SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last poll of 2019, your tinnitus experiance Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Not sure if there is much if any distinction from no. 4 and 5.

Mine is constant but I don't notice it except at night watching TV especially with the volume down.

It is like a faint white noise - constant much like a computer fan/noise.

Otherwise throughout the day it doesn't really bother me or come into play.
This is also my experience.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoney180:
Sounds like cicadas really causes trouble in large groups and restaurants.

Never thought about it, but that is kinda what mine sounds like.
It is a rather high pitch tone.
I just did a few frequency tests and it seems to be right at 6300 Hz.

I put my earbuds in to take them.
This test was a little long.
Tinnitus Matching

This is a simple Online Tone Generator

My hearing aids were supposed to help in crowds and restaurants, but they really don't.
I can even control the alleged direction they focus on with my phone.
But I really need to be close to someone while watching them talk to understand them.

I contribute my hearing loss to a few things.
1. Hereditary, my Dad has it.
2. Too much loud music over the last 57 years.
Not only a plethora of concerts (that I still go to), but audio systems I've had in my vehicles.
3. Driving professionally for 34 years, first 10 in UPS package cars with the doors usually open and a motor sitting underneath a thin sheet of plastic.
Last 24 driving semis, although some are quieter now than they were in 1994.

Posts: 4410 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm blessed not to be any worse than it is. 50 years working in, on and around aircraft has s slight ring noticeable only when things are quiet like at night. Don't notice it at all other than that.

Guess when told to wear ear plugs AND muffs I complied. Yes, shooting now too.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I discovered coffee aggravates my tinnitus quite a bit. So, coffee is now a once-in-a-while treat.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have it all the time but usually in the background. Sometimes it is debilitating and makes it impossible to here anything else.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
37 here and it set in big time about 2 years ago. There are some days where it is gone but those days are the exception, not the rule. Have been getting hearing tests done now on a yearly basis and have high frequency loss in both ears. Since I gave been using hearing protection from the start when shooting, and while using power equipment. They believe it was due to work, specifically the sirens and fire alarm systems. I am using custom plugs and other hearing protection we have in our apparatus now to try and preserve what I have left. Hoping I can keep the "normal" ranges of hearing by doing this.

This has kinda been the first realization that I am getting old, dammit.

Posts: 354 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Have it for years, constant. Your pole has the question - 'I got help and cured' If anyone can tell me what the cure is I will do it but alas, I think we are stuck with it Frown

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1436 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Have it for years, constant. Your pole has the question - 'I got help and cured' If anyone can tell me what the cure is I will do it but alas, I think we are stuck with it Frown

I went to the ear doc a couple of years ago to see if there is anything that can be done.
Nope, my doc said even he has it! Frown

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have high level hearing loss and have had it since I was 22. (The first time I enlisted in the Army)

I guess growing up working around construction sites, hunting, shooting and then the 25mm Bushmasters on the Bradley Scout vehicles took its toll.

I never really notice it.
I never thought about coffee aggravating it. I drink way way too much coffee through out the day. I may try a few days with only a cup in the morning.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Mine is very high pitched, constant and really a PITA.
Too much shooting when young and dumb. Add to that 31 yrs of using a diamond plate diesel engine cover as an arm rest with a siren and air horn blasting and yeah, w/o hearing aids I’m pretty deaf.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for 3.5. I have always had hearing loss in some frequencies: it kept me out of the Army back when they were drafting anyone with a pulse.

I then spent the next 30+ years as a diesel mechanic. The ringing started just about when I retired. It's annoying, but not as bad as the hearing loss. If I'm in a crowded room I find the level of concentration I use to hear a particular conversation is really tiring. Compared to that, the ringing is no big deal...it's a long way from my heart.

Posts: 709 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I also noticed that I have gotten better at lip reading over the years. Hearing/comprehending tonal languages can be challenging.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
I voted for Nr. 4. It's inconvenient, but I can ignore it most of the time.

Got it two years ago during a shooting class. A round went off when it shouldn't have. I was nearby and because we were just talking about the drill we had just done I wasn't wearing my hearing protection.

Wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have a cold that day, but that doesn't help now.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 767 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Service related and the VA grants 10% disability for hearing loss. Sounds like a whole bunch of crickets. I grew up sleeping with the windows open and the summer night sounds of crickets was something I enjoyed. So, tinnitus doesn't bother me much and I hardly even think about it more than a couple of times a day ... unless someone posts about it.

Posts: 4829 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rarely notice it, until it gets mentioned. Thanks Bendable! It is definitely there but doesn't bother me too much.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Service related and the VA grants 10% disability for hearing loss.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the VA only grants the 10% disability IF the hearing loss is not correctable.

My BIL has service-induced hearing loss but gets hearing aids from the VA to correct it and no 10% disability.

I have tinnitus, which is not correctable, and I receive the 10% disability.

Posts: 9251 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Watching the Vikings 2nd string lose to the bears so I opened Sig forum and this post. My ears are ringing. I was fine before.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post