SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever see a hummingbird do this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever see a hummingbird do this? Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
Pretty big for a hummingbird compared with the ones I've ever seen.

Best I can identify, he/she has the following chacteristics:

• larger hummingbird species
  • Early Soviet/Chinese army green body
  • large magenta spot between medium gray top wings
  • lighter, dove gray underwing
  • medium-short, straight, black beak
  • long magenta, black and spotted white tail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
83v45 - Never Ever have I seen anything like this in my 62 years and we have hummingbirds every spring/summer/early fall. I have watched this video at least five times - amazing - must be very hot and/or dry and this one needed hydration….

Thanks for sharing….

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks about double the size of the ones I've seen here

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've seen them splashing in pools on the ground thousands of times - but never in a stream of water.

I've been fishing on Galveston Bay, several miles from shore, and seen them flying from the mainland to Galveston Island or the Bolivar Peninsula several times, so could be three or more miles over open water. And, apparently, some even cross portions of the Gulf of Mexico when they migrate. Pretty cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Speaking of NW HTown hummingbirds, my three feeders are getting a workout last two weeks!

love seeing them, hope they get strong for their flight down to Rockport and Mexico.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Not that large of a hummingbird.
But our small ones will fly into the water stream when I'm watering sometimes.

My watering stream is much softer more like rain when the hummingbirds fly into it.
Not like the video water stream.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It appears to be trying to "land" (light) on the stream.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not from a hand held hose,
But I've had water fountains in bird baths that did that on a regular basis.

The best was when a couple of hummingbirds flew around in 24" diameter circles,
dragging their asses in the water.

Underneath a mister

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve not seen that. But this year they fly right up to my wife’s face and hover there for minutes just looking at her. I’ve been on the deck next to her and they avoid me. It’s almost awkward.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen videos of hummers that will land on your hand and
drink sugar water out of your palm.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen that before, but quite cool. Thanks for sharing with us. My wife was in amazement. Loved the video.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I spent a half hour yesterday looking for a pic that in any way matched that birds markings and colors. Just in case anyone wondered, that is not my video. I searched pacific or asian some because the girl that appears to scare off the bird looks vaguely Chinese or Korean to me.

I am not a bird guy, but just a casual google session revealed that the number of variations of hummingbird are dizzying to say the least. This is also another species that is mysterious to science as to it's origins and migration picture. If anyone is curious, I found this article interesting for a casual read.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Drone?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Never saw that before. I have watched them fight each other in mid-air, pretty amusing watching them buzz back and forth at each other.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Also amazing is the moths that appear to be hummingbirds.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Also amazing is the moths that appear to be hummingbirds.

Those are called hummingbird moths. They don't visit me but they do visit 2 doors down.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Yes!! I have had that happen when spraying water on the lawn. Mine didn't stay around as long as the one in video but long enough for me to think..are they looking to get a drink or take a bath?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is very cool! If I were the dude with the hose I would have forgotten all about my camera.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. My sister-in-law found a sick hummingbird in California. She nursed it back to health. Called it Ruby. It had a wobbled flight when it recovered. Later, she would call for the bird by name and it would appear. I would never have believed it had I not witnessed it. I still don’t believe it.

Posts: 31 | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post