SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120 Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
This starts back at the elementary school. These kids show up and cannot read or write. I’m sure many of them have behavioral issues and the teachers just want them passed on. So by the time they get to high school, they cannot do the grade school basics. At this point, what is a high school teacher to do? They have been given a 9th grader with a failing first grade education.

You've raised valid points and each certainly contributes to the problems faced by this student's high school teachers. The early years are when the standards and expectations need to be set for both students and teachers alike. I doubt that most teachers favor sending those with educational and behavioral challenges on to the next grade beginning in kindergarten. Making 'social promotions' unacceptable in most instances requires a school board and school administrators who will agree on and embrace and enforce those standards They must also be willing to take on the inevitable charges of being guilty of the many 'ism's' which are routinely used to stifle criticism of those policies and practices which are designed to encourage teaching responsibility and expecting excellence from students and teachers alike.

A recent article in the local fish wrapper indicated that around 35% of the third grade students in my town were reading and doing math at grade level.

So, by the 3rd grade, they've already failed. Didn't take long, did it?

No, it doesn't take long. But compared to this situation with only 2 of 400+ students being proficient in reading and math, your town's 35% rate is exemplary!

Seriously though, that 35% stat should have raised serious red flags and triggered interventions way before third grade. With 65% of third graders performing below grade level, the likelihood of getting the majority back up to at least grade level is slim.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
maybe the goal is to produce uneducated children who will vote for democrats. Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Let's chase this back to the absolute beginning. Question #1...Where's dad? Didn't see him in the video did ya. Probably a good reason for that. Question # 2...Where's mom? Kid was out of school 359 days in four years and mom never knew that or that he hadn't passed anything the few times he did go to school?

This whole problem starts at the very beginning, which is a complete breakdown of the family in the black community. Government has not only encouraged that to happen, but it's actively promoted it. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but every single problem plaguing this country can be directly tied back to an utter failure of government. We have what we have today because that's exactly what government wants.

You are right on target. What you see here is the visible tip of the iceberg of a subculture of drugs, violence, lack of family structure, toxic values, and perceived racial victimization. We see the problem more clearly in schools and prisons because these things are measured and counted. I have interviewed a number of inmates doing life sentences, and common themes were no Dad, no skills, drugs, and illiteracy. Many inmates never learned to read until they got to prison. So called public assistance programs of various stripe often serve to enable the problem. Government programs seem to encourage single motherhood on a broad scale.

I recall answering calls about middle school children from the hood being attacked at the bus stop by their peers for bringing homework home. Apparently doing homework makes you an Uncle Tom. A subculture with those values provides no hope for these kids to get out of the hole they are in. Some single mothers like Dr. Ben Carson's mother lift their children from the depths by placing a strict premium on education, but far too many of these kids have no positive role model, no discipline, no positive father figure, no life skills, and no hope. We know what the forces are that are at work, but we do not speak about it publicly or address it in a meaningful way for fear of being labeled racist. So government just keeps pumping in the free shit and these kids are lost. The grist mill just keeps turning out one generation after another. It is sad and frustrating.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Democrats love kids like him so they can create more money dumps.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Principal Kamala Carnes being investigated for grade changing at previous post, Briscoe Academy.

Perhaps she's amended her ways and now revising grades down!

This kid's GPA a 0.13, the irony.

Link

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Quality and real education in America DIED about 40 years ago! And this proves it!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Consider this: he is above average.

Actually, you need to go back to school yourself. Average is 60, not 62. He's 2 below average.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^More evidence that the amount of money spent per student on education has Absolutely NOTHING to do with any actual learning by the students! But I'm sure you already knew that... Wink

Actually, that's more evidence the teacher's union will point to say they're not spending enough money on education. But I'm sure you already knew that...

I was surprised to hear of High School students graduating with higher than 4.0 GPA.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A recent article in the local fish wrapper indicated that around 35% of the third grade students in my town were reading and doing math at grade level.

Maybe I'm being simple-minded here but shouldn't a student with second grade reading and math skills be in second grade, not third? The "high school graduate with a sixth grade education" is a contradiction in terms that shouldn't exist - they are a person who aged out of the public school system after obtaining an elementary education and we should call them that, not pretend they successfully completed high school and hand them a (now-meaningless) diploma.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:

Maybe I'm being simple-minded here but shouldn't a student with second grade reading and math skills be in second grade, not third? The "high school graduate with a sixth grade education" is a contradiction in terms that shouldn't exist - they are a person who aged out of the public school system after obtaining an elementary education and we should call them that, not pretend they successfully completed high school and hand them a (now-meaningless) diploma.

Children whose parents (or some adult) read to them as infants and toddlers tend to read above grade level when they get to school. (You know, like Dr.Seuss books) Trouble is, parents need to know how to read themselves, and have the willingness to do so. It is a vicious downward spiral. It is not just a problem in minority communities, I have encountered a number of whites who were illiterate, mostly because they had parents who were illiterate or did not give a damn. The trouble with education is, if you don't get it, you don't know what you are missing until its too late.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Actually, you need to go back to school yourself. Average is 60, not 62. He's 2 below average.
Maybe, maybe not.

There are three kinds of "average" -- mean, median, modal, so it depends which "average" you're talking about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Lefty’s running the educational system with AWESOME results Frown.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
And again, you're missing the obvious. This outcome is exactly what leftists want. Children with zero reading, math, or any other intellectual skills/abilities are easy to convince of anything and will always be a ward of the state. The last thing leftists need are educated, intelligent, kids who will question everything they see and hear.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I was surprised to hear of High School students graduating with higher than 4.0 GPA.

There’s an unweighted average and weighted average. The unweighted average is your typical 4.0 scale. The weighted average takes honors classes into account by giving them a half point more and college classes by giving them a full point more. For example, an A is worth 4.0 for a regular, 4.5 for an honors class, and 5.0 for a college class. Certain scholarships and such use the weighted average. Beyond this, I don’t know. I do know that my son will graduate high school with an AA degree from the local college and be able to transfer into any Florida public school as a junior.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do know that my son will graduate high school with an AA degree from the local college and be able to transfer into any Florida public school as a junior.

Wow - that can save you some serious $$.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
And again, you're missing the obvious. This outcome is exactly what leftists want. Children with zero reading, math, or any other intellectual skills/abilities are easy to convince of anything and will always be a ward of the state. The last thing leftists need are educated, intelligent, kids who will question everything they see and hear.

My post did not state whether or not the outcome was a result the left wants. I missed nothing. I agree with your hypothesis that the left wants useful idiots and will corrupt the education system to produce them. The sad emoji was because this is a huge net negative for society.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Wow - that can save you some serious $$.

Right? His high school junior and senior years, he'll be physically at the college taking freshman and sophmore classes.

My wife and I have put a lot of time and effort into raising our kids. Bringing it back to the topic at hand, my kids wouldn't go to a school like that and we wouldn't live in an area like that. My kids' education is 100% my responsibility and the schools, be they public or private, are the hired help.

It's easy to point out the failures in this story, but they boil down to a leadership failure at every level. I really hope the mother is serious about not letting her son become a statistic and she starts a grassroots campaign to get parents to take responsibility for their childrens' education.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of stupid here. On everyones part. The schools promoted him. The mother ignored the situation. And the kid just DNGAF.
And I think that this situation is a national security issue too. What are schools in China demanding of their students? This is just another way our country weakens.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom clearly never took any time or, interest in her son's schooling. Never attended a parent-teacher conference, likely never asked, spoke-up or, showed any concern for her son's academic work. Household likely has a television in every room with one of them on all the time, video games prevalent, no books or, magazines beyond the check-out stand celebrity-culture variety. Kid's bedroom is likely a jungle-gym of adolescent toys and piles of clothing, no desk or, designated area for homework. Zero thought or, consideration to look for tutoring or, summer schooling, nope, this parent's mindset is the school is supposed to do everything.

Some of the quotes talk about shutting down the school. Go ahead, those kids will get scattered about to the other schools, some will get a second wind and graduate on-time; the majority will likely fail even harder as they're ill-equipped and fallen behind the academic standing of their age peers.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
The parent(s) are to blame here.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

My daughter was one of those that graduated with a GPA higher than 4.0. To achieve that she took, and received credit for, college level classes in high school, while most of her peers opted for classes that required little to no effort. Harder classes should come with more reward.

Now almost 7 years later, she completed college (5 years) and received her Master's degree, has a good job and has paid off more than half of her student loans.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post