SIGforum
Anyone ever see a hummingbird do this?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1560031594

September 28, 2022, 01:40 PM
83v45magna
Anyone ever see a hummingbird do this?
Pretty big for a hummingbird compared with the ones I've ever seen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,
September 28, 2022, 01:49 PM
sigarmsp226
83v45 - Never Ever have I seen anything like this in my 62 years and we have hummingbirds every spring/summer/early fall. I have watched this video at least five times - amazing - must be very hot and/or dry and this one needed hydration….

Thanks for sharing….
September 28, 2022, 02:18 PM
P250UA5
Looks about double the size of the ones I've seen here

The Enemy's gate is down.
September 28, 2022, 03:25 PM
jhe888
I've seen them splashing in pools on the ground thousands of times - but never in a stream of water.

I've been fishing on Galveston Bay, several miles from shore, and seen them flying from the mainland to Galveston Island or the Bolivar Peninsula several times, so could be three or more miles over open water. And, apparently, some even cross portions of the Gulf of Mexico when they migrate. Pretty cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 28, 2022, 03:28 PM
HK Ag
Speaking of NW HTown hummingbirds, my three feeders are getting a workout last two weeks!

love seeing them, hope they get strong for their flight down to Rockport and Mexico.

HK Ag
September 28, 2022, 03:38 PM
Greymann
Not that large of a hummingbird.
But our small ones will fly into the water stream when I'm watering sometimes.

My watering stream is much softer more like rain when the hummingbirds fly into it.
Not like the video water stream.

September 28, 2022, 04:20 PM
sigmonkey
It appears to be trying to "land" (light) on the stream.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
September 28, 2022, 04:37 PM
bendable
Not from a hand held hose,
But I've had water fountains in bird baths that did that on a regular basis.

The best was when a couple of hummingbirds flew around in 24" diameter circles,
dragging their asses in the water.

Underneath a mister

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 28, 2022, 05:56 PM
frayedends
I’ve not seen that. But this year they fly right up to my wife’s face and hover there for minutes just looking at her. I’ve been on the deck next to her and they avoid me. It’s almost awkward.

These go to eleven.
September 28, 2022, 06:26 PM
Schmelby
I've seen videos of hummers that will land on your hand and
drink sugar water out of your palm.
September 28, 2022, 08:09 PM
Beancooker
I’ve never seen that before, but quite cool. Thanks for sharing with us. My wife was in amazement. Loved the video.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
September 29, 2022, 08:16 AM
83v45magna
I spent a half hour yesterday looking for a pic that in any way matched that birds markings and colors. Just in case anyone wondered, that is not my video. I searched pacific or asian some because the girl that appears to scare off the bird looks vaguely Chinese or Korean to me.

I am not a bird guy, but just a casual google session revealed that the number of variations of hummingbird are dizzying to say the least. This is also another species that is mysterious to science as to it's origins and migration picture. If anyone is curious, I found this article interesting for a casual read.
September 29, 2022, 09:58 AM
photohause
Drone?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

September 29, 2022, 10:02 AM
sse
Never saw that before. I have watched them fight each other in mid-air, pretty amusing watching them buzz back and forth at each other.
September 29, 2022, 03:07 PM
pbslinger
Also amazing is the moths that appear to be hummingbirds.
September 29, 2022, 07:39 PM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Also amazing is the moths that appear to be hummingbirds.

Those are called hummingbird moths. They don't visit me but they do visit 2 doors down.

Unhappy ammo seeker
September 30, 2022, 09:08 AM
urbanwarrior238
Yes!! I have had that happen when spraying water on the lawn. Mine didn't stay around as long as the one in video but long enough for me to think..are they looking to get a drink or take a bath?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member
September 30, 2022, 10:18 AM
rsbolo
That is very cool! If I were the dude with the hose I would have forgotten all about my camera.

October 03, 2022, 08:38 PM
Hey Pal
Ok. My sister-in-law found a sick hummingbird in California. She nursed it back to health. Called it Ruby. It had a wobbled flight when it recovered. Later, she would call for the bird by name and it would appear. I would never have believed it had I not witnessed it. I still don’t believe it.