SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Donuts, chips and pizza should be redefined as DRUGS, scientist say
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donuts, chips and pizza should be redefined as DRUGS, scientist say Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Woke idiots.

“Highly-processed foods should be reclassified as drugs because they are as addictive and harmful as cigarettes, scientists argue.
Researchers claim items like donuts, sugary cereals and pizza meet the meet official criteria that established cigarettes as a drug in the 1990s.

These include causing compulsive use and mood altering affects on the brain, and properties that reinforce addiction and trigger cravings.

Ultra processed foods - which also include things like soda, chips, pastries and candies - contain high amounts of unnatural flavors, preservatives and sweeteners. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11413339

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is YooperSigs and I am a pizzaholic.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's actually a 'woke' thing, but there's NO question that 'Highly Processed Foods' are BAD for you! The researchers findings re: the 'compulsive use and mood altering affects on the brain, and properties that reinforce addiction and trigger cravings ' are VERY real. High amounts of unnatural flavors, preservatives and sweeteners are NOT good for your health, and it's quite evidenced by the relative health/fitness (or apparent lack thereof) of a vast portion of the population!

Let's start with some 'common sense high fructose corn syrup control' and work from there... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep sugar doesn't discriminate on politics, race, sex, gender, it messes with everyone....

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not pizza's fault. Pizzas don't have to be "highly processed foods" loaded with "unnatural flavors, preservatives and sweeteners".

I routinely make pizza from scratch with like a dozen simple ingredients:

-Olive oil
-Tomatoes
-Mozarella cheese
-Flour
-Yeast
-Salt
-Pepper
-Garlic
-Rosemary
-Basic
-Oregano
-Red pepper

Then just top with the additional veggies and proteins of your choice, none of which have to be HPFs either.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^You can make most of the foods 'demonized' by the article from scratch using natural ingredients and there's NOTHING wrong with eating them as they're NOT innately unhealthy. Just remember, 'Everything in Moderation'... Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Woke idiots.

No, I think they're on the money with this one. Woke has nothing to do with this. We're not evolved to eat this shit, especially in the quantities we do. Look at any film or any pictures of people from the 50's, 60's, and 70's and the average physique has changed radically. The two major changes are that the government and food industries started heavily pushing carbs, specifically corn and corn syrup in the late 70's and early 80's, and that everything we eat is processed with and stored in plastics. Carbs and sugar are major bad for the body and mind. I don't think pizza needs to fit in this category, but the chain stuff that's processed everything certainly does. Chips and donuts, absolutely. Mind you, I love all that stuff and I know it's horrible for me. You can kill yourself binging on sweets and carbs as surely as you can alcohol, heroin or meth.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been eating “highly processed” foods, e.g., Spam, canned chili, potato chips, Triscuits, for 80+ years. Still scooting along.

As for classifying them as drugs… Roll Eyes

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's not pizza's fault. Pizzas don't have to be "highly processed foods" loaded with "unnatural flavors, preservatives and sweeteners".

I routinely make pizza from scratch with like a dozen simple ingredients:

-Olive oil
-Tomatoes
-Mozarella cheese
-Flour
-Yeast
-Salt
-Pepper
-Garlic
-Rosemary
-Basic
-Oregano
-Red pepper

Then just top with the additional veggies and proteins of your choice, none of which have to be HPFs either.

Flour is highly processed. It basically gives your body pure sugar. Insulin spike plus calories equals fat storage. It’s not the worst thing out there but pizza is far from healthy.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
American male population testosterone levels have been dropping 10% every decade for several decades now. Is it plastic, is it the water, is it the food?

There is no food at the grocery store.

quote:
Decline in Serum Testosterone Levels Among Adolescent and Young Adult Men in the USA
Soum D Lokeshwar et al. Eur Urol Focus. 2021 Jul.

Abstract

Testosterone deficiency has a prevalence of 20% among adolescent and young adult (AYA) males. Although previous studies have shown that total testosterone (TT) levels are declining in the population compared to prior decades, no study has identified TT level trends for AYA males specifically. Using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, we investigated TT levels for 4045 men from 1999 to 2016. After controlling for confounders, we found that mean TT levels declined over time: TT levels were lower in the later (2011-2016) than in the earlier (1999-2000) cycles (all p < 0.001). Elevated body mass index (BMI) was associated with lower TT, but the trend remained significant even among men with normal BMI. Limitations include the influence of confounding variables such as environmental factors and the use of differing assays for TT measurement. Further studies using other data streams are needed to validate these findings. PATIENT SUMMARY: In this report we looked at data for adolescent and young adult men in a US national database on total testosterone (TT) levels. There has been a decline in mean TT levels over the past two decades and TT is lower with progressively higher body mass index. We conclude that TT levels have been declining in young adult men in recent decades. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.go...0body%20mass%20index.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been eating “highly processed” foods, e.g., Spam, canned chili, potato chips, Triscuits, for 80+ years. Still scooting along.

Will say that for people born in the late 30s… Their longevity is extraordinary. Lucky you!

Those of us being born many decades later don’t have the same life expectancy.

You had real food for most of your life.

Dorito today is not the same thing that was made in the 90s, and certainly not the thing that was made in the 70s.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Ultra processed foods should be regulated here the same as they are in Europe. Other places do get some things correct, this topic being one of them IMO.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I sat through a presentation by a Dr Robert Lustig on sugar consumption and in his opinion, sugar is a dangerous drug equal to cocaine.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
People should understand that their digestive system is called glycolysis aka Krebs cycle. Anybody know what glucose is?

Try living without it.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Triscuits are NOT highly processed at all, in fact they're quite the opposite, at least for the 'Original' Triscuits which have THREE Ingredients: Whole Grain Wheat, Canola Oil, Sea Salt!

Potato Chips don't have to be 'highly processed', and aren't as long as you avoid the flavored varieties with all the artificial flavors & sweeteners.

Regardless, if you read the Ingredient Label, and it seems like you need a Chemistry Degree to do so, then you probably shouldn't eat it! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
donuts, sugary cereals and pizza

quote:
soda, chips, pastries and candies

I can stop any time. Razz

Seriously, I do eat/drink these things, but not all the time.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Ultra processed foods should be regulated here the same as they are in Europe. Other places do get some things correct, this topic being one of them IMO.

Why don't you enlighten us as to what you mean, Comrade? I don't see this regulation in Europe that you speak of.

Are you inferring the government should dictate what we are allowed to eat now? Roll Eyes

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Why don't you enlighten us as to what you mean, Comrade? I don't see this regulation in Europe that you speak of.

Are you inferring the government should dictate what we are allowed to eat now? Roll Eyes

Government has been dictating what we call “food “forever… Every hear of the USDA?

Do you know how many federal agencies regulate a chicken egg, farm to table? 7.

How about the definition of “hamburger” at McDonald’s on the menu? That’s regulated.

Where are you headed with this?

~Robert A. Heinlein