SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Son did not understand the Mayberry reference I made.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Son did not understand the Mayberry reference I made. Login/Join 
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
We watched them together while my 3 grew up. My 26 year old employee had never watched them. We have wifi at the office and she watched them on her lunch break in the back. Then she would come in on Monday and tell me she binge watched 10+ episodes over the weekend. She was unhappy when they went color AND when Barney left. I was very proud of her. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2114 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We actually stayed in Mayberry (Mount Airy, NC- Andy's hometown) a couple weeks ago.

Posts: 775 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
perhaps you can send him to youtube and we can offer a few test questions , just for kicks.

1. Floyd was so embarrassed in one episode, that he was going to move away from Mayberry ,
Where was he going to relocate?

2. At one time Opie was giving up his bed because they had a guest staying over,
where was Opie SO! exited to be sleeping , instead ?

3. What did one of the "fun Girls " keep calling Barney?

4. What did one of the escaped Cons keep calling Barney?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
We actually stayed in Mayberry (Mount Airy, NC- Andy's hometown) a couple weeks ago.

Did you get a pork chop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch?

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
perhaps you can send him to youtube and we can offer a few test questions , just for kicks.

1. Floyd was so embarrassed in one episode, that he was going to move away from Mayberry ,
Where was he going to relocate?
- I don't know where he said he was going, but is this episode where his female pen pal is coming to visit him and he gets Andy to help him pose as a millionaire?

2. At one time Opie was giving up his bed because they had a guest staying over,
where was Opie SO! exited to be sleeping , instead ?
- The couch or maybe the ironing board?

3. What did one of the "fun Girls " keep calling Barney?
- Bernie

4. What did one of the escaped Cons keep calling Barney?
- No idea.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
People are clieless about all sorts of things.

The girl who cut my hair last time had no idea who Mark Twain was.

I walked into the coffee room at the office back in 1987 to hear one ~20 something blonde reading the newspaper ask another slightly older blonde, “Just who was this Ricky Nelson guy anyway.”

I had a similar experience that's always stuck with me, except mine took place in 1980. I was 30 years old, and it was the first time I can remember "feeling old".

I was at a party, and overheard a young girl say to her friend; "The Beatles? Wasn't that the band Paul McCartney was in before he joined Wings?"

She was of course technically correct, but the way she said it made me realize The Beatles were just history to her.

In the blockbuster movie of 1981, "Caveman," that you have likely never seen, one Ringo Starr had a lead, semi-non-speaking role as, well, a caveman. That was my then pre-teen daughter's favorite movie, watched hour on end. Age was felt when we were walking past a record store in Madrid when on display was an antique Abbey Road cover, and she said to me "Look Dad, there's the guy in Caveman!"

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could live in Mayberry right now . One diner , one " picture show " One Doctor and one Drug Store , " fillin' station " ,etc. , etc. When you want to go fishing you drive down to the lake . Hang out at the Courthouse or on a sidewalk bench , Peace and quiet .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Time for some people to sit back and watch.
One of the few shows on TV worth watching.

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm heading to Mount Airy (Mayberry) and Pilot Mountain (Mount Pilot) tomorrow, really!

First stop, Mount Airy for the Annual Mount Airy Old-Time Fiddlers Convention, then on to Pilot Mountain for the Hot Nights Hot Cars cruise-in. Smile

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'm near 40 and certainly would get the reference, but I work with guys who are just under 30 who would have absolutely no idea who Andy Griffith is.

For chrissakes, we were joking about something the other day and I made a Big Trouble in Little China reference, and not a single guy under 30 had any clue what I was talking about. They've never seen it! It's criminal.

I made a Die Hard reference and got blank stares the other day. I said “Die Hard” and got wasn’t that an old movie with Bruce what’s his name...

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Andy Griffith Show is still available on cable young people don't "watch" TV anymore. The under 30 age group views specific shows by download or binge them on Netflix. They have no grasp of watching a show at the specific time it airs each week. Any they absolutely don't just watch TV by flipping the channels until they find something that catches their eye. So they would never discover an old show.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for the boy in the O.P.

5. what was Barney's house mates name ?

6. What was the only thing that could keep barney from getting married?

7. Who almost blew up the whole jail building?

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I fault you with is that you didn’t force him to watch The Andy Griffin Show! My daughter is 11 and is forced to watch I Love Lucy, MASH, Andy Griffin show, and PettiCoat Junction!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I can still sing the lyrics from Petticoat Junction.

And Green Acres.

If we really was to get nostalgic, I remember well before 'dumpsters' were invented and the trash was manhandled on the flat bed of a big truck and all trash had to be manually shoved into place.

Those guys were pre-dumpster he-men.

I never like Aunt Bee, she always struck me as sneakily evil...her saccharin sweetness never took me in...

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a catfish sandwich a restaurant named after the "Loaded Goat" episode.

Posts: 775 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:

I never like Aunt Bee, she always struck me as sneakily evil...her saccharin sweetness never took me in...

Her inability to make a decent pickle was a huge tip-off.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'm 52. I never saw the Andy Griffith show...

Don't feel too bad. I have never watched Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, or most any sitcom that seems to be ragingly popular at the time.

Aaah, but Frasier was above all those!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My 23 year old intern has no idea who Mel Brooks is. He hasn't seen Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, or Young Frankenstein.

I gave him some homework assignments, after a verbal berating the likes of which no one had ever seen.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17306 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4HGnQ4e_o