SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore high school senior has cumulative GPA of 0.13 yet has a class ranking of 62 out of 120 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just this week, some schools in Philadelphia opened for about 3000 kids pre K—2nd grade. They’ve been closed for a year. Next week a few more schools will open, again just K-2. Teacher’s Union wants “ventilation systems” before fully opening schools for in-person learning. Schools with that kind of performance certainly deserve anything the union wants, which in a nutshell is no not have to go to work and perform what is loosely described as teaching.

School District Announcement

NBC Affiliate Story

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Charlotte schools have been closed/virtual only for a year. About 3,000 students never showed up. If and when they start going back, the 3,000 start with grades of 50 rather than zero.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately this is an old story. I saw this in school from the 1960s onward. Back then, the term was "social promotion". Some minority kids who could barely read and write were not allowed to be failed, and they were advanced to the next grade over and over. They bascially did little to nothing. It was considered racist to fail them, and racist to put them into special education classes to address whatever learning issues or deficiencies they had (dyslexia, etc).

Political correctness isn't new; neither is Leftist sabotage of individuals and society.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Unfortunately this is an old story. I saw this in school from the 1960s onward. Back then, the term was "social promotion". Some minority kids who could barely read and write were not allowed to be failed, and they were advanced to the next grade over and over. They bascially did little to nothing. It was considered racist to fail them, and racist to put them into special education classes to address whatever learning issues or deficiencies they had (dyslexia, etc).

Political correctness isn't new; neither is Leftist sabotage of individuals and society.

Maybe not new, but I think political correctness has gained a lot of momentum in the past few years.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Maybe not new, but I think political correctness has gained a lot of momentum in the past few years.

It definitely has. The Left didn't suddenly pull off this political coup. They have played the long game in the USA for 100+ years, but you're right; it has gone into overdrive since Obama.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

It definitely has. The Left didn't suddenly pull off this political coup. They have played the long game in the USA for 100+ years, but you're right; it has gone into overdrive since Obama.

And I think it got a dose of nitro-methane in the fuel tank last year.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I really hope the mother is serious about not letting her son become a statistic and she starts a grassroots campaign to get parents to take responsibility for their childrens' education.
You're kidding right? Listen to mom in that video. Mom is a moron, and a "it ain't my fault" personality type. She's not going to do anything of value to change this dynamic. And junior, as the Youtube guy noted, is already a statistic. Don't send him back to 9th grade, just recognize he's a defective good, eject him from school and have him enlist in the Army. Maybe they can help him develop into something of value to himself and society as a whole.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back then, the term was "social promotion". Some minority kids who could barely read and write were not allowed to be failed, and they were advanced to the next grade over and over.
Amazing construct isn't it. We're not allowed to fail these kids because it would be embarrassing and/or detrimental to their self image. Yet allowing them to enter society unable to read, write, or do basic math is somehow not totally embarrassing and detriment to them? I guess you have to be a liberal to understand this concept. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I really hope the mother is serious about not letting her son become a statistic and she starts a grassroots campaign to get parents to take responsibility for their childrens' education.
You're kidding right? Listen to mom in that video. Mom is a moron, and a "it ain't my fault" personality type. She's not going to do anything of value to change this dynamic. And junior, as the Youtube guy noted, is already a statistic. Don't send him back to 9th grade, just recognize he's a defective good, eject him from school and have him enlist in the Army. Maybe they can help him develop into something of value to himself and society as a whole.

I'm willing to bet that she has more than 1 kid and little junior here will have kids at a higher than average rate.

He doesn't need to join the Army. The Army doesn't "make" anyone anything they are not. I don't need Soldiers like him taking a majority of my time with disciplinary problems. The mentality of dumping society's problems into the military has to stop. The military can help bring out what is inside of someone. The taxpayers have wasted enough money, putting this kid into the military absolutely is not the answer.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
One of my freshmen and her mother met with the vice-principal. I got called in as the student gushed about how much she liked algebra and how fun I made it. Mom then asked: but you used to like math before middle school?” The student replied “Yes but in middle school grades didn’t count. We just got promoted.”
You can imagine how hard it was to change that thinking.
Another student labeled himself as a “underachiever” and spent four years failing class after class. He never had enough credits to be in the 10th grade. I worked with him, his parents and put up with the well meaning vice principal. Nothing got through. Trade school? He didn’t want to.
He finally dropped out and, last I saw, was working flipping burgers.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm supposed to care and express concern about the consequences for the future of this country. I have to say, though, that beyond a perverse sense of pleasure at seeing idiots breed idiots and wallow in their idiocy generation after generation, I couldn't possibly care less that these drooling morons are being processed through a permanently broken system. This is what they want. This is what they should get.
Don't intervene. Don't try to help. It would be pointless. They don't listen. They certainly won't listen to you. And when they wonder out loud why little Juan-tavi'ous can't read, just shake your head and say it's a mystery.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
They certainly won't listen to you. And when they wonder out loud why little Juan-tavi'ous can't read, just shake your head and say it's a mystery.

Just reply they're stupid, just like their parents. They need that $1400. How else will they ever accumulate that much to purchase a new 75' TV? How are drug prices these days?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
1. No father in the home,
2. Zero was expected out of the child, so zero was invested into the child.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think the pattern / tactic changes but not for the better. I think this was the late 90s, we had a relative who's son got to some grade (sorry for the vagueness but I don't remember the specifics). In any case, the teachers wanted to hold back the kid and have him put on drugs for ADD or multi-letter disorder and because he couldn't read. Well, if they hadn't pushed him up the first time then it would have been fixed sooner.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't send him back to 9th grade, just recognize he's a defective good, eject him from school and have him enlist in the Army. Maybe they can help him develop into something of value to himself and society as a whole.

What makes you think the Army will take him? The military has standards too, i.e., not just physical ones. They won't accept someone in the bottom 10% of ASVAB scorers (a thinly veiled IQ test). Those who fall in the 10th-30th percentile must have HS diplomas - no GEDs. Those above the 30th percentile still require a GED at a minimum.

I feel sorry for the kid, b/c he probably has not had any positive role models in his life - not at home nor school. The school system has been complicit in 'passing the buck' his whole life.

At this point, what can we do to keep kids like him from becoming a drain on society? I say kid, but he's on the verge of legal adult status. Do we just accept that his most likely future will be as a criminal or inmate?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
At this point, what can we do to keep kids like him from becoming a drain on society?
Wood chipper

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Don't send him back to 9th grade, just recognize he's a defective good, eject him from school and have him enlist in the Army. Maybe they can help him develop into something of value to himself and society as a whole.

What makes you think the Army will take him? The military has standards too, i.e., not just physical ones. They won't accept someone in the bottom 10% of ASVAB scorers (a thinly veiled IQ test). Those who fall in the 10th-30th percentile must have HS diplomas - no GEDs. Those above the 30th percentile still require a GED at a minimum.

Well, John Kerry thought that's where they all go...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wood chipper

Why not the "parents", too?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
At this point, what can we do to keep kids like him from becoming a drain on society?
Wood chipper

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Wow - that can save you some serious $$.

Right? His high school junior and senior years, he'll be physically at the college taking freshman and sophmore classes.

My wife and I have put a lot of time and effort into raising our kids. Bringing it back to the topic at hand, my kids wouldn't go to a school like that and we wouldn't live in an area like that. My kids' education is 100% my responsibility and the schools, be they public or private, are the hired help.

It's easy to point out the failures in this story, but they boil down to a leadership failure at every level. I really hope the mother is serious about not letting her son become a statistic and she starts a grassroots campaign to get parents to take responsibility for their childrens' education.

YES YES AND YES
Which is why my wife and I went to 100% homeschool.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post