrontation, police said.

Andrew John Herrera, 44, died from a gunshot wound to the head, according to the Bexar County Medical Examiner, KSAT reported. His death is being ruled as a homicide. Officials are determining if the suspect who fired the gun will be charged.

The incident comes as Apple has faced criticism over the use of AirTag, [criticism from liberals, no doubt] most often used to track things like luggage and wallets, but have also been used for harm, like stalking former partners and public figures. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11930083

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
There are many other tracking devices like the AirTag.
Just like the lawsuit over Jewel e-cigarettes.
They just happen to be the best known.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I fly I have one sort of hidden in my locked gun case. Its nice to know that when I board the flight it lets me know the AirTag is nearby.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

They can blow me. Tags cost like $25 each. I’ll risk it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
On our recent trip to South America my suitcase didn’t make it from MIA to AVL. I went to the gate and the person said it should be on the next plane and they would call me tomorrow when they verified it had arrived.
The next morning I checked my AirTag and saw that it was indeed at AVL. I drove down there to get it and the staff was surprised to know that I had tracked the bag but they didn’t say anything negative and just got my bag.
I will always use them when flying.
I also have one in my Porsche in case anything ever happens to it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
My friend had to work in Mexico the last two weeks. I handed him my AirTag to carry around while he was away.

We joked about it a bunch, but it truly was pretty cool to be able to make sure occasionally that he was actually where he was expected to be.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
WSJ had an article in the last couple of days about a non-Apple tag product that works with the iPhone.
It's called the Chipolo Card Spot, and it's sold at the online Apple Store. It's credit card size and thickness so fits in wallet. Apple doesn't make anything that size. They are I think $35 with free shipping. I ordered two today. The review thought they worked very well with the Apple Find My app.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking forward to your review, Dr. T!

Hope your butt doesn't beep! Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Next: butt selfies!

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Next: butt selfies!

Without the hassle of using the office photocopier! Big Grin

God bless America.