SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for years, most of the time I just ignore it but once in a while when it's super quite I notice it but most of the time I just deal with it.

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Mine is always present - I block it out when not thinking about it but I bet if I set an alarm to check - it would always be there -

Love to blame it on one specific thing but pretty sure it's 71 years of abuse - We just plane didn't use any protection in the old days -

Shooting in my youth was always no ear protection - didn't ever think about it - Yet alone motorcycles and tractors and you name it.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a very high pitched ringing that is so loud that I have trouble hearing what people are saying. Between hearing loss and tinnitus just staying tuned into what’s going on around me is a challenge. I don’t wish this on anyone.

Posts: 60 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
My dad had it and I have had it for as long as I can remember.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Mine is a constant high pitch “electronic” type noise. Sort of like feedback.

Hearing aids help mask the sound, and if I’m busy I tend to forget about it. Caffeine seems to amplify it. I leave the TV on at night and it helps

And as soon as I read the thread title I became aware of it.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Mine is constant since 1993. Not wearing hearing protection while firing a North American Arms 22 magnum caused it.

I regret it to this day. It makes my hearing loss even worse. Both ears too.

There is no cure for it, forget # 7.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a little bit, all the time. I am obsessive with hearing protection. Almost always plugs and muffs when I shoot. Ear pro 99% even while hunting. I wear earplugs while doing anything that makes noise.

The ONLY high DB, high SPL thing I ever did without, was the car stereo fad of the early 90's, doing some install work and friends with loud "systems". I know I did more damage with a couple years of that than I did with near 50 years of frequent gunfire.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to wear muffs or plugs so now y ears buzz all the time, most of the time I just ignore it, but now when I know I will be exposed to loud noise I wear one or both.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I voted 3.5. Plenty of shooting without ear protection and then lots of loud, sustained periods in front of guitar amps around morons who thought feedback was cool. Then because of that damage, it's an arms race just to hear. I'm not deaf, but my hearing is definitely damaged and if I'm not careful, I'll have multiple daily bouts of ringing. I can't even do headphones anymore.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My ears ring non-stop. I have to have music or a tv playing just to help cover the constant ringing. I blame loud music as a youth, plus shooting a .357 Mag without ear protection several times.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
#8 daily, no big deal.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
I guess mine is always there but it is really only noticeable in quiet environments and only occasionally bothers me when I am trying to sleep. It sounds like an old steam radiator is running.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Must be nice for anyone that has it and it only lasts 35 minutes.

My ears have been ringing for 12 years, nonstop.

I have high end hearing loss and use hearing aids.
My current hearing aids have no tinnitus programs, but it wouldn't matter anyway.
I'm not going to wear them in my sleep, that is the only time I would need it.
I can't sleep with a TV on, so I run a ceiling fan that helps a little..

Posts: 4410 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Mine is always there but it is really only noticeable in quiet environments, or if I think about it, and only occasionally bothers me when I am trying to sleep. Like TSE, it sounds like an old steam radiator is running.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3160 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hearing aids help. Like the man said, it sometimes wakes me up at night, so I have to get up and put them in. I try to sleep with something on, but not the TV. Stuff comes on that ain't good......

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Never bothered with it. That is kind of amazing seeing as how bad my hearing is. I wear hearing aids and had a mastoidectomy on my right ear last June.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have Meniere's disease and it has been controlled with diuretics and Sodium control. Very rarely do I have an onset any longer, thank God!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm into my sixth decade. Summer 2018 outdoor 4th concert. Stood adjacent/close to stage while Drum solo at end of a set. Electronically enhanced Bass drum. Commented to my wife & sister in law that it was the loudest bass sound ever heard by me. Shook your body. The hissing started full time and has never stopped.

Loud music, power tools and shooting(95% of time wore ear protection) caused hearing damage that is accumulative and set stage for tinnitus.

Interesting note is that I went through 3 sets of speakers in my 2006 Truck over 10 year period. Cracked cones in one or more requiring replacement. Do you think that contributed to my hearing loss. Yea I think so! I love singing and dancing which goes too often with louder music.

When tinnitus is evident natural hearing is reduced. I miss having good hearing that would be happening without the tinnitus/hissing.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
14 people
just want to play
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Comment
posted Hide Post
My tinnitus has been constant since July 12 1973 was in AIT Ft Gordon Ga lighting hit the covered bleachers we were taking shelter under during a sudden storm. Sounds like cicadas really causes trouble in large groups and restaurants.

Posts: 35 | Location: Springfield MO | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Mine is also related to military service. Non-stop ringing for many years.
It has always sounded like a Cicada-based summer nighttime soundtrack, turned up loud with no base. Volume would sometimes change up and down, dunno why.

Finally got hearing aids in the last year and that has made a tremendous difference, along with doing the white/pink/brown/whatever noise generator at night.

Have always worn hearing protection when mowing, doing anything around loud stuff.

Hearing aids are Opticon Opn 1 Minirite T types.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post