SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS to rule on NY carry law
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS to rule on NY carry law Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Here is the real deal from the SCOTUS Blog.

https://www.scotusblog.com/202...-mull-narrow-ruling/

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1538 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Eric Adams has warned New Yorkers that they should be 'very afraid' of what will happen in their city if the Supreme Court strikes down a long-held state law requiring gun owners to have a license in order to carry a firearm.

I lived in Texas when they first enacted the concealed carry laws. Many said there would be blood flowing freely in the streets. I can't find it right now but one of the most vocal opponents to that change wrote an article years later that basically said they were wrong - permit holders acted in a responsible manner - blood did not flow freely in the streets.

Now Texas allows concealed carry without a permit.

What these idiots miss is that criminals don't care what the law is.. they carry if they desire. The laws only impact law abiding citizens.

Hope the citizens of NY get the justice they deserve.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Most Excellent!
New York handgun law overturned.
Fuck those commie bastards!

https://www.scotusblog.com/202...concealed-carry-law/

I think I will call the NYPD in New York City tomorrow, and ask them how to get my NY unrestricted handgun license validated for carry in New York City. Just for the sport/fun of it.

NRA Instructor

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Hooray for Alito!

“Breyer’s dissent drew fire from Justice Samuel Alito, who filed a concurring opinion that was sharply critical of Breyer’s description of the effects of guns on U.S. society. That discussion, Alito posited, is largely irrelevant to the court’s actual holding – which, Alito stressed, “decides nothing about who may lawfully possess a firearm or the requirements that must be met to buy a gun. Nor does it decide anything about the kind of weapons that people may possess.”

More broadly, Alito pushed back against the contention by Breyer and New York that “the ubiquity of guns and our country’s high level of gun violence provide reasons for sustaining the New York law.” In Alito’s view, people want the right to carry a gun precisely because of those conditions. Just as he did at the oral argumentin November, Alito suggested that “many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791,” Alito concluded, “the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so.
…”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I note that the language of the opinions appears to refer only to "Handguns". It may be nit-picking, but that may be too restrictive. I suspect it would be difficult to "conceal" most rifles or shotguns, but I can imagine circumstances in which one might want to carry one.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the entire thing this afternoon. Alito's concurring opinion is a great summary if you don't want to plod through the majority opinion.

The Court correctly decided only the narrow issue before it, but the reasoning will be very helpful in future cases.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We need more threads on this one... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cee camp did a great job of summarizing the nightmare that is NY handgun ownership

Perhaps not crystal clear- to even own/ possess a handgun in any form in NY requires the permit.
To give an example of the silliness, say a soldier gets transferred from fort bliss Texas ( where he has owned and carried handguns for years) to fort drum NY. Technically he can not bring his handguns with him into NY. They would have to be left behind, he would need to apply for a permit ( long process and unlikely to happen moving to a place that requires local resident character references on the permit application) then have them shipped from ffl to ffl for transfer in NY once permit approved.

Back when I lived there I had the so called target and hunting permit ( back then someone as young as 16 could apply for a permit providing an adult in the same residence had a permit)
At 18
Later I requested a full carry permit - I cited being a medical practitioner who had possession of or access to drugs syringes etc. - rejected not a good enough reason ( ironic since if an MD applied for a carry permit they were granted pretty much automatic)
I appealed and was given business protection. As long as a prescription pad was in my glove box I was on business.
I changed employers and as required by the permit regulations informed the permit office of my employer change - they removed my business carry provision until the new employer would sign off on approving the permit.
I left it alone and shortly thereafter moved to a different NY county- went to get the new permit from that county and they informed me “ we don’t do restrictions- all our permits are full carry”

What a nut roll

I do hope this decision eases and standardizes things in my former state, and would like to think it would influence other discretionary issue states to shall issue, but I see the leftists putting every roadblock possible, including blatantly opposing the scotus ruling in front of gun owners

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The SCOTUS ruling has put Mayor Eric Adams’ knickers in a twist (chuckle chuckle):

“I have said and stated for some time now that the Supreme Court decision was keeping me up at night. It's clearly reached a point where we won't have any sleep. This decision is so impactful. When I spoke with my chief counsel, based on his preliminary analysis, I said, "Give it to me on a scale of one to 10." It's very close to a 10 of major concern that we have. While we're still analyzing the decision, we can say with certainty this decision has made every single one of us less safe from gun violence.”

https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of...supreme-court-ruling

Yeah, it’s bad Eric, very bad. You’re gonna have to get used to the idea bro.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Hopefully now the people of the state of New York State will be treated as free citizens and be able to protect themselves and their families instead of being treated like subjects controled by those who think they know what is best for their subjects. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Hopefully now the people of the state of New York State ...
As well as Illinois, California, Hawaii, and ...

SCOTUS essentially just made shall-issue the law of the land.

Now, about those pesky reciprocity rules...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that lives in MA.
He's got massive amounts of discretionary spending money.
Last I knew, he could carry in about 45 states.
His hobby other than shooting and guns is collecting carry licenses.
Me, other than my resident NY I have 3 non-resident licenses.
This allows me to carry in 35 states.
It's pretty simple. I just don't go to those other 15 states.
Workman Associates has an Android App for CCW.
I highly recommend it. It is a paid App however.
Yup, $0.99 per year.
If you travel with handguns, you need that App.

NRA Instructor

Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
It cracks me up how much hand-wringing and clutching of pearls these politicians are doing over the SCOTUS ruling. We know it's all theater...but I'd love to ask them why they should be concerned--because criminals don't care of the laws or SCOTUS rulings.

Sounds like they are concerned the citizenry doesn't have to kiss their ring to exercise an enumerated right...or that the citizenry recognizes they have rights to carry a firearm...

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
To understand NY carry laws, you first have to recognize NYS is comprised of NYC and rest of state. My friends and I have unrestricted carry permits for Upstate NY. Our permits clearly state they aren’t valid in NYC unLess approved by the Police Commissioner of NYC.

Absolutely correct. And having a NYC permit does NOT allow you to carry outside the five Boroughs. I worked for a company forty years ago that required me to carry in NYC and NY State. It was quite a dance to get both, but I did.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It takes a special kind of stupid to not understand that law abiding citizens who have carry licenses are not the problem

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
It takes a special kind of stupid to not understand that law abiding citizens who have carry licenses are not the problem

That sir is a quote worth re-quoting again and again.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out!

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Now, about those pesky reciprocity rules...

States still retain a tremendous amount of regulatory authority, but at some point the 14th Amendment has to come into play.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
...shortly thereafter moved to a different NY county- went to get the new permit from that county and they informed me “ we don’t do restrictions- all our permits are full carry”

CA is similar. Counties issue CCW as per the discretion of the sheriff unless the local municipality says different. Permit is good for 2-yrs and throughout the state, however as we all know, a prosecutor in an anti-2A county, can make your life quite difficult should you use, or police are called because somebody saw you carrying.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I will say that covid was a little bright spot of awakening to at least a small handful of people in my county. When they inquired about obtaining a pistol permit, only to learn that under normal circumstances it would take well over a year. They got flooded with applications, I have to wonder if those 2020 people have gotten them still.

But like I have to explain to my friends and acquaintances, nothing has changed. If you carry "out of class" (contrary to the admimistrative restrictions on your license), you're not breaking the law. And you weren't before either. In the past if caught they would suspend or revoke your license. They will no doubt do the same thing now. Only now, if you take them to court over it, several years and probably your life savings (and then some) later, you have the grounds to eventually "win".

But it's a start.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post