SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    South Carolina gun friendly?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Carolina gun friendly? Login/Join 
posted
Don't think there is a more gun friendly state than AZ but water and fire issues are spooking the wife, SO off to South Carolina we go. Closer to family, nice to see some green and rain. Get back to gardening and fishing.

SC concealed carry permit looks to be a pain, but they honer AZ and LEOSA so I'm good for awhile.

Greenville/Spartanburg area.

Any members there with input/suggestions?

Thought I would die here in AZ so I have a massive Liberty safe. Moving guy says noway, so will sell it and replace (I hope) there.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless you are inside the city, most of the rural south is very gun friendly and the city is likely to be in many places.
Sounds like you are legal in any case so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
You should have no issues in the GSP area of SC.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
NC and SC have been traditionally behind the states like TN, GA, FL, AL, Miss, Missouri etc when it comes to be more pro gun historically. They’re coming around some and I have no problem traveling with my TN permit nor did I with my GA permit when I had one. Look out for the SC and NC senators though, they appear to be RINOS in the latest anti gun legislation.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Spartanburg during the 1970's and early 80's. Back then, almost every business owner had a .38 special in a drawer or purse, and many business professionals (architects, lawyers, even dentists) carried a Browning High Power or S&W model 39 in their briefcase. At 15 years old, I carried a Colt Govt model .45 in the woods as protection from poisonous snakes, and no one thought it unusual. The current social culture in Spartanburg/GSP may be a bit different today than it was 40 years ago, but these good folks all grew up with guns as important tools. My experience in South Carolina has always been that if you're polite and discreet, concealed carry is accepted very broadly.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd make another run at getting the safe moved. It's a challenge for them but can be done. I'd point out that it was somehow "moved" to it's current location.
I have the largest safe I could get at Basspro. It got moved with the rest of my stuff.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
SC is very pro-criminal, compared to the Western states.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I went to the Carolinas once to pick up a puppy, and had to go through security again at the airport to catch my return flight. The security personnel were hilarious- they just said “ladies, check your purses, gents check everywhere else; I can’t tell you how many times a day I have to pull somebody out of line because they forgot to put their gun in the safe at home before they came out here today to fly somewhere else…” so I would have to say VERY gun friendly. Nowhere else in the world have I flown that the security has issued such a statement. We were all chuckling.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SC is very pro-criminal, compared to the Western states.

A guy and girl tried that fill up your garbage bag and go at the local kohls. Got blocked in in the parking lot and roughed up a little by several people. I believe they were quite happy to see the police arrive.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve split between SC and TX for decades.

Truthfully, I think I’d rather be on trial for self-defense in Miami or San Antonio, than in SC.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I moved to Arizona years ago I had a problem getting someone to move the safe, so I gave it to a friend and bought a new one as soon as we moved in our house.

Seems not too many movers want to move an 1,100 pound (empty) safe.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've spent a little time working in Spartanburg a couple of times over the past few years. The people are friendly and the cost of living seems low.

That being said I don't think South Carolina is as gun friendly as their neighbors North Carolina, Tennessee or Georgia.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My coworker is from SC. He says SC is full of "halfways" which are people from the NE who moved to FL but it was too far away so the moved halfway back.

Doesn't affect gun laws for a while, but as time goes on the "halfways" are likely to demand more laws like they had back home and elect like-minded politicians. Also, the type of people you don't want on a self-defense jury.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
While SC is more gun-friendly than states further north, the picture is probably changing in the more urban areas, such as Charleston County, due to the influx of people from the Northeast, and surprisingly, California and parts of the Midwest around the Lakes. In the Charleston area more places are posted. Until this spring, when I did my LEOSA qualification, all I had to do was show up and produce my retired LEO credentials, but recently those of us under LEOSA have been informed we must now produce a criminal history current within the past week, in order to be allowed to do our annual qualification (note: this may be County specific).

Posts: 153 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, the "upstate" area of SC is very pretty. If you enjoy the outdoers, there is plenty to do. I spent a couple of years there, and am now down in the Aiken area.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Currently live in SC...for the last 5 years. The state is friendly...places like Columbia (the capital) is not.

We have concealed carry--8-hr class is required, plus a range requirement. If you have a DD214, both are waivable. I took the class because a friend of mine wanted to get his permit and didn't want to go alone. In all, it depends on where you take the class. The class I took was full of Fudd anecdotes...but we fulfilled the requirement.

As of last year, we were allowed to Open Carry...but only if you had a concealed carry permit. Makes sense, right? Only in Columbia. We were a handful of votes away from Constitutional carry...but the usual suspects thought they would lose tourism money if "everyone carries a gun".

All in all, not a bad place to live in regards to gun laws. But the humidity...sucks...and I'm in the midland part of the state (about 40 miles from Columbia)

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
SC here also.

I have taken and received my concealed carry in Texas, Utah and SC over the last 30 years or so.

Texas and SC were very similar, but I think Texas at the time was a little tougher. Less shooting but more classroom time there. SC as previously said one day of class and the next day shooting.

UT was a joke, a couple of hours of classroom time and zero shooting. Instructor had us all bring our pistols/revolvers, why I do not know as not a single shot was fired. There were people there that had never shot a gun, getting their license. Maybe that is different now.

All in all I would say SC is just as gun friendly as Texas. I have had no issues.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live up n Spartanburg county. We have one of the most conservative, gun-friendly Sheriffs in the southern US.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post

Posts: 349 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I can’t advise you on the gun friendly question. I will tell you it may cost you more to move the safe than it’s worth. I say sell it in AZ and buy another one in SC. Good luck with the move.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post