SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple AirTags Are Very Cool
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple AirTags Are Very Cool Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
I used to fly around 20+ times a year, did so for over 20 years and always wondered if my checked bag would arrive, especially when I had connecting flights.

Well, now I only fly around 6 times a year, but I still wonder if my checked bag will arrive with me as I do connecting flights on a couple of those flights.

Not my idea, but I read something about putting an AirTag inside my checked bag and then using the "Find My" app that comes with the phone.

Well, it worked like a charm. Got to Phoenix airport, got to the gate and checked and it said my luggage was 300 feet away. Checked again just before boarding and it said the luggage was 80 feet away, so it was in the plane.

Got to my first destination, went out on the jetway to wait for Mrs. Flash's walker to be brought to us and checked the app. It said my luggage was around 60 feet away. It was then that I wondered if the walker had made it also and wondered why I'd failed to get an AirTag for it.

Anyway, got to my final destination airport, went to baggage claim and checked the app which said my luggage was around 80 feet away and sure enough, I looked up and it came down onto the baggage carousel.

Went to an Apple store where I was staying and bought another one for the walker.

Coming back, same thing, found out how far away my luggage was and also how far away the walker was.

Walgreen has a deal where you can get 4 of them for just under $80.00 or Amazon has them for $24.98/ea.

These things are great if you check bags and would also be good on a dog's collar if you let them roam on a ranch or something like that.

Would also work great for people who lose keys a lot, put one on your key ring.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Airtagged my EBike, my Challenger and BMW F850GS.
Cheap insurance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Neat devices but they suck as security devices. They beep to tell a thief they are there. You have to manually modify the device.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
There is a story in my local news about a disabled players hockey club that's here in SoCal and the U Haul their equipment was in was stolen from their hotel.

One of players had an AirTag in his equipment bag and they tracked down the equipment and arrested two people.

Some of the equipment had already been moved and the local hockey community will help them with the $35k replacement cost but thanks to the AirTag they recovered a lot of it.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I handed an AirTag to one of my technicians and asked him to carry it around for the day. It was pretty funny "watching" him cruise around Lowes at lunchtime. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13421 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have one on my keychain and another in a special wallet with an AirTags slot.

Last week, my keys fell out of my pocket and fell under my pile of scrap lumber. I didn’t hear or feel them fall out of my pocket. Next day, can’t find me keys and turned on “find me.” I never would’ve checked under the scrap wood in my garage and probably wouldn’t have found the keys for weeks/months.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I only have one right now hidden deep in my truck that a thief wouldn’t probably be able to find. I have driven around without my iPhone and only my work iPhone and never got a notification there was an AirTag in the area but maybe I didn’t do it long enough. I like the luggage idea.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
would also be good on a dog's collar if you let them roam on a ranch or something like that.

Only if a bunch of people roam your ranch with iPhones.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to get some and tag my backpack and carryon. I don't ever check bags unless I have to. Car isn't a bad idea either...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Can these be tracked on an Android? Do they require a svc plan to keep alive?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15148 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bought them as soon as they came out. Pack of 4. I have them on both vehicle key fobs, my house keys, and most importantly, my wallet. Prior, I’d routinely leave a fob somewhere around the house, in my gym bag, etc, etc. It was annoying. One time I had the house keys on me and I use this little fold the key thing so it’s ultra compact…well I must have accidentally dropped the house keys on the lawn somewhere when I was mowing. Took me an hour, found them. Another time at the park working the K-9 unit, same. So as soon as the tags came out, it was a done deal. Now when I don’t remember where I left any of the above, I can find it quickly. I can remember days of going through the trash (yuck), going through the dirty laundry hamper, and I even washed my DD key fob one time, thank God almighty it didn’t damage it.

I don’t travel often enough via flights to worry about luggage but I’m sure as shit sold on them. Apple, the got damn crack dealer.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
How far away do they work?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Can these be tracked on an Android? Do they require a svc plan to keep alive?

I've not heard of anyone getting them to work reliably on Android phones, as an important part of the tracking is the device is located by nearby iPhones when out of range of the over the air connection which is about 15~ yards. Also, there is no subscription. Just the initial cost of about $25, and replace the battery once a year. There are other devices made for Android, but I'm not up on those.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago I put 1 in each of 3 pieces of luggage. When we landed in Tucson, we found our luggage never left LAX. We got them the next day and could track them through the city.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4212 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yup, I love them. A few months ago my luggage didn’t make it home with me, but I was able to show the delta rep that my bag was sitting out on the tarmac right at the gate where we left from. She called ATL and sent someone over there and told me that it got left in a luggage cart.

Who knows where that bag would have ended up if I had not had that tag.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One in my car could have paid a big dividend last night. Wife had parked it at the airport in the temporary and very remote lot. Only took me about 10 minutes to eventually track it down in the darkness but the task would have been much more efficient with a tag. Need to look into them.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
would also be good on a dog's collar if you let them roam on a ranch or something like that.

Only if a bunch of people roam your ranch with iPhones.

This is key. AirTags don't gather their location via their own cell or GPS signal. They gather their location via proximity to other Apple devices.

So they only work in areas where there are people with iPhones nearby.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Neat devices but they suck as security devices. They beep to tell a thief they are there. You have to manually modify the device.

If they can hear it out on the tarmac or inside the belly of the plane, I'd be surprised.

But I don't use it as a security device I use it to see if they lost my luggage and to get the Airtag, they'd have to either pick my lock on the luggage (not too hard) or cut the luggage open, all to steal a $25.00 Airtag.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I handed an AirTag to one of my technicians and asked him to carry it around for the day. It was pretty funny "watching" him cruise around Lowes at lunchtime

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does the V in your name stand for Voyeur?? LOL

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Recent local article about these being used to track victims. Particularly domestic violence victims, but the opportunities are limitless.

I'm a bit of a paranoid fella. I don't think the cartel is after me (anymore), but I'd like to keep my options open.

I've ordered some to see if I can track myself without myself knowing I'm being tracked. Any other uses will be fluff.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post