SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by bayoushooter:
His 2 responses after me asking him to ship:

“I don't mind shipping to Louisiana.
USPS MO for payment.
FedEx 2 days delivery with Online tracking#.
The package will be properly wrapped like fine chine in a larger box. Kindly have your FFL's info Emailed to me.

Thanks.”

And the 2nd Email:

“Okay, Will be looking out for your FFL information.

Adam Roberson
28 westview st , Philadelphia , PA , 19119,

Kindly E-mail me tracking# for the mail.

Thanks.”

His Email handle is:
tt schnider

Email address:
schnidert@yahoo.com

Was it just that the email didn't match the name? Anything else suspicious?

The offer to ship, after explicitly stating that he wouldn't in his ad is suspicious. The mis-spelling of china (as in "fine china") is weird, as is saying that in general. Saying "kindly" twice is a bit weird in general conversation.

The phone number as all one number, the lowercase on the address.

All those little things stand out to me when taken as a whole, maybe not if there were only one or two things.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No pictures on a for sale post is a huge red flag to me.

If you are legit and honest, you'll figure out how to post up a couple of pics.

that shouldn't neccesarily be a flag, I don't use photobucket anymore and haven't found a new one to use yet. they're just a PIA but I always offer my email to request pics.

Yea, its a big flag. You are claiming 18+ years of selling on gunbroker but finding a replcement for photobucket is too hard? Most people here figured it out in order to post cat pictures yet you can't figure it out for business?

You may not see it, but that is a hugh bright red flag and its waving like theres a hurricane going on.

im not 'claiming' sh*t, im stating FACT. If its such a red flag for you. just move right on past any postings I have and enjoy your day. and btw, this isn't a business, its a HOBBY and every page im a member of, I can do a simple attachment or upload for pics, maybe I have a life that doesn't require me to seek out img. hosters

Lighten up Francis. Nothing I posted was meant to imply that you are a scammer. if you took it that way then I am sorry that you misinterpreted my post. Taking this personally seems to be your go to move and I guess I failed to take that into account when I posted my response. I'll try to do better in the future.

My point was to say that what you, as the seller, would consider a flag and what I, as the buyer, would consider a flag are not the same and I tried to explain what my viewpoint as a buyer was.

Para started this thread to discuss the potential for scammers to operate in different ways and discussing what is or is not a red flag would normally be an intelligent part of that discussion.

lets get back on track.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I doubt parabellum will tip his hand. There are certain things that scammers do that eventually out them but we shouldn't let them know what's being looked for. Let's just be happy we're being protected here.

Posts: 45324 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5H74LBWM/cool-cats.jpg"> [/IMG]

Is this the thread where you post cat pics?

Seriously, thanks for the heads up on the scammer a-hole. Nothing sucks worse than getting ripped off.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I doubt parabellum will tip his hand. There are certain things that scammers do that eventually out them but we shouldn't let them know what's being looked for. Let's just be happy we're being protected here.

Agreed. And my post above certainly wasn't meant to speak for anyone here, just some things I noticed as one not involved in the transaction.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Couldn't even do that right. LOL

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Good catch. Damn scammer turds.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by bayoushooter:
His 2 responses after me asking him to ship:

“I don't mind shipping to Louisiana.
USPS MO for payment.
FedEx 2 days delivery with Online tracking#.
The package will be properly wrapped like fine chine in a larger box. Kindly have your FFL's info Emailed to me.

Thanks.”

And the 2nd Email:

“Okay, Will be looking out for your FFL information.

Adam Roberson
28 westview st , Philadelphia , PA , 19119,

Kindly E-mail me tracking# for the mail.

Thanks.”

His Email handle is:
tt schnider

Email address:
schnidert@yahoo.com

Was it just that the email didn't match the name? Anything else suspicious?

The random capitalized letters.
The way the address is written and the phone number being in NC.
The fact he put # after without a space.
The fact he’s selling $1800 worth of shit for a grand “obo”.
The fact he said he would not ship but never questioned me.
The fact he put “semi automatic” in the thread title and “rifles”.
The fact he says “kindly” multiple times.
Honestly, using the word “kindly” is a super big flag.
Just in general, it’s fishy as hell. I have experience with these assholes and his emails fit the parameters. I’ll say this though, he definitely could have gotten someone with this. I’ve certainly come across worse attempts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bayoushooter,

Posts: 553 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, enough.

Why did I start this thread, guys? Hello?

Well, I thank you for being alert and your sixth sense. Many good folks in this forum to have it ruined by a small few.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have not seen his ads, I rarely cruise the classifieds. But I did notice this guy's posts in the lair and lounge, some worded awkwardly, others smelled funny

I had the same reaction...couldn’t put my finger on it exactly...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have not seen his ads, I rarely cruise the classifieds. But I did notice this guy's posts in the lair and lounge, some worded awkwardly, others smelled funny

I had the same reaction...couldn’t put my finger on it exactly...

Same here. Something about his posts/statements was lacking when it came to interaction with others.

His area code is NC (I think) but he claimed to be in PA. At one time that would have been a red flag, but I guess these days that's no big deal as people move and keep their old number. Zillow shows a nice house at the adress, so at least he found a real address for himself to use.

I'm missing the part about how he would get the USPS money order if it went to a fake address. Maybe it's a 2 step process where the money order gets lost or something and he needs a quick payment via another method. not sure.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, there was something about that guy.

True. Never liked the gist of his gait.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
bolo, It's all good. Some of the brutha's here like to jump on the pile. I am not one of them. Stick around and get to know us (the rest of us). Para will keep it all in line and you'll learn alot from some really nice and very smart guys...just like I have.

I'm happy to post up any pics for you until you fiqure it out. It was a PIA when Photobucket pulled the plug and this forum was a buzz with guys like me who needed help figuing it out. How soon we forget...

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Kindly" is a huge red flag to me. Anytime I see that, 99% of the times it's a scam. Also foreign sounding English grammar is another.. hard to pin it but I can usually tell from the nuances of the message.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some rings of these guys operating on Armslist and Floridaguntrader. I am sure they've made the rounds at most of the larger gun forums as well.

They have money mules in the U.S. who receive payment, cash the funds, and then wire it back out overseas. Some of them even have the mules take calls from prospective victims.

They almost conned a friend of mine out of close to 3 grand for a pair of classic Pythons. He even spoke with someone on the phone in Texas. After he had spoken with the guy and mailed funds, he discovered that the pictures were copied from an old forum ad on a different website. Thankfully, he was able to intercept the money orders through the USPS before delivery happened. He's an experienced investigator for a federal law enforcement agency, and almost lost his rear end on that one deal.

Some of these scammers are pretty sophisticated and know enough about how transfers work to be dangerous. What nearly happened to my friend was a serious wake up call for me.

Posts: 705 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Para, for watching out for us, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Obviously scammers and thieves are active 24/7/365 but I've noticed that there is an uptick in these types of scams starting around Thanksgiving and continuing through the Christmas and New Year's holidays.

A couple years ago I was contacted by a forum member that I believe to be a scammer and his first email was the day before Thanksgiving and I had a series of infrequent and strange emails from him as well as other unknown emails through the holidays.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Another giveaway?

What American ever says “tin”? We all always say “can”.

quote:
Rifle comes with factory 4x scope, sling, bipod, 6x magazines, 2x mag pouches, and 1x 440rd tin of ammo

Posts: 33574 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr.Bellum for taking out the trash.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Are we sure it's not just mistaken identity of bendable's twin?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12345 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post