SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OK, What the hell is Burning Man?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, What the hell is Burning Man? Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I keep hearing about this conference, concert, seminar thingee. I hear tech execs and CEO's attend, I hear hippies attend.

In a few words or sentences please explain this to me. I honestly cannot tell what it is from the articles.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a week-long art festival, out in the middle of the desert in Nevada.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
A bunch of hippies on a week long drug bender with lots of sex and other naked people in the middle of the desert. With some art. And a big fire at the end.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
And probably 98.9472317% of those people you NEVER want to see naked... Eek It's essentially a modern-day Woodstock.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As I recall, it used to be a festival where you didn't need to spend much, if any, money to have a good time.

Not so much anymore now that rich people think it's hip to rough it in their $2M motor homes, with private chef, after flying in on a private aircraft (to avoid the traffic doncha know).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there was only an internet website where you could search for information by typing in key words and it would give you hundreds of results answering your question. Some day...

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A giant party/festival/concert in the desert, been going on for 30+ years.

They burn a giant effigy, hence the name.

50,000+ people attend.

Very diverse crowd.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
It's a place for Democrats to go act like Democrats.

You know, fornicate with people they don't know.

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a bunch of hippies on acid having a week long orgy in the Nevada desert. They make art and food and play music too. I’d imagine there’s lots of interpretive dancing as well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Last year a guy committed suicide by running into the burning man fire. So there’s that.

It’s a bunch of hippies on drugs that dance and have sex all week.

I have some old acquaintances on Facebook that go every year so I see the photos when they eventually post them. It’s something els.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:

Holy shit. I’m a Democrat! (Thanks for adding politics)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's far more than just Democrats or Hippies. I know dozens of Republicans who have gone at least once. And it's true, it'll be a mix of CEOs, hippies, college kids, all sorts really.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It's also a drunk guy at a Bills pregame tailgating a couple years ago. We really get into our tailgate parties.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:

Hopefully not on our nickel. But then they wouldn't be democrats.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
It's an art festival. No buying or selling allowed. People bring art, make art, become art, experience art.
Look up "Impotence Compensation Project" if you like fire cannons that shoot flames 300 feet in the air.
It was originally a very libertarian kind of experience. You could do whatever you wanted, even if it was likely to get you killed. Nobody could or would stop you. See "Drive-by Shooting Gallery". Think of topless chicks sitting on the roof of a Suburban, at a slow roll, firing full auto at an array of stuffed animals and you get the idea.
Also look up "Frogbat" on Youtube to see what the staffers do for fun, with weapons.
Many years ago, they banned weapons from the event. Until then, it was well attended by the Full Auto crowd. In 1998, my friend watched a guy lay out a half a dozen land mines in a string and set them off, for giggles.

It's more controlled, safer, and less cool, now.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Oh, and 1 more thing:

Even after the weapons ban, many of us still bring guns. Lots of them. We will drive out beyond the edge of the event, to the open desert, and practice. You have to keep it on the down low so someone who is inviting you to go shoot will ask you "Do you want to go to Church?" If you're known to have a 50 cal, everyone invites you to Church. Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don’t eat the brown acid

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Saw a bunch of Burners loading up at a Walmart in Reno today. Just normal shit for the man-bun crowd. Supply stores in Reno love Burners. Airport's busiest week of the year. They come from all over the world, but mostly UC Davis profs. Oughta see 'em next Monday after a week in the high alkaline desert. Everything looks like it has been wallowing in talc.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post