SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EQUIFAX Security Breach
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EQUIFAX Security Breach Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
newtoSig765 and any others who are interested: Here's a site that rates the various "identity theft and mitigation" services: Identity Theft Protection Reviews & Ratings

DO NOT just grab the ratings and run with the highest. Read about how they came to each, then look for other ratings, reviews, customer experiences, etc. Pick a plan that suits your exposure and needs.

Thanks! I'll look at them tonight.

I have not applied for credit in over ten years. Financed a car back then, don't use credit cards, trying to stay out of debt, so I don't know how vulnerable I am. Suspicious by nature, I also am hesitant to ask if I'm on the hacked list, since I may be exposing my data just by asking. I may talk to my bank Monday morning to get their opinion.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9175 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do the monitoring companies do when you have a freeze on all three credit bureaus?

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I had to kinda chuckle. Equifax's web page wants me to enter the last 6 digits of my SSN to see if I was affected. Uhhhhhh...excuse me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice......

I just thought it quite ironic to have to enter that data to find out if I'd been hacked. Didn't enter jack sh#t and exited the page. If anyone wants my paltry savings and CC access, they're gonna find a way to get it one way or the other.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all these hacks and breaches, it bothers me that there are those who want our medical records available in the Cloud, or other globally accessible storage medium. Maybe that's already the case and I'm behind the times - but I hope not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows. Health insurance companies have released plenty of stuff. A defense contractor with Tricare had their hard drives stolen several years ago. Medical records with all identifying data including social security numbers.

Health insurance company Aetna “stunned” some of its customers last month when it accidentally made their HIV statuses visible from the outside of envelopes, two legal groups said Thursday.

The letters, which contained information about changes in pharmacy benefits and access to HIV medications, were sent to about 12,000 customers across multiple states, Aetna confirmed in a statement.

For some of these customers, a plastic window on the envelope exposed not only the patient’s name and address, but also a reference to filling prescriptions for HIV medications. This meant that whoever picked up the mail that day — a family member, a friend, a postal worker — would have been able to see the confidential information, according to the Legal Action Center and the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania. It is not known exactly how many customers were affected.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm affected. The last time was the OPM breach.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
How do I make sure I get in on the class-action lawsuit?

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
That's what it does, all right. Now imagine what happens when a prospective lender tries to perform a credit check and finds a security freeze on the credit bureau of their choice?

What happens?

If they cannot get a credit report it's unlikely they'll extend the credit. Particularly when they're told "Nope. Can't have it. Security freeze."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Not unless they can get to the PINs needed to unfreeze them, which are stored in my encrypted keyring.

Brings up an odd thought. They have to store the PINs somewhere on their side (to know when someone puts in the right one)....right?

So either, a) the PINS are as much at risk as the other stuff, or

b) the PINs are stored somehow more securely than the data that got hacked (in which case, why didn't they use that approach on the other information?!?)

Neither alternative makes makes me feel better, somehow.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

It's more likely that they store a hash of the PIN.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident."

Ahhh crap.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froze all three this morning. Coincidentally, I was thinking about doing this last month because I was getting annoyed with paying for credit monitoring every month.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
credit freeze has always been more effective than monitoring, the latter only reports it, the former prevents it. I don't think much is truly secure anymore, except perhaps secret military communications. But we probably wouldn't ever hear about a breach like that anyway.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Not long ago, I was on the phone with Schwab.

The rep proposed I use the voice identification system they have which identifies a customer by voice. I was assured it is very secure, works even when hoarse, can't be fooled by Rich Little type characters.

Any merit to something like this?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently if you put your 6 digits in to see if your affected you waive your right to sue. Read the fine print. Thankfully my wife and I were not affected.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...o-arbitration-clause

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rep proposed I use the voice identification system they have which identifies a customer by voice. I was assured it is very secure, works even when hoarse, can't be fooled by Rich Little type characters.

Hmmm. How about a recording of your voice?? I am always skeptical of these things. I do not know in this instance, but any system designed by man can be defeated. I am sure some tech savvy folks here will have a better answer.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
How do I make sure I get in on the class-action lawsuit?

Hint, wait for the class action people to do all the footwork, and then sue them as in individual, using their footwork as evidence and precedence.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Apparently if you put your 6 digits in to see if your affected you waive your right to sue. Read the fine print. Thankfully my wife and I were not affected.

Oh, good luck proving it was me who agreed to this, being how the information is "out there."

VPN and all, could have been anyone Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
As of a couple of minutes ago, Eqifux stock is down an additional 5%. Hope that it tanks completely.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
New merger coming; EquiFargo

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

Oh, good luck proving it was me who agreed to this, being how the information is "out there."

VPN and all, could have been anyone Wink

Equifax has removed that and explicitly confirmed that it does not apply.

quote:
We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post