SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120 Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you rescue people from the consequences of their choices. I the only way to fix it is if we start letting people suffer

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29720 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
As I always say: It's a lot more fun to make babies than to raise babies. Some people just get more "fun" out of their lives.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
This is what happens when you rescue people from the consequences of their choices. I the only way to fix it is if we start letting people suffer

I agree with your first sentiment wholeheartedly. The second is a little trickier. If only those who make bad choices suffer, fair enough. However, in this situation, we run headlong into unintended consequences.

Look at the per capita spending this school is forcefully taking from taxpayers on a yearly basis only to post such dismal results. Imagine looking at your classmates on the first day of freshman year and knowing that less than half of them will graduate. Then there's the issue of an educational system which allows a student with a cumulative GPA of 0.13 to somehow become a senior before detecting a problem. Now there's the question of what will be done to fix the situation and you can bet whatever cockamamie solution is proposed will involve large sums of taxpayer funds.

Ultimately, the taxpayers will end up suffering much more than those whose bad choices started this whole saga in motion.

Posts: 7318 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
As I always say: It's a lot more fun to make babies than to raise babies. Some people just get more "fun" out of their lives.

More profitable, too. Every kid increases the amount of welfare money the single mother gets.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A child's shoulders were not made to bear the burden of their parents' choices.

It's easy enough to blame a teenager who is nearly already an adult. He should be old enough to be responsible for his own choices--the consequences of skipping school and playing xBox everyday should be readily apparent to him.

But, his problems didn't start as an adolescent. From the moment he was born, his chances of success are largely shaped by the environment of his parent(s)' choices. You see an underachieving adolescent now, but at some point he was just an innocent kid raised in a bad environment. From that perspective, I feel bad for him and kids like him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s really easy to fall into the trap of thinking that people raised in these environments are destined to be net losses to society. That may be true in many cases, maybe most, but it it can’t be in all. There’s a huge opportunity cost for every person that ends up as a net consumer of resources when, with a little guidance, they could have been at least neutral. Then there’s the extreme cases that almost surely exist as a matter of sheer probability - maybe the person who would cure the cancer I’ll be diagnosed with in 30 years was killed in Chicago last year. All of these people had potential, and some had a lot.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Drug culture plain and simple.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

This is both a profound statement and a disturbing one. This is what is happening to so many of these kids, Their parent(s) abjectly failed them. They flat did not care and made it someone else's job.

Posts: 4022 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Again, we need to stay focused to see the real problem(s) here. Ultimately the kid and even mom are simply symptoms of the real problem(s), that being government meddling in societal issues. Listening to Thomas Sowell discuss the issue, he notes that in the 1950's the rates for divorce and out of wedlock births were lower in the black community than they were in the white community. During this time more blacks joined the middle class than ever before. Then government stepped in an began its efforts at social engineering. Now out of wedlock births in the black community are somewhere near +70%, marriage has all but disappeared as it has exactly zero value associated with it, and poverty is the norm rather than the exception. This is where this issue (and many others plaguing society as a whole) began. Its easy to blame the kid or mom, but the truth is found much deeper. And as it stands today, I see nothing that is going to change that paradigm.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is LBJ's plan to perfection. I hope that son of a bitch rots in hell. He set out to destroy the black family and make it dependent on welfare in order to keep voting democRat. It has worked for generations.

This along with a media that screams "systemic oppression" and low voter IQ allow this to continue and grow exponentially.

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I was a part of a research initiative looking at opioid addiction, school performance in Appalachia. It is depressing. This is not a poverty issue, it is not money issue (though many say it is). No this is a spiritual issue. This is about the 'impoverished mind'

A good read if you are interested is " Life at the Bottom Life at the Bottom" by Dalrymple.

A good look at modern education in America (although now dated) are Waiting on Superman (The story of America's Fail Academies)

And

The Cartel

God this shit breaks my heart. Now Que all the politicians and mindless drones that are going to bash Charter Schools. If you watch Waiting on Superman, pay attention to the scene where the parents of students in the fail academy, scream over the possibility of a new charter school branch, but do nothing to improve the school their child does attend. So I made a Meme:

classroom by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is that even possible. Just by showing up you should be able to get a 2.0 without even trying or a 1.0 without even doing a stitch of homework.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
Drug culture plain and simple.

Way, way more to it than that.

Drugs
Welfare
Always the "victim", never the "offender"
"Where's my free shit!?" - in turn, never having to do any actual work for anything (including a grade in school)
ZERO self control
ZERO accountability
ZERO family structure
ZERO self respect (and if you can't respect yourself, how are you going to respect anything else?)

Then lather, rinse, repeat about every 16-19 years for the next generation or rocket surgeons to pop out of a well overused uterus.

Then people wonder why a crazy amount of crime and a riot or two in places like Baltimore.
It's a head scratcher!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8358 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Way, way more to it than that.

Drugs --------------------------------------------> Root Cause = Government
Welfare ------------------------------------------> Root Cause = Government
Always the "victim", never the "offender-------> Root Cause = Government
"Where's my free shit!?" ------------------------> Root Cause = Government
ZERO self control --------------------------------> Root Cause = Multiple
ZERO accountability -----------------------------> Root Cause = Government
ZERO family structure ---------------------------> Root Cause = Government
ZERO self respect --------------------------------> Root Cause = Multiple

Then lather, rinse, repeat about every 16-19 years for the next generation or rocket surgeons to pop out of a well overused uterus.

Then people wonder why a crazy amount of crime and a riot or two in places like Baltimore.
It's a head scratcher!
Seems like there's a well defined trend in there....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
How is that even possible. Just by showing up you should be able to get a 2.0 without even trying or a 1.0 without even doing a stitch of homework.

He just didn't show up. If you figure an average of 180 days per school year times 4 years = 720 total days possible. He missed 359 days of high school. Had he missed one more day, he would have been absent 50% of the time.

Posts: 7318 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Let's chase this back to the absolute beginning. Question #1...Where's dad? Didn't see him in the video did ya. Probably a good reason for that. Question # 2...Where's mom? Kid was out of school 359 days in four years and mom never knew that or that he hadn't passed anything the few times he did go to school?

This whole problem starts at the very beginning, which is a complete breakdown of the family in the black community. Government has not only encouraged that to happen, but it's actively promoted it. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but every single problem plaguing this country can be directly tied back to an utter failure of government. We have what we have today because that's exactly what government wants.

You are right on target. What you see here is the visible tip of the iceberg of a subculture of drugs, violence, lack of family structure, toxic values, and perceived racial victimization. We see the problem more clearly in schools and prisons because these things are measured and counted. I have interviewed a number of inmates doing life sentences, and common themes were no Dad, no skills, drugs, and illiteracy. Many inmates never learned to read until they got to prison. So called public assistance programs of various stripe often serve to enable the problem. Government programs seem to encourage single motherhood on a broad scale.

I recall answering calls about middle school children from the hood being attacked at the bus stop by their peers for bringing homework home. Apparently doing homework makes you an Uncle Tom. A subculture with those values provides no hope for these kids to get out of the hole they are in. Some single mothers like Dr. Ben Carson's mother lift their children from the depths by placing a strict premium on education, but far too many of these kids have no positive role model, no discipline, no positive father figure, no life skills, and no hope. We know what the forces are that are at work, but we do not speak about it publicly or address it in a meaningful way for fear of being labeled racist. So government just keeps pumping in the free shit and these kids are lost. The grist mill just keeps turning out one generation after another. It is sad and frustrating.

My wife is a retired HS teacher. She had a black female student who emigrated from IIRC, Kenya,
who was bullied by other minority students for “acting white”. The kid kept her head down, did the work, and got an academic scholarship to one of the better private universities around here. Many of her peers are stuck in menial jobs.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I second your sentiment don't send these walking wasteoids into the military they are nothing and will amount to nothing. Odds are they will never hold a job and are the kinds of people you would avoid at all costs if you met them out in the wild.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I really hope the mother is serious about not letting her son become a statistic and she starts a grassroots campaign to get parents to take responsibility for their childrens' education.
You're kidding right? Listen to mom in that video. Mom is a moron, and a "it ain't my fault" personality type. She's not going to do anything of value to change this dynamic. And junior, as the Youtube guy noted, is already a statistic. Don't send him back to 9th grade, just recognize he's a defective good, eject him from school and have him enlist in the Army. Maybe they can help him develop into something of value to himself and society as a whole.

I'm willing to bet that she has more than 1 kid and little junior here will have kids at a higher than average rate.

He doesn't need to join the Army. The Army doesn't "make" anyone anything they are not. I don't need Soldiers like him taking a majority of my time with disciplinary problems. The mentality of dumping society's problems into the military has to stop. The military can help bring out what is inside of someone. The taxpayers have wasted enough money, putting this kid into the military absolutely is not the answer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

I agree with your first sentiment wholeheartedly. The second is a little trickier. If only those who make bad choices suffer, fair enough. However, in this situation, we run headlong into unintended consequences.

Look at the per capita spending this school is forcefully taking from taxpayers on a yearly basis only to post such dismal results. Imagine looking at your classmates on the first day of freshman year and knowing that less than half of them will graduate. Then there's the issue of an educational system which allows a student with a cumulative GPA of 0.13 to somehow become a senior before detecting a problem. Now there's the question of what will be done to fix the situation and you can bet whatever cockamamie solution is proposed will involve large sums of taxpayer funds.

Ultimately, the taxpayers will end up suffering much more than those whose bad choices started this whole saga in motion.

This is why I know the problem won't be fixed. It will only get worse until this and other factors drag the host down and kill it. Prepare yourselves.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29720 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prepare yourselves.
Oh, I'm prepared. Got my popcorn, my big orange drank, my fuzzy slippers and an inscrutable smile. You can start the Pinhead Parade anytime you're ready.

None of this is my problem. I won't be around for the world these fools are creating. And, yes, it's gonna be a disaster.

Posts: 107682 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Army or for that matter, any of the military won't take him either as they require either a H.S. diploma or a G.E.D.

No way he's getting either.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post