SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to get rid of a wondering cat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get rid of a wondering cat? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Do you know what they say about curiosity?

I'm curious, what do they say?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Do you know what they say about curiosity?

I'm curious, what do they say?

Curiosity (IE wondering) killed the cat. That’s what my grandmother always said.

Don’t know if it applies to pilots?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so few feline pilots these days, that it's hard to tell.

It does make one wonder.

Curious, really.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feral cats will mark the outside of a house to mark it as “theirs”.

I am having a similar contest of wills with a local fox. Our male dog “owns” the property, but the local fox doesn’t think so. Daily Scout goes out and marks trees that the fox has marked overnight. House and building marking by the fox is pretty rare, but it happens.

Moth balls have worked in the past when a local skunk has decided to make a home beneath our porch. In our case the moth balls come in a box with two perforated plastic bags inside. Place a bag under the porch. The moth balls smell much better than the skunk and they fade away after a week or two. Skunk moves on long before that.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
What do cats tend to wonder about? If you can answer that question then you are more than halfway there.

Yup! Answer its questions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I had this issue when I was living in a townhome in California. The problem cat for me was a neighbor's, with owners who felt that their cat had an absolute right to defecate in everybody else's small gardens. I had first tried every cat repellant strategy I could. Removing the grass for rock, spreading cat repellant, mothballs, etc. Nothing helped.

Finally I trapped the cat three separate times with a live box trap. I took him to the local pound twice, with the second time attaching a note saying it was the last. The whole neighborhood went up in arms about the evil among them. The third time I caught the cat, I took him to a pound about 40 miles away near work. He was never seen again.

It was an example of irresponsible, entitled owners. It wasn't really the cat's fault, so I didn't take it out on him, although pets do end up paying the price in that he never made it home. Here's a clue to cat owners; if you aren't cleaning up cat crap, somebody else is. Also, cats don't have the right to go everywhere, killing every song bird it can find. Besides, cats live twice as long as indoor cats. You'd think somebody who cared for their cat would keep it inside. Our cat only goes out with supervision, just like the dogs. As for the OP, with no government services and the cat being semi-feral, about the best you can do is to trap and relocate the cat. The worst you can do is, well, its already been alluded to in this thread. Good luck, cats can be stubborn about peeing on stuff.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Payed a visit to the Elders and placed a few mothballs in the cat's path.
Disscussed with the BIL that the alternative, rats, is much worse in the area...
So the cat's future is somewhat in suspense. Now it's a Schrödiger's cat, one wonders... Wink

Even the cat showed up while we were discussing it.

The house is a on store building boxed in by taller ones by party walls and accessed by a corridor, not a wide one.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have these. Alarms
They work great and keep all sorts of undesirables off of my lawn.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Wonder v. Wander...

I guess a cat could wonder but they don't seem the type and I don't see cats wandering around but rather they are in search of something whether it's a rival, prey or a place to watch.

No, this post makes no sense.

OP is a troll.

OP is not a troll. You are. He's been a well-respected member of this forum since 2003. He also lives in Argentina and may slip in a typo here and there. You try typing a response in Spanish or Portuguese and see how many typos you make.

He types more coherent responses than many on this board who are Americans.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all know it was an innocent typo, but that has not stopped me from wondering what the cat is so curious about.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Clearly, the OP has finally found the forum’s mascot...

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Wonder v. Wander...

I guess a cat could wonder but they don't seem the type and I don't see cats wandering around but rather they are in search of something whether it's a rival, prey or a place to watch.

No, this post makes no sense.

OP is a troll.

OP is not a troll. You are. He's been a well-respected member of this forum since 2003. He also lives in Argentina and may slip in a typo here and there. You try typing a response in Spanish or Portuguese and see how many typos you make.

He types more coherent responses than many on this board who are Americans.

Tony.

Thank you very much. Tony.

Is this the looks of a Troll?
Do I look like a troll?

Sometimes, I wander Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
We had a family of semi-feral cats at work and they ate pretty well from the trash of a Sonic next door, most had either gotten hit/run over or wandered off but there was one that a couple employees fed … when Abby’s indoors cat got out and was never seen again, the guys said that I should take the kitten they'd been feeding home for her before it got hit … so I did, we got his shots, had him “fixed”. He passed about 2 weeks ago but Mr. B lived a pretty good life of 17 years.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either an active method: trapping and relocating; sling-shot or, hose it with several squirts of water.

Or, you can use a passive method: mothballs are effective but, they need to positioned where the animal can't just go around it. Spreading hot powdered pepper in the pathway, has worked..provided moisture doesn't get to it. I've heard of people planting smelly plants in the area where the cats like to go is a deterrent, such as lavender, lemongrass, geraniums, rue.

If its squeezing itself through a few holes/spaces, you can install a wire mesh to cover the entrance, chicken wire or, some other mesh.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daisy Red Ryder works well and is not lethal .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
This is a gun forum.....

I cannot believe no one has suggested a catapult!

Thank you thank you, I’ll be here all week, tip your waitress!

CAT-A-PAULT? Wink

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post