SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The hypocrisy of TV reporters acting as if a death, live on TV, disturbs them
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The hypocrisy of TV reporters acting as if a death, live on TV, disturbs them Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Bubble headed bleach blond,
Comes on at five,
She can tell you about a plane crash,
with a gleam in her eye!

I read that in Glenn Frey’s voice…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I am always angered by the "warnings" they give, that something may be disturbing or graphic. Well if it's disturbing, how 'bout you don't fucking show it?

Never happen.

Same with the vultures hanging around a crime or accident scene. Or talking to the camera standing outside the hospital or police station, as if that somehow has an effect on the story.

Loathsome.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t even know what suicide by cager means

A 'cager' is a car driver. Someone who drives in a 'metal cage'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I can't stand the "this video may be disturbing" and the video barely shows anything except some fuzzy guy and some gunshots and some fuzzy guy falling down. It's not disturbing if there is nothing it in that you can actually see that would be disturbing.

Now a close up of the cop with the shotgun putting down the thug with a slug to the head? That might be "disturbing", but I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over it.

If they are going to call it disturbing, it better be disturbing for real.

One of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen had no blood or gore or any close up graphics. It was of a man executing his neighbors in the street over an argument over shoveling snow. The nature of the cold blooded murder and the ultimate helplessness of the victims gave me nightmares, and graphically I've seen ten times worse in some movies. The stark evil and realism is what was disturbing.

So you might find watching the death of this motorcyclist as trivial (and I admit this video was not disturbing to me either), but I can certainly understand why it would be to someone else.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30424 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
[Maximus] ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?[/Maximus] - "I am about to perform a gymnastic dismount from the steel horse I ride."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one of Tool's best songs is called 'Vicarious'

lyrics fit this theme perfectly :

Eye on the TV
'Cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavour
It happens to be like;
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used the poison in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother
Holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying
Why, oh why?
'Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep he's dead, his impression of superman at impact was impressive.

Doubt it was suicide, he was lit up by the police, bolted and figured his 130 mph bike would keep him from being arrested.

It did in fact do that, just not in the way he expected, no way that car could judge the speed of the bike coming at it making the left.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I watch golf on tv for the flubs and the water dunks. The TV news can't claim they're cheering the bad guy to get away; so the other alternative is to hope something like what happened does happen.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19697 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If some of these newscasters were on scene they would be shaking and puking their guts out. One pedestrian hit by a train would do it.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Here is a different view of the same accident

Warning: this is a nasty view of the body hitting the ground

https://twitter.com/i/status/1484350084439363586

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's just like it says in the comments- if he had been vaccinated, he would have been OK.

I can't work up any sympathy for this guy. Imagine if he had struck a pedestrian at that speed.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yup, deader than Ceasar he is.

Thankfully, it does appear that the people in the car he hit likely survived and hopefully uninjured.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30424 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My sympathy lies with the victims in the car he hit.

Between dealing with their insurance company, possibly being required to pay any detectable on a totaled vehicle, and possibly not being able to afford a replacement because of the used car bubble vs. insurance pay-out; they still need to deal with the mental trauma and nightmares associated with the event.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
'Tis But a Scratch

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10932 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Bubble headed bleach blond,
Comes on at five,
She can tell you about a plane crash,
with a gleam in her eye!

I read that in Glenn Frey’s voice…

Don Henley Song.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:

As for the newscaster they see the results of what the police get to first, after a few years a certain amount of dark humor is used to distance our inner emotions. Ask any EMT or first responder - it was even a plot gimmick in Law and Order. Joe Fontana smarting off with some play on words about how the victim died.

She's no worse than cops or combat vets. You learn to laugh it off, or you can't at all. You also learn to keep that out of the public eye.

She likely knows that now.

No, she is a POS, she was fucking happy. I have seen my share of accident investigation files and I get where you are going with this but no, she was actually happy it happened during her portion of the broadcast.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's just like it says in the comments- if he had been vaccinated, he would have been OK.

I can't work up any sympathy for this guy. Imagine if he had struck a pedestrian at that speed.
He could have easily hit that turning car on the door and killed the passenger. Literally a matter of seconds.

Looked more like a suicide mission to me. You can easily outrun the cops on a bike like that without taking crazy chances like he was doing in traffic.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post