SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Contention - World's Ugliest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Contention - World's Ugliest Aircraft Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Thank you. That thing is hideous. And I think I know why - it's the one guy you know with the giant forehead that could be used as a movie screen.

And the Victor- that thing is pure awesomesauce. More vents! More inlets! More crazily canted aero surfaces! And shit, stick a refueling probe on the front because we don't have enough things sticking out! Go!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Handley Page Victor.

The more I look at this thing the more I love it.

I can't find a single pitot tube on it.

And I would love to see the checkride on it. During the walkaround "So, Leftenant, you see that horizontal stab up there that we probably put on upside down so we had to put strakes on it to make the airflow behave like every other aircraft that has it's stab installed properly? Yes? What are the holes on each side of the stab for?"

Also in the design phase. Hey, the hydraulic pumps always run hot because the engine is completely encased in the fuselage. OK, add a cooling air inlet. One? Bollocks that, one for each engine! Hey, the fuel/oil heat exchanger is running a little....ADD AN INLET! Hey, these giant fuel tanks on the wings are...ADD AN INLET!

Just pure fun, that plane is!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
The Brewster Buffalo is my trophy winner.

WWII. Things broke, the Cyclone engine oil leaks and guns that often didn't fire.

Against Japanese fighters, many didn't come back. Yet the Finns blew away Russian planes with a very similar plane.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28662 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this belongs in the 'ugliest airplane' thread or 'prettiest airplane' thread:

GeeBee R2

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm not sure if this belongs in the 'ugliest airplane' thread or 'prettiest airplane' thread:

GeeBee R2

New category: Most Dangerous Plane? Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9375 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:

GeeBee R2

Nice pic! Delmar Benjamin, who along with Steve Wolf, built this R2 replica and then donated the plane to the Kermit Weeks Museum in Florida. Delmar is back wheat farming in Montana.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

GeeBee R2

New category: Most Dangerous Plane? Eek

Yep. Plane most likely to kill you?

Plato

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

The picture is black and white, but that thing has to be French, right?

Plato

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

Anything built by Airbus.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
The Brewster Buffalo is my trophy winner.

WWII. Things broke, the Cyclone engine oil leaks and guns that often didn't fire.

Against Japanese fighters, many didn't come back. Yet the Finns blew away Russian planes with a very similar plane.

Yeah, the Buffalo was a real POS airplane. It's amazing that it won the pre-war competition for production, beating the Grumman F4F Wildcat. Fortunately for the allies, we built the F4F anyway. It wasn't until it saw real combat (at Midway, 25 took off and maybe one came back) that we discovered just how useless it was.

Brewster license-built F4U Corsairs since Vought couldn't meet the demand (as did Goodyear) (though, in the Navy's convoluted naming scheme, it would have been the F3A, as the Navy named planes based on who built the individual aircraft). They were junk, too. Stuff would literally fall off in flight, and even an outstanding design built by Brewster was garbage.

It's a mystery to me how the Finns seemed to have success with them. Probably because the Sovs (before 1943, at least) had lousy aircraft and the Finns were essentially flying their garbage aircraft against peer aircraft (garbage Soviet junk).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21923 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

The picture is black and white, but that thing has to be French, right?

Sorry, US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Bullet

quote:
The Christmas Bullet, later known as the Cantilever Aero Bullet (sometimes referred to as the Christmas Strutless Biplane), was an American single-seat cantilever wing biplane. It is considered by many to be among the worst aircraft ever constructed.[2]

The Brits had Blue, White, and Red roundels. The French had Red, White, Blue. The US (in WWI) had Red, Blue, White.

It's confusing, and the reason we switched shortly after the war.

Posts: 21923 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Here's an even uglier one (and it's a Brit):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...and-Hill_Pterodactyl

posted Hide Post
You ain't seen ugly till you've seen the Bennett Airtruck!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:

Anything built by Airbus.

Yep. Pretty telling that the only Airbus to show up in either thread is the A-380 in the ugly thread.

Also thanks to Hound Dog for the info on the roundels.

Plato

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Good thing Burt was still soiling his nappy when Boeing was called to action...

Kinda looks like someone put a B-17 together without reading the directions...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11441 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1000 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Most French ww2 bombers....

Posts: 2343 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't find a single pitot tube on it.

Reference: Handley Page Victor

Mid-line right on top of the nose/cockpit. Top of the wing right over the fuel/radar pod.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post