SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacation ideas needed, 7-8 days, $6,000 budget
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation ideas needed, 7-8 days, $6,000 budget Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The ugly side of the cruise industry, while very convenient, depending on cruise-line and itinerary package, you're completely insulated from the location you're visiting. Might as well go to Disneyland for an isolated, curated environment, detached from wherever you're at. Venice Italy pushed back hard and limited cruise ship visits because of the disparity those ships brought and nobody benefited. For visiting Alaska, I get it, for the majority of people, it's their ONLY time visiting the state, and the Inland Passage is isolated so, travel by ship is the easiest way to see things.
If it were me, I’d do a 1-way cruise from Washington State to Seward, AK. Spend a few days at Princess’ Seward Lodge and explore Seward (my favorite place in Alaska). Take the train up to Anchorage and get a rental car. Go wherever you want in Alaska.

Fly back out of ANC or FAI.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23281 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Question for those who cruise out of Seattle, how was the makeup of the people on board. Out of Vancouver it was filled probably 40 to 50% Asian mostly Chinese.

There was a bug going around on the ship as well, I didn't get it nor did the wife but a couple in our group did come down with the squirts...

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did a Royal Caribbean out of Seattle last September. It was great. Most of the passengers were from the US, mainly middle aged and older Americans from what I could tell. A few young families, but not many.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
The ugly side of the cruise industry, while very convenient, depending on cruise-line and itinerary package, you're completely insulated from the location you're visiting. Might as well go to Disneyland for an isolated, curated environment, detached from wherever you're at. Venice Italy pushed back hard and limited cruise ship visits because of the disparity those ships brought and nobody benefited. For visiting Alaska, I get it, for the majority of people, it's their ONLY time visiting the state, and the Inland Passage is isolated so, travel by ship is the easiest way to see things.
If it were me, I’d do a 1-way cruise from Washington State to Seward, AK. Spend a few days at Princess’ Seward Lodge and explore Seward (my favorite place in Alaska). Take the train up to Anchorage and get a rental car. Go wherever you want in Alaska.

I would go a bit further, train from Seward to Anchorage, then train from Anchorage to Denali.
Spend 3-4 nights at one of the lodges in Kantishna, within Denali NP. Bus ride to lodge, through the park, you'll see spectacular views and high likelihood of wildlife, to include grizzlies.
Train from Denali either back to Anchorage or, up to Fairbanks. Return to lower-48 from either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

I like this idea, may look into that for maybe next year.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
This offer came today: https://www.affordabletours.co...204&utm_content=6451 I like Insight, their US tours use coaches with much more comfort -- more legroom and a very nice bathroom aboard. Haven't done them in Europe, but expect they are the same there. Some of their deals appear to be in line with the OP's budget.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post