SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to a warmer climate in the winter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to a warmer climate in the winter Login/Join 
posted
We are looking to move to a warmer climate in the winter.

Maybe Texas, maybe Florida.

We will be in a Class C (for now).

Any suggestions?

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a Class C?

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Small-ish motor home.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Thanks. What kind of amenties you looking for or just traveling around??

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Arizona, especially Cochise County.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about now but pre-COVID I would take FL over TX 10 times out of 10.

Nothing against the fine people of TX, I enjoyed them very much but TX, at least the Dallas/Fort Worth area, was very bland to me. Then again I love the ocean and vegetation which is why TX brown never suited me.

Posts: 816 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Florida is nuts right now, everyone is moving out of those states with Tyrannical covid laws, consequently property costs are up, and lots of new developments. Lots of places to rent lots for your class C, we fill up with snowbirds in the winter. Plenty to do, lots of places to see

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed our very moderate winters in Louisiana, with no snow or ice. But I have thought that if I lived up north and went south for winter, why not go all the way, like the Florida keys, where you’d actually have beautiful weather.

Of course cost may be a factor. I can recommend Louisiana for reasonable prices, great food, and friendly folks. Florida panhandle is beautiful if you want to walk on the beach and have beautiful scenery, but it’s still too cold to go in the water. And you’ll pay more than and have mediocre food in general.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Keeping in mind I haven't seriously thought about, much less studied, the question: My initial thought is probably Florida.

Four reasons: Shorter trip, I fear hurricanes less than I do tornadoes, water, and it's further from the poison that's spreading from California.

Either way: I would be disinclined to live in either place in a Class anything motorhome, mobile home, or trailer. I'd want to be in something firmly-anchored to terra firma and with a basement or storm cellar Wink

For the weather reason: Were it to be Florida I'd want it to be far enough in-land to be unlikely to be affected by storm surge and on relatively high ground, relative to the surrounding area, so as to be relatively immune to local flooding.

It's not likely something we'll do. I can't see leaving our current home unoccupied for four-five months (November through February or March) out of the year, much less leaving a winter home vacant the other seven-eight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is a Class C?

30' drive able motor home.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Where I live in Temple is even with Savannah…we do get the heat, but not the humidity. I’m three hours from the Gulf of Mexico. My neighbor moved from Houston and he loves the dry heat here.

Winters aren’t bad…a few days with freezing temps, it has snowed twice in the last four years.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
HRK is right about Florida being nuts right now. Was stuck on a bridge going over a river the other day and noticed over half the plates were from other states which in and of itself isn’t particularly unusual this time of year. What really caught my eye was half the out of state plates were CA, WA, OR and one from AK. In 22 years here, I’ve never seen so many West Coasters. The admissions person at my kids’ school told me last week that in a given year, she might get 1 or 2 inquiries from people moving from states out west. This year 1 out of every 3 inquires each week is from people looking to make that move.

Good luck with the RV in winter in Florida. It’s competitive. Don’t quote me on this as my wife does the planning, but state parks book 11 months in advance. There are plenty of private campgrounds, but they vary from twice as much as a state park to “I just wanted to park here, not buy it” expensive.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t see ‘from where’? Could be a consideration.

Sign me up for the FL panhandle, over towards Apalachicola way. There’s many options between there then towards the West. A little off the water is fine too.

Yes, I know it’s cooler there than St Pete, I’m O.K. with that.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got a quote from a new private park being built in FL.

$1500-$1700 a month for a spot.

Nope.

Picture of gas226
posted Hide Post
WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!

Posts: 432 | Location: Miami | Registered: August 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 4 years in Jacksonville in the Navy and enjoyed it.

We are looking for something from November to March.

One of our sons is interviewing with a Fire Department somewhere in the State.

posted Hide Post
If you were on the west coast, I would recommend Baha, Mexico. Probably in La Paz, or possibly closer to Cabo. Low crime, great fishing, low cost, lots of snow birds.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I have always enjoyed our very moderate winters in Louisiana, with no snow or ice. But I have thought that if I lived up north and went south for winter, why not go all the way, like the Florida keys, where you’d actually have beautiful weather.

Of course cost may be a factor. I can recommend Louisiana for reasonable prices, great food, and friendly folks. Florida panhandle is beautiful if you want to walk on the beach and have beautiful scenery, but it’s still too cold to go in the water. And you’ll pay more than and have mediocre food in general.

MANY years ago we were there when my wife worked for the NFL. Super Bowl weekend it snowed in the quarter. Thankfully we had the warm winter clothing from our NJ departure.

Always made me think when I saw the Caution - Ice signs on the Lake Pontchartrain bridge.

A friend who works for the saints asked me to send a ice scraper down for his wife. Went and got a NE Patriot's version. They loved it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
If you were on the west coast, I would recommend Baha, Mexico. Probably in La Paz, or possibly closer to Cabo. Low crime, great fishing, low cost, lots of snow birds.

Vacationed in Cabo in the mid 90's before it exploded with building. Very reasonable back in those days. Didn't think it was that cheap any longer. I did find the weather nice but the water is dam cold.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
After 50 years, I have left Florida.

The Florida Panhandle was the "new Texas" (decent laws, responsible people, red as woodpeckers... head, until it became the "New Texas", when all the left coast and northern libs began bring all them U-Hauls on one way trips...

(yeah, I lived in several places in Texas way back when...)

So, to a tiny town in the lower edge of the Ozarks. But they gots bananas.

Traffic was getting to be a real drag in the Panhandle, and only going to get worse.

The winter here so far is pretty nice. The lessor humidity does not have that same wet chill in the air, and unless I am in the shade or the wind is brisk, I have been in a t-shirt in 40s degree, and keep the house around 66 in short sleeves.

Now, people from Wyoming, Montanta, that little chunk of Mini soda stickin' up into Canada's borthole, and other not-so-much-fun way up in the cold norflands, I can unnerstand moving to Florida.

You can have my spot. Enjoy it, lots of nice, I was just finally full of all the Florida I could eat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post