SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you regret selling your first car?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you regret selling your first car? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
In 2002 I bought my first car, a 1973 Nova hatchback, and used it as my daily driver for about 6 years... It served me well.

Now, it is 2024 and I still have it, hiding away in my garage, half car, half table. It hasn't had active registration in several years and while it does run, it would take me 30 minutes to clear it off and, get some fresh gas down the carb, and actually get it fired up.

I keep toying the idea with selling it as I just don't have the time to use it... I tell myself I'll drive it in the spring and fall when the weather is best, but I never do. Further, we have a cross-country move in the long-term plan that will have to be contended with.

But invariably I talk myself out of it by saying "Every guy ever regrets selling their first car"... especially when it is at least somewhat of an interesting vehicle.... now, it isn't a 69 Camaro or 65 Mustang, but a 73 Nova still has some charm, right?

Am I sucker for hanging on to it under the hopes of fixing it up in retirement?

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
No, your not. still have my 68 Plymouth going on 37 years now.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Well, mine was totaled, and was the slowest thing I've ever driven, but yes hate that it had to go.
1982 Mercedes 240D with over 300k on it.

First car I sold would've been my 97 Civic. I was over driving a stick & it had some trans issues. Good car but don't miss it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Mine was a 1968 Ford Falcon. I'd love to see it again. Not a truly classic car, but still think one in good shape would turn heads today.

Can't say I regret selling it though. Time marches on.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38700 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does have some charm but I would take the over under that you will never fix it back up. I have known way too many guys with old cool broke down cars that they were going to fix up when they had the time. lol. I hope you do though and then post pics, I love those restoration threads.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Regret? Not exactly. I drove it for 11 years and 108,000 miles, and I much prefer the car I have now.

But there are times I wouldn't mind having it for a second car just to play around.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about selling my first car.

At the time, it was no longer in great shape, so it needed to go.
But I absolutely loved that car - a 1976 Toyota Celica GT 5-speed manual transmission, with advanced electronics for its time.

When I sold it in 1987 it had over 150,000 miles on it and a good amount of rust.

I wish I could still have a pristine example of that car.
The same goes for my '71 Triumph motorcycle.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first was: 1966 Chevy Impala SS 327 Powerglide.
I miss it. And my lost youth!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I say if your car was great on your first go then you are a lucky man.
Now on my second one > Datsun 240Z, regret not having it but at the time it was the right time to move on. Frown

Posts: 22932 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
No. It was a POS 2001 Ford ZX2. It had an auto transmission that would jerk you around like a newby shifting a clutch for the first time. It ended up getting totaled in a fender bender because it was worth less than the body panel to fix it.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
72 Cutlass Supreme. Filled the gas tank twice a week. I swear when I
kicked in the 4 barrel I could watch the gauge go down.
I would not mind a restored 442.

Posts: 959 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1968 Ford Bronco in 1975 and drove it for 33 years. I wanted my youngest daughter to take it but she couldn't drive a manual transmission then so I sold it. I wish I had kept it because she did learn to drive a manual and I would have loved to see her rebuild it. It's the only car I regret selling, all the others I was glad to see go.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. It was a used 1980 Buick Skylark. Absolutely nothing special.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My first was a marginal 49 Ford sedan flathead V8 that cost me $75, veritable Kings ransom in 1961...I managed to move ahead with the benefit of experience and motoring sophistication. Although I do still have the factory bumper jack that has performed well over the 60+ years since.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
'51 Buick Special, didn't buy it, a gift from my sister. Do not regret for 1/10e100 of a second that it's no longer with me.

First bought myself? used '68 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Did me well for many years until I put too many railroad ties in the bed. Wouldn't mind still having it (without the bent frame), but...no regrets.

First car bought as new: '88 RX-7 Convertible, still have this one.

Posts: 6499 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My first vehicle I totaled, but my 3rd vehicle I regret. It was a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC short box with a 5.9 Cummins.

Posts: 2223 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Nope, 1990 Mazda 323 sedan that Im pretty sure someone was shot in. Mom and I brought it home CHEAP from a sleazy used car lot, and found the rear seatbelt covered in what could only be dried blood, along with an ominous yet un-noticed hole straight through the back pillar behind the glass.

Fucking Pueblo in the late 90's! Some things never change, I guess.

The worst part, in my mind at the time, was that it had an automatic transmission.

Posts: 5150 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That POS? Not for a moment. Big Grin 1966 Chrysler Newport, already a hand-me-down to start with, with numerous electrical problems. This was nearly 50 years ago now; if I knew then what I know now I could have kept it going a little longer.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Got it ‘87. 1966 Ford Fairlane 500.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep 54 Olds 98 my grandfather had and got back on the road in 76, drove it through high school and college then sold when I went to work out of state, and my First Corvette needs to be added to that list.

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post