SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance Login/Join 
posted
for 12 years I have stated that my very minimal tinnitus came and went , lasted 2 minutes max,
it was a lower octave, no bother in the least.

I am always with muffs when mowing , blowing snow, skill saw, and leaf blowing , Always !

I take plugs too the movies , just in case its loud.

Question:
Now I have started hearing high pitched electronic sound hissing , that lasts 35-45 minutes.

its distracting and annoying , not painful.

Am wondering about your experience w/ tinnitus
how would you rate it?

Choices:
1. no experiance at all
2. very little experiance,
3. mine comes and goes, not bothersome at all
4. have it dailey , very noticable, inconvienant
5. dailey , annoying and distracting
6. painfully intense, almost debilitating
7. I got help and got cured, so should you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always there and always has been.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13489 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I guess mine is always there but it is really only noticeable in quiet environments and only occasionally bothers me when I am trying to sleep. It sounds like an old steam radiator is running.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1514 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up going to lots of heavy metal concerts always gave me tinnitus for at least a few hours.

Now, if I listen to music in the car too loud, I'll get it for just a minute or two.

Never really bothered me but I could see it getting annoying if it lasted longer.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
First time I lived in Houston, I had a series of sinus issues and one time my ear wouldn't pop/equalize for 4+ weeks. The tinnitus started when the damn thing finally popped/equalized.

It's always there and can usually tune it out. However, the tinnitus:
  • "volume" increases with the use of caffeine or other stimulants such as Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine).
  • "volume" increases with sinus congestion. Amazing the before and after affects of using a Netipot.
  • "volume" increases when I think about it. For example, reading this thread since I'm actively thinking about it and the "volume" increased.
  • is at the same frequency/tone as some hearing tests. This is a pain in the ass on cheaper hearing tests (e.g. the kind employers use to fulfill OSHA requirements) as if I have any congestion or stimulants then I can't hear very many of their tones. I thought it was my lot in life, but this fall had a hearing test at an ENT's office and mentioned this to the audiologist who said "no problem" and found tones different than my tinnitus.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A day late, and
    a dollar short
    Picture of Warhorse
    posted Hide Post
    Always have it, mostly in the background till I start thinking about it. Wish I didn't have it, but it usually is not to bothersome.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Constant. Sometimes changes tone and pitch. Can be very annoying at times. Have just learned to live with it. There is no treatment that works as far as I know. If someone does I'd like to hear about it. And Lipo Flavanoid did not work for me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8616 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Not sure if there is much if any distinction from no. 4 and 5.

Mine is constant but I don't notice it except at night watching TV especially with the volume down.

It is like a faint white noise - constant much like a computer fan/noise.

Otherwise throughout the day it doesn't really bother me or come into play.

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chip away the stone
    Picture of rusbro
    posted Hide Post
    I picked 3, but there was no perfect choice

Like many others, if I listen, I can always hear it, but it's not a problem unless things are really quiet. I use a white noise app on my phone to cover it at night, as I finding it distracting when trying to fall asleep.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I can't tell if I'm
    tired, or just lazy
    Picture of ggile
    posted Hide Post
    It's constant. Sometimes the sound will vary from high pitched to low pitched sounds. It is not annoying or bothersome and don't even notice it most times, but it is always there.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    I voted no experience with tinnitus, but hearing loss is becoming an annoying reality.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cruising the
    Highway to Hell
    Picture of 95flhr
    posted Hide Post
    It's always there and drives me nuts in a quiet environment. I sleep with a white noise sound and rarely do not have a TV, Radio, etc... on for background noise.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    Mine is directly attributed to my military service...you can put in plugs and wear muffs but a cannon going off next to you will ruin your hearing over time.

I have two pitches in one ear and two different in the the other ear.

It can be frustrating. I use a white noise machine to drown it out to sleep.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TSE:
    I guess mine is always there but it is really only noticeable in quiet environments and only occasionally bothers me when I am trying to sleep. It sounds like an old steam radiator is running.

Describes my experience precisely.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15488 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    since '71....i hear it all the time.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Wait, what?
    Picture of gearhounds
    posted Hide Post
    I have tinnitus in my left ear; it is not always noticeable and comes and goes. I have job related significant hearing loss in my left ear. I have had it throughout my career but it was exacerbated by several years of running code on cruisers with Street Hawk lightbars that had sirens mounted inside them. VERY loud. I was never happier than when sirens began being mounted under the front bumper or hood.

As anyone with hearing loss will tell you, tinnitus starts out slow and intermittent and is a direct result of a loss of hearing. I was forced into a hearing aid to meet agency medical standards despite being able to function 100% with good ear compensation (don’t get me started about that!) to retain my badge.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of JohnnyD
    posted Hide Post
    Seems my experience is much the same many of you. Constant high pitch ringing. I wish something could be done but I live with it. I played with a tone generator and it seems to be about 10Khz.
    Shooting, rock concerts, jets.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Evil Asian Member
    Picture of LastCubScout
    posted Hide Post
    I have it all the time. It's not too bothersome. When I was younger, I used to be able to tell if a TV in the room, especially an older CRT TV, was turned on but showing a black screen, by the hum of the tube. I can no longer hear that pitch. That's about where the ringing level is.

However, in current action movies when they do that trope of an explosion going off and the character being deafened and hearing ringing, I can still hear that pitch clearly.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just straight hearing loss for me too. Started with jet engine noise when I was in USAF.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16378 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    Continuous since 1968. It has gotten significantly louder in the past few years.

I ignore it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post