SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to a warmer climate in the winter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to a warmer climate in the winter Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Southern Arizona, especially SW Arizona, from Quartzsite to Yuma general area has tons and tons of free BLM land to boondock on, and you can get a 7 month permit for $180.00, and get free dumping and trash disposal and water. This also extends up Hwy 95 to Parker and Lake Havasu City. South and West from Buckeye has tons and tons of free boondocking spots, and good services, not too far from Phoenix for excellent medical care, etc. The fringe area around Phoenix, but not really in Phoenix, has tons of nice RV Parks.

South Texas, the Pharr-McAllen-Edinburg area is good in the wintertime, and you are close to Brownsville/Corpus for ocean beach visiting, as well as salt water fishing, lots of boats with charter day rates.

Both of those are close to the international border, and you will hear praises and cussing to the dental care and eye care, and pharmacy prices, just across the border. People drive to the border, walk across, stay within a couple blocks, do their business and pleasure, and walk back into the USA. Personally I've liked the cash pharmacy prices there.

Some friends of mine took their RV from OKC to SW Arizona every year for about 20 years, and liked it so much they bought a Park Model in Yuma, sold their RV, and rave about the fun they have, every day is Happy Hour, etc. Lots to do.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’m not really a full time mover soon either. I just like to bug out at times, not all to the same place either.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shoveling snow and shit (horse, cow, pig, chicken) for over 50 years. We are in our twilight and want to enjoy what time we have left.

I want to walk a beach hold my wife's hand. She is the love of my life and as the Ronnie Millsap song goes, "Let's take the long way around the world, and take it real slow"

We are going to winter over in a warmer climate. The only question is where.

Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is a Class C?

30' drive able motor home.

This is a 28 foot Class C motorhome we've been thinking about getting.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Florida over 40 years and RV'd all over the state. This is what I've learned.

Anyone looking to snowbird in a motorhome/fifth wheel/travel trailer in Florida from November to March should already have their reservations for next season (2022-2023). Most of the frequent birds reserve before they depart in the spring. The good spots are already taken by then, leaving you with some mobile home shithole of a trailer park to roost among the finest residents Florida has to offer. Forget the state and county parks, stays are limited to 14 days.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
If you like fishing and boating check out Glades County Florida, Moore Haven or Lakeport. Place is barely civilized but Lake Okeechobee is too much fun!

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is a Class C?

30' drive able motor home.

This is a 28 foot Class C motorhome we've been thinking about getting.

Jim

Best thing you can do:

1. New sway bars and shock.
2. Auto levelers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
South Texas, the Pharr-McAllen-Edinburg area is good in the wintertime, and you are close to Brownsville/Corpus

If you like the newest Democrat voters/Biden's latest releases.

Posts: 1139 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northeastern TN. (along the NC border)

A little snow - lots of sunshine. Mountains and hills.

Not an expert on tornadoes - but I think you are east of the Alley.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We winter halfway between Orlando and Ft. Myers. Very rural area with lots of RV parks. We are in a permanent mobile home type community. Many of the residents started as you plan to do. Many have sampled TX, AZ as well. Knock on TX by them is that it can be quite a bit colder than here in FL especially unless you are down near McAllen. AZ is too far removed from th east coast for most.
As others have noted property and rental slips have become very pricey, even in our remote area

Posts: 2066 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
I don't know about now but pre-COVID I would take FL over TX 10 times out of 10.

Nothing against the fine people of TX, I enjoyed them very much but TX, at least the Dallas/Fort Worth area, was very bland to me. Then again I love the ocean and vegetation which is why TX brown never suited me.

Well, Dallas, sure.

But Ft. Worth and the rest of Texas isn't like Dallas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to be some differing views on living in Florida, so, here's mine.

After my Dad's death in '63, we moved to Fort Myers Beach where my grandparents lived.

After I came back from the Army in '68, I stayed in Fort Myers as a young policeman and in '79, I moved way up north (a couple of hours anyway) to St. Petersburg for Law School.

I stayed there after graduation and we live in one of the small cities between St. Pete and Clearwater. We've been in this home 16 years and before that we lived on the water in St. Pete some 20 years. Boats, fishing, all the water sports. Sold the boats and, frankly, don't miss 'em.

Both of us are now retired and, yes, there's a lot of traffic during tourist season (+/-Thanksgiving to Easter) BUT, Florida may be unique-I don't know so consider this:

Within a short distance there are 4 Publix Supermarkets, one is real close and is the smallest I've ever seen. Publix planned to close it down about 20 years ago and the neighborhood went bahooies and Publix backed down, best grocery store I've ever been in, wonderful staff and they are so nice and polite
that they give real meaning to their old motto "Shopping is a Pleasure."

Must be 12 Walgreen or CVS drug stores in the same area. Dentist I use is 3 minutes away, Bay Pines VA Hospital (best health care I ever got) is 4 miles from my house. My Church is just past the VA and restaurants? Lots of pretty good ones, all of which survived the pandemic, probably because they were good places to eat.

So, except for the VA and my Church, we could easily walk to Publix, drug stores and restaurants, and a number of people do. We don't, of course, but we could, if I wasn't so lazy.

And the weather-that's the best part of living here. We are all shivering since it's been in the 50s and very high 40s a couple of times this last week or so. But that'll pass pretty soon and I deal with the awful cold simply by staying home and adjusting the thermostat.

Once we both were retired, we knew we could live anywhere we wanted. But, we just could not think of a place as nice or as convenient as Florida so...here we are.

Bob

Posts: 1679 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida will not be our full time home, for now.

We are looking for a place for 3/4/5 months a year.

Thanks for the info.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Seems to be some differing views on living in Florida, so, here's mine.

After my Dad's death in '63, we moved to Fort Myers Beach where my grandparents lived.

After I came back from the Army in '68, I stayed in Fort Myers as a young policeman and in '79, I moved way up north (a couple of hours anyway) to St. Petersburg for Law School.

I stayed there after graduation and we live in one of the small cities between St. Pete and Clearwater. We've been in this home 16 years and before that we lived on the water in St. Pete some 20 years. Boats, fishing, all the water sports. Sold the boats and, frankly, don't miss 'em.

Both of us are now retired and, yes, there's a lot of traffic during tourist season (+/-Thanksgiving to Easter) BUT, Florida may be unique-I don't know so consider this:

Within a short distance there are 4 Publix Supermarkets, one is real close and is the smallest I've ever seen. Publix planned to close it down about 20 years ago and the neighborhood went bahooies and Publix backed down, best grocery store I've ever been in, wonderful staff and they are so nice and polite
that they give real meaning to their old motto "Shopping is a Pleasure."

Must be 12 Walgreen or CVS drug stores in the same area. Dentist I use is 3 minutes away, Bay Pines VA Hospital (best health care I ever got) is 4 miles from my house. My Church is just past the VA and restaurants? Lots of pretty good ones, all of which survived the pandemic, probably because they were good places to eat.

So, except for the VA and my Church, we could easily walk to Publix, drug stores and restaurants, and a number of people do. We don't, of course, but we could, if I wasn't so lazy.

And the weather-that's the best part of living here. We are all shivering since it's been in the 50s and very high 40s a couple of times this last week or so. But that'll pass pretty soon and I deal with the awful cold simply by staying home and adjusting the thermostat.

Once we both were retired, we knew we could live anywhere we wanted. But, we just could not think of a place as nice or as convenient as Florida so...here we are.

Bob

I was in the Tampa area a month ago doing some contract work and very much enjoyed the area.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about now but pre-COVID I would take FL over TX 10 times out of 10.

Nothing against the fine people of TX, I enjoyed them very much but TX, at least the Dallas/Fort Worth area, was very bland to me. Then again I love the ocean and vegetation which is why TX brown never suited me.
If you only saw DFW, you only saw a fraction of Texas. We're 74 times the size of Puerto Rico which means we have a multitude of climates and terrains:
  • Piney Forrest (e.g. Tyler)
  • Plains (e.g. Dallas)
  • Gulf Coast - both the muddy water part (e.g. Galveston) and the clear water part (e.g. South Padre)
  • Gulf Coastal Plain (e.g. Houston)
  • Hill Country (e.g. Austin)
  • Mountains (e.g. Guadalupe Mountains National Park)
  • High Dessert Plains (e.g. Midland)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SR
    posted Hide Post
    A shooting buddy that was active on this board years ago (TCrider) purchased a large (bus size) RV and has wintered in the Quartzsite Az area for a number of years. They just purchased a park model - but that's an aside.

I'm sure he'd be glad to talk with you and he'd have good info about options in AZ.

I can get you in touch with him if you'd like. Send me an email and include sigforum in the subject.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4892 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'd check out Gulf Shores, AL as well. My parents snowbird there from January to May and they love it. Its a very nice area and temperatures are usually pretty mild.

Posts: 751 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    quote:

Well, Dallas, sure.

But Ft. Worth and the rest of Texas isn't like Dallas.
    IMO, Houston and Austin are worse. And I like "bland". Don't pine for the ocean, either.

FWIW, if "brown" doesn't suit you, forget about Arizona.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    Ulsterman, my bro has a driveway in Tampa you can park in! JK you’d be fed up with him in a day or two.

Funny, we talked about building a RV park in North Fla where we own property just at the entrance of O’leno State Park on 441/41 just south of Mikesville….dad wouldn’t buy into it and we didn’t do anything with it. Chuck would have had to live onsite and he can’t manage it because he’s crippled.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to buy a (<$100k) mobile home within an age restricted park in FL or AZ, drive to it at Thanksgiving, enjoy the winter in the sun with Ice Tea on the porch and then drive home at Easter.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post