SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacation ideas needed, 7-8 days, $6,000 budget
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation ideas needed, 7-8 days, $6,000 budget Login/Join 
posted
As the title says, looking for vacation ideas for my wife and me. Can be in the states or out. Time frame would be July - August. We’ve done all inclusive to the Dominican, and Jamaica before so don’t want a repeat of that. While I like historical things that’s not her cup of tea so please exclude those ideas. Also, renting an RV and touring national parks isn’t in the plans.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What state do you live in?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Haven’t done one yet, but I’ve always wanted to… how about an Alaskan cruise?

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cruise into SE Alaska-inner passage with excursions might be nice that time of year.
*Hah hah. Got beat by 3 mins on this*

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Italy, a Viking cruise maybe?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
An Alaskan cruise is on our eventual to-do list.
My grandmother used to do 2-3 cruises/yr.
Her advice on Alaska was that if you don't get a balcony room, you wasted your money.

The Viking/Italy sounds nice too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more specific....another beach vacation? jungle? urban? more activities? museums? food centric? distance limits? domestic only?

Posts: 14667 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live in TN, would like to hear from ones that have done Viking or Alaska cruises

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
As the title says, looking for vacation ideas for my wife and me. Can be in the states or out. Time frame would be July - August. We’ve done all inclusive to the Dominican, and Jamaica before so don’t want a repeat of that. While I like historical things that’s not her cup of tea so please exclude those ideas. Also, renting an RV and touring national parks isn’t in the plans.

So are you opposed to the Natl parks or just opposed to renting a RV to checkout the Natl parks? Yellowstone, Glacier and Badlands Natl parks are amazing and you can just drive your car instead of renting an RV or fly to Montana and then rent a car. If you've never been to any of the three parks I mentioned you're really missing out on the beauty of God's creation.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
https://www.orvis.com/complete...ledge-utah/2MEJ.html

The lodge at Falcon's Ledge is uniquely set privately on six hundred acres. Breath taking views of the surrounding canyon, still waters and wildlife will surely excite any angler fortunate enough to attend this school. The Guides and Staff at Falcon's Ledge are some of the most talented, friendly and knowledgeable in the business not to mention they are great instructors as well. While you're at the lodge you will enjoy gourmet meals made with the freshest ingredients. Spacious rooms with comfy beds and wonderful views.

Falcon's Ledge is the perfect location to learn to fly fish or to improve your skills. Our exceptional instructors can help anyone progress in their fly fishing. Whether you are a beginner who would like to get into the sport, or a more skilled angler looking to progress to another level, we have the knowledge and expertise to help. We provide all the newest ORVIS® equipment, fantastic amenities, and a beautiful setting for the ultimate fly fishing school. Our on-the-water instruction and practice on actual fish can't be duplicated on a city lawn or parking lot. We are excited to assist beginners catch their first fish on a fly and we can help intermediate and even expert fly fishers perfect their skills.

In this comprehensive school you will have the opportunity to fish for many different species of trout like brook, brown, rainbow, cutthroat, and more. Learn how to catch trout in many different scenario's like still waters, small streams, medium rivers, and large rivers. You will learn how to fish with dry flies, nymphs, and streamer as well as reading a variety of different types of water trout reside. The skills and memories you gain here will certainly last a life time.

Orvis has other shorter schools that are less expensive in various places around the US. Most are 2-3 day schools($500) you could learn fly fishing and then stay at local accomadations and rent guides for the rest of your week long vacation.

https://www.orvis.com/fly-fishing-schools

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have driven through some beautiful places in the US and Canada.
Last summer we did South Dakota, and enjoyed it immensely. With the budget you have, you can stay in some nice hotels/resorts along the way if you want to spoil yourselves.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1496 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've never spent close to $6k on a trip for Mrs. Lee and myself and we've been all over Europe and China many times. We may have spent $4k on a two week trip to Peru this past November, but we did a lot of side trips and had a lot of hired help.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If you can do the Viking River cruise for $6K, including airfare for two, give me your travel agency phone number.

Alaska cruise with Princess Cruise lines is great and with airfare inside your budget. Get a Mini Suite.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed a trip to Fiji several years ago. We stayed at the Coconut Beach Resort about 4 nights. If you are a bit more adventurous explore the main island, or do both. We stayed in Suva a night at the Grand Pacific Hotel...an old school hotel. One of the nicest I've ever stayed in.

Posts: 11173 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You like historical things but it isn't your wife's "cup of tea"? What does she enjoy? Travel typically involves one or more of these elements: history, culture, beauty/scenery. What would you be looking for? Here are a few suggestions:
https://www.vacationsbyrail.co...s/rocky-mountaineer/

https://www.vikingrivercruises...m-basel/pricing.html

https://www.americancruiseline...ssippi-river-cruises

I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
If you can do the Viking River cruise for $6K, including airfare for two, give me your travel agency phone number...

Viking is offering free airfare thru Feb 28, it would not surprise me if they extend the offer.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/

They have some 7-8 day cruises, but most are longer. We've done three river cruises with Viking in Europe, Egypt, and China, the shortest was (IIRC) two weeks. We had a great time. You're behind the curve for this summer, as many are already booked.

FWIW, we do not book directly with Viking, we use a travel agent recommended by member 229DAK.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
We did a Norwegian cruise line Seattle to Alaska round trip and loved it ! And we had a balcony room and highly recommend the same. Especially when cruising the glaciers.

At Skegway and Juneau we rented a car far ahead of time. Best decision ever ! In Skegway we were able to drive way up north into the Yukon visiting places before the cruise tour buses at a fraction of the price, and the same out of Juneau.

Ketchikan is a walk about city so no need for a car. However, the stop in Victoria the cruise ship is a long friggin' way from the city. We got off the ship fast and got one of the horse carriages into the city ... dang super plus worth it ! But, heading back to the ship we walked, and that sucked big time, wished got a cab.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My river cruises in Europe were with Avalon Waterways (now part of Globus), one of Viking's competitors, arranged for via Affordable Tours. My US river cruise was with American Cruise Lines.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Do you want a vacation where you can sightsee or would you prefer to just stay put and relax? Do you prefer warm/hot or cooler?

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open to sightseeing but a lot of hiking/walking is going to be a challenge for my wife. Can go either hot or cold.