SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Justice Department sues Yale over 'applicant discrimination'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Justice Department sues Yale over 'applicant discrimination' Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Glad to see this.

“The US Justice Department has sued Yale University over alleged discrimination against white and Asian American applicants after it accused the university of 'racially balancing' its classes.

It comes about two months after the Justice Department publicly accused Yale of discrimination following a two year investigation, saying it was in violation of federal civil rights law.

Filed in US federal court in Connecticut, the lawsuit alleges Yale 'discriminates based on race and national origin in its undergraduate admissions process, and that race is the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year'…”

https://mol.im/a/8822829

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
We need to bulldoze the whole education system.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
That was long overdue-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
Let's hope it will lead to banning any grants, financial aid or funding of research at that institution until such time they fix the problem.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I would hope that from here on, the names are removed from an application and the reviewing body only sees a number. There is no telling who has applied. They are then forced to select only the best of the best.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
One of the highest educational institutions in the country has gone from providing equal opportunity for those who strive for excellence to promising equal results to those who are incapable of excellence.

Posts: 4503 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No more Federal money. No more grants, no more contracts, no more gov assistant, no more.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
No more Federal money. No more grants, no more contracts, no more gov assistant, no more.

I still don't understand why these schools get any of that to begin with. They have more than enough money.

Yale's endowment fund is currently at $31,200,000,000. That's right. $31.2 BILLION dollars. Why do they need money from tax payers?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
violation of federal civil rights law

Whites and Asians have civil rights...who knew? Wink

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I still don't understand why these schools get any of that to begin with. They have more than enough money.

Yale's endowment fund is currently at $31,200,000,000. That's right. $31.2 BILLION dollars. Why do they need money from tax payers?

One of the government’s favorite tricks is to take money from people through taxes and then give it back to them with strings attached. It lets them influence policy in a lot of ways they ordinarily couldn’t. Education is a great example of this - our federal government has a department of education despite the fact that it doesn’t educate anyone. It just uses money to influence how others do.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
One of the highest educational institutions in the country has gone from providing equal opportunity for those who strive for excellence to promising equal results to those who are incapable of excellence.

I might suggest wording ala those who maybe be incapable, or who are unwilling to do the work to succeed.

Some years ago there was an article in the WSJ re an upscale public high school in Silicon Valley, the white parents were putting their kids in private schools as the Asians in the school were making things too "hard".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seems all these virtue signaling confessions may result in a school getting a closer look.

“ THE WHITE HOUSE HAS opened an investigation into Princeton University, accusing it of civil rights violations after its president admitted racism exists at the school.

Earlier this month, Princeton President Christopher Eisgruber published a letter to the university community in which he acknowledged that the university has and continues to be shaped by systemic racism.

“Racism and the damage it does to people of color nevertheless persist at Princeton as in our society, sometimes by conscious intention but more often through unexamined assumptions and stereotypes, ignorance or insensitivity, and the systemic legacy of past decisions and policies," he wrote, underscoring also that for most of Princeton's history, the university "intentionally and systematically excluded people of color, women, Jews, and other minorities."

"Racist assumptions from the past also remain embedded in structures of the University itself," he added, noting that, for example, Princeton has at least nine departments and programs organized around European languages and culture, but only a single, relatively small program in African studies.

“You admitted Princeton's educational program is and for decades has been racist," Robert King, assistant secretary of the Education Department's Office of Postsecondary Education, wrote in a letter to university officials earlier this week. "The serious, even shocking nature of Princeton's admissions compel the Department to move with all appropriate speed."

https://www.usnews.com/news/ed...s-to-systemic-racism

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Seems all these virtue signaling confessions may result in a school getting a closer look.

Entertaining, isn't it? The leftists look back with nostalgia at the "self criticism" and "struggle sessions" in China and the USSR where good little commies got to stand up and confess their doctrinal lapses. Doesn't translate to our system in quite the same way, apparently.

I especially like the DOJ's explanation. "What? We're only taking you at your word that you're racist and discriminatory... oh, I'm sorry, did you not really mean it?"

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could probably do that to most colleges.
I am not defending Yale, but do know that both Mich and OSU do the same exact thing.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
They could probably do that to most colleges.
I am not defending Yale, but do know that both Mich and OSU do the same exact thing.

And 99.9% of colleges in CA (I am giving them the benefit of the doubt). And not only for acceptance as a student, but also in employment.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Data on the 2017 and 2018 applicant pools released by Yale to the DOJ show the admissions chances of students of similar academic achievement vary wildly based on race. Black applicants above the second decile of academic skill are consistently five to eight times more likely to be admitted compared with their Asian counterparts.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really, Asians need an advocate and public personality to sue many institutions for equal treatment under the law. That Yang guy that ran for President might be able to.

I have spent a lot of time in Asia for my job - China, South Korea, Japan, (order of frequency) and my step mother is from the Philippines so I am somewhat familiar with the cultures and local communities in the U.S.

Many Asian immigrants have come to the U.S. with nothing, not even the ability to speak English, worked menial jobs to get a foothold, and then eventually started businesses. Koreans and their grocery markets, Chinese and Thai with restaurants, Vietnamese with Nail Shops, and others. They ensure their kids go to school and get a good eduction and push them to go into professional careers that pay well. Part of this is for the parents to ensure they will be provided for during their retirement, but mostly it's about culture and pride.

Given the treatment of Chinese railroad workers in the mid 1800's (expendable to say it mildly) the immigration acts of 1924 and 1928 which specifically targeted Asian immigration and established quotas favoring European countries, the internment camps during WWII, and general anti-Japanese, anti-Korean, and anti-Vietnamese sentiment after the wars, they have prospered in the U.S. - it's not like Asians have not faced significant racism and discrimination. Yet they generally perform better in school and earn more income than "native born" Americans. And Asian kids don't all go to nice schools in the suburbs, poor immigrants send their kids to whatever public school is available, or save and sacrifice for private school if necessary.

And now they are discriminated against in academics for being "too smart". Harvard skirted the issue by having a "subjective" measure of personality for admission which consistently downgraded Asians, even though the evaluator often never actually met the applicant.

I really don't care what race anyone is. If the "best" schools are 90% Asian because that's who is most qualified on all objective measures, so be it. Let everyone else compete.

To contrast the performance of Asian immigrants that overcame their lack of English skills to succeed and ensure their children's success, with native born Americans who have spoken the language (well, you know) for hundreds of years and continually blame "racism" is very telling. You don't hear a whole lot of sympathy other than "get a job and work hard and go to school and work hard...."

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
And yet Asians mostly vote democRAT.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Every single applicant should list their race/gender as black/female to ruin the filters used by academia.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
And yet Asians mostly vote democRAT.

Most of the Asians I know, especially those who escaped communist takeovers, are starting to see the light. Trump's anti-Chinese statements aren't helping him among Chinese that see their "motherland" favorably, but then if they see the CCP favorably, they are OK with communism, so....

Also factor in that the some of the largest Asian populations in the US are in California, NYC, and Texas, and you get group think from those areas.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post