SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FL's Lee County Sheriff’s Office SWAT sniper took out bank robber/hostage taker with shot through computer monitor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL's Lee County Sheriff’s Office SWAT sniper took out bank robber/hostage taker with shot through computer monitor Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
BRAVO! Video at link. Shot starts at 1:41.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ot-through-computer/

By Jim Hᴏft | Jun. 9, 2024 7:20 pm

A heart-stopping moment captured on newly released surveillance video shows a Lee County Sheriff’s Office sniper executing a precision shot that neutralized an armed bank robber holding two hostages.

In February, 36-year-old Sterling Alavache, who was armed with a knife and claimed to have a bomb, was shot dead by a SWAT sniper during a robbery in southwest Florida.

According to the sheriff, the suspect was placing the hostages in “imminent danger” by putting one of them in a headlock and holding a knife to her throat during the hostage.

The footage, which has been circulating on social media, highlights the sniper’s skill as his bullet pierces a computer monitor to fatally strike the suspect at a Bank of America in Fort Myers.

The video, edited for clarity and context, was released by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office on Facebook this past Saturday.

CBS12 reported:
quote:
ust inside the lobby and outside the bank were members of the Sheriff’s Office Special Operations Unit, a Hostage Negotiations Team, and Patrol Bureau, some of who were dressed in tactical gear.

The video offers a look over the shoulder of the sniper as he takes aim with his rifle supported on the shoulder of the man in front of him. The angle provides a hint of the limited view of the suspect and how he was shielded by the monitor.

The scene cuts to the moment the sniper takes his shot, and the .308-caliber bullet crosses the full length of the lobby and cuts right through the monitor. The suspect collapses instantly.

Flash bang devices were soon deployed, and the members of the Special Unit Team rushed in to ensure the hostages were safe and that the suspect was not a threat, Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Lt. Todd Ulmer noted.

“I couldn’t be more proud of the men and women of law enforcement today,” Marceno said on the day of the robbery. “How you train is how you perform, and this is exactly what we train for.”

Edited to correct spelling mistake in thread title.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Awesome shot at a very small target! You can tell this team has trained and that officer had the confidence in his skills.

Posts: 3157 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Can’t watch it w/o some Facebook access…is it anywhere else?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Well done officer in stopping the threat. ............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2082 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"...keep talking to me, keep talking to me, I wanna know what's going through your head right now..."

Um, somthin', sumthin', boatail?

Outstanding.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16898 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Job well done.

Too bad about the monitor.

Posts: 3268 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Can’t watch it w/o some Facebook access…is it anywhere else?

Funker530

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Pretty insane shooting off the shoulder of a teammate. Dudes gotta stay really still, but I guess at that distance its less of an issue. Nice work!

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2545 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Glad the suspect died. Sounds cold, but yeah, I'm glad he died.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ "Cold"? Nah, I'm cool with that.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bro spilt blood on the copier or cabinet. He should clean that up before checking out.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That’s some Seal Team 6 shit right there. Good riddance to the oxygen waster.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a military sniper that entered a police sniper match.
He thought, “Well I’ve shot guys at over 1000 yards, I should be okay.”
He said the first stage was #2 pencil erasers at 75 yards.
Hit the metal, fail! Miss? Obvious fail. He said it was humbling to fail miserably.
PRECISION was the name of the game in that match and opened his eyes to what real precision meant to police sniping.

This was a great example of what precision means from an improvised position! Well done officers!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Cold? No. Suspect is room temperature.

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Lee county, and of course people cried foul saying it was excessive. Great job officers God bless all first responders.

Posts: 721 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I think it would be colder if they had offered him hot chocolate and talked to him about his mommy issues and promising classic comic books, free weed, and conjugal visits in prison. Now that would have been cold.

An outstanding response and resolution by those officers, top of the line right there.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnitt:
I live in Lee county, and of course people cried foul saying it was excessive. Great job officers God bless all first responders.

FUCK.THEM.

Q

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
308 at ~25 yds or less.....oof!
That had to sting!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
good shoot.

monitor is still working.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post