SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    dryer air duct handling question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dryer air duct handling question Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Well I used an electrical snake and a drain worm snake, and the far end never appeared, which means the pipe is broken and open underneath the house, with the brush still stuck inside somewhere along its length. So I'm giving up. Going to look for a contractor who lays new duct systems for appliances, aka dryers. Not sure who that would be, since none of the HVAC companies I called so far have any interest in installing a new duct system going in a straight line (more or less) to the front of my house. I don't know why that is so hard to find. Plenty of contractors to install or replace HVAC duct systems, not sure why a dryer duct/vent isn't a variation on a theme, only difference (other things being equal) being the diameter of the duct. I don't get it.

Anyway that's were I'm stuck right now. At least the new washer is working nicely. We're hanging up everything outside on the clothes line and inside the house of drying racks - shirts, pants, underwear, socks, everything. At least it's winter, the air is very dry so everything dries quickly and completely.

If I was younger I'd go underneath the house and put in the new duct route myself. It's just too risky with my medical conditions and age. Never thought I'd end up like that, though that's a stupid thought in hindsight.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you'll need an appliance installer/handyman, not an HVAC installer.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Dang, I’d do it for you if you were close.

It’s tough to find folks for those jobs, especially now. It took me forever and cost way to much to get a bathroom fan fixed and they did a crappy job. I thought it was more than I could handle.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. I believe I suggested the appliance dealer as an option.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason Discount Tire will not change motorcycle tires...

Same reason why most HVAC companies don't work on fuel oil equipment.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
What's your location wrightd? Maybe a fine member could help you out.

^^^Responding to THIS post might generate a solution to your problem...

Where is 'Nowhere the constitution is not honored'?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Hampton Roads Virginia.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post