SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EQUIFAX Security Breach
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EQUIFAX Security Breach Login/Join 
posted
http://wgntv.com/2017/09/07/ho...ybersecurity-breach/

The personal information of potentially 143 million Americans may have been accessed by criminals in a cybersecurity incident involving Equifax, one of the three major credit reporting agencies.

Equifax has set up a tool to see if your personal information may have been accessed.

Editor's note: Many users are currently reporting the tool is not working for them. While some users are getting a "no" message, many users are only seeing a date for "TrustedID Premier." If you do not receive a "yes" or a "no," you're encouraged to try again at a later time.

EQUIFAX TOOL: Click here to use Equifax’s “Check Potential Impact” tool

After filling out some personal information on the form, you will get a message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by the incident.

Regardless of whether your information may have been impacted, Equifax is providing you the option to enroll in “TrustedID Premier” identity theft protection and credit file monitoring service.

Equifax said 143 million consumers could be impacted. According to census.gov, the US population is just over 325 million.

The company discovered the breach on July 29 and unauthorized access started in mid-May.

In addition to the breach, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 consumers "and certain dispute documents, which included personal identifying information, for approximately 182,000 consumers" were accessed during the incident.

"We identified a cybersecurity incident potentially impacting approximately 143 million U.S. consumers," Equifax said in a statement. "Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files. We discovered the unauthorized access and acted immediately to stop the intrusion."

The company has engaged with a separate cybersecurity firm to conduct a forensic review of the intrusion and law enforcement officials are currently investigating.

According to Equifax, investigators have found no evidence of "unauthorized activity on Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases."

Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents, according to the statement.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Saw this earlier today.

I get the "Trusted ID Premier" but no yes/no.

Guess I will have to try again.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Interesting I had 4 large fraudulent charges hit my Visa 5 days after their breach.

And I also got a date to enroll in the coverage but no indication if I was affected.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they know that my personal information was accessed, Why don't they send me a letter? They have my name and address.

I'm not putting more personal information into some website who-knows-where.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CNBC is reporting that three top execs at Equifax sold their stock holdings in the company, the day after the breach was discovered, and of course, long before today's announcement.

Insider trading? Hard time in the slammer?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. Just fucking wonderful.
Good thing it's only 1/2 the population of the US that could be affected.
Otherwise this could be big. Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Until you realize how many of the second half are riding on the wallets of the first half.

Then 1/2 nearly = 100%

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they know that my personal information was accessed, Why don't they send me a letter? They have my name and address.

Believe me they will get around to it. 143 million letters take time to type.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Their site says I wasn't affected but gave me an enrollment date next week and a link to click.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...

They could use the mimeograph machine.

It's sitting on top of their Information Systems Security handbook, you know to help keep thee machine level.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...

They could use the mimeograph machine.

...or an infinite number of these guys. Any volunteers?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I put in my information and it just gives me an enrollment date. Doesn't say one way or the other if I'm affected. Does that mean I'm screwed?

Is it telling you guys if you're affected or not?

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Since these clowns are a credit reporting agency, they know an awful lot about you and I. While it wasn't too long ago people actually put their SSN on personal checks, today this is very private information.

With a market cap of over $17,000,000,000.00 (before the fallout comes), heads need to roll.

Marketwatch is reporting that a few executives sold around $2 million in stock in early August ahead of the announcement. These pucks need to go spend some time with Bernie Madoff.

Source:

http://www.marketwatch.com/sto...ng-public-2017-09-07

Let's see......

1. Montana Fires
2. Harvey
3. Irma
4. Equifax

What a tough 2 weeks

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
I received the enrollment link for both mine and my wife's info. When I entered my college age son, i got a "No" access to info.

I think if you received the link they have your info. Mother Fuckers

Posts: 1524 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
"Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident."

Cocksuckers

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I put in my information and it just gives me an enrollment date. Doesn't say one way or the other if I'm affected. Does that mean I'm screwed?

Is it telling you guys if you're affected or not?

No they are just covering their bases.

I put in bogus info and it gave me an enrollment date as well.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wonder - if they know which information is affected, why don't they just automatically do a freeze on that information? Then the person can choose to unfreeze when needed.

I'm thinking if my info was affected, I'd want them to immediately freeze my credit reporting. All of this should be done for free and painlessly.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
And a few top executives sold stock shortly after the breach.

I'll be sure to use each of my 3 free credit reports every few months now.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank You
Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

I'm feeling lucky. Think I'll head to Vegas.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
The site says my information was likely impacted.

Add them to the Long list of folks who have leaked my information; Mad
OPM - Twice
DOD
Anthem
Adobe
CardSystems Solutions
Citigroup
Department of Homeland Security
JP Morgan Chase
Department of Veterans Affairs
Verizon
Bank of America
Equifax

I might as well just tatoo my SSAN and account numbers on my forehead.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post