SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    dryer air duct handling question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dryer air duct handling question Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I was cleaning my dryer vent ductwork from the outside using a flexible rod with the brush attachment, and the last segment of the rod broke off and left the brush stuck inside the duct tube exactly 14 ft upstream from the outside. I can't push it out with another rod/spare brush from inside the house, because there is a 90 degree hard pipe elbow from inside the house, thus I can't push anything through from the inside.

So I have two questions:

1. Any ideas on how to get that dam stuck brush out of the duct ? Note: I can't go underneath the house and disconnect it manually, I'm not well enough to do it.

2. I've called a half dozen hvac and mechanical companies in my area, and none of them will touch it. I guess there's not enough money in helping me out, though they are being stupid since I don't have a regular HVAC contract and I have three separate heat pump systems for a large house.

3. If HVAC companies don't do dryer duct type work, who does ? I may need a more direct route, ie, a whole new pipe and route, since the existing route is too long and convoluted. I can't believe there is no company that would like to clear the existing jam and advise me on a better route for a whole brand new line.

Any advice appreciated

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plummer? Or Handyman.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Seems like a good ask for a handyman in the nextdoor app

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would an electricans fish tape work? Push the tape through the duster head to the other end. Attach something larger to the fish tape and pull it back out.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Is the vent blocked to a point that you could or could not vacuum a string past the obstruction then tie something to the string that would allow you to drag the blockage back to you? Or can you blow it out with a leaf blower?

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Would an electricans fish tape work? Push the tape through the duster head to the other end. Attach something larger to the fish tape and pull it back out.
I'd try this, especially if you have the non-metallic type.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tape a hook made from a wire coat hanger onto the end of the broken flexible rod and fish the brush attachment out. It may take a few tries, but there should be plenty to hook onto.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'd probably drag out the good old plumber's snake, the one with the grabber end on it. By "grabber" I mean an open spring kind of thing, should be able to hook onto the brush, or on an attached part.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
Tape a hook made from a wire coat hanger onto the end of the broken flexible rod and fish the brush attachment out. It may take a few tries, but there should be plenty to hook onto.

That would be my first try.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call an Appliance repair place. They often clear dryer ducts.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Find a Duct cleaning service, they do dryer vent cleaning as well as whole house, Groupon, you local flyer we all get in the mail with listed services etc.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HVAC companies don't normally mess with dryer venting.

An appliance company is who you need to be contacting.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
HVAC companies don't normally mess with dryer venting.

An appliance company is who you need to be contacting.

Or a chimney sweep.

Around here, chimney sweeps are the ones who handle dryer vent cleaning and repairs.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's your location wrightd? Maybe a fine member could help you out.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Also what is your duct made of?
Is it a flexible piece of metalicized pipe? Is so , it would be better to have it replaced. Code requires metal rigid pipe and this is what you should have.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it's rigid pipe. I just bought a steel fish tape to try as gpbst3 suggested. I'm just thinking exactly WHAT to use as the "larger" item to attach to the end of the tape loop. Washcloth ? Maybe, but it could get wedged. I dunno. Needs more thought since if I wedge it alongside the obstruction, then I'll have THREE obstructions all colocated, aka co-jammed. How could something so simple get so complicated ?

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe drop one of these down with some paracord and maybe it makes it through and past the bristles, and the triangle shape will act as a barb and you can pull the brush out.

Or even a fishing hook might snag it just right.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Maybe drop one of these down with some paracord and maybe it makes it through and past the bristles, and the triangle shape will act as a barb and you can pull the brush out.

One of what, exactly ? I like the paracord idea, but a paracord WHAT widget thing exactly ?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

One of what, exactly ? I like the paracord idea, but a paracord WHAT widget thing exactly ?

I posted a picture of a triangle lead fishing sinker weight.

Maybe try something like one of these?

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
take a large trebble fishing hook and attach it to the electrical snake and maybe be able to catch and retrieve the item. .... drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post