SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    new TV hookup question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new TV hookup question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This little gem is working fine for us. Even keeps Dolby 5.1 for our antiquated home theater.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
This little gem is working fine for us. Even keeps Dolby 5.1 for our antiquated home theater.

What do you mean it keeps Dolby 5.1? It may accept a Dolby 5.1 input, but it can only output an analog stereo signal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah... It's not possible for it to be sending a discrete 5.1 channel audio signal through merely Left/Right analog stereo RCA audio cables.

The best you could be getting is for your system to be playing the 2 channel stereo audio through all 5 speakers. But that's not actually 5.1 surround sound. That's just stereo with extra speakers.

A 5.1 audio signal requires a digital connection, such as HDMI, optical, or digital coaxial.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Doing basic things like plugging a HDMI cable from the Wii to the TV, and then plugging an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar, is far from "complex".

. . .

I would typically agree in most situations, but the Wii typically doesn't have an HDMI out. (You can buy add-on adapters, though. I just did this recently.)

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's why I linked to one in my earlier post.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

What do you mean it keeps Dolby 5.1? It may accept a Dolby 5.1 input, but it can only output an analog stereo signal.

I mean my Sony D865 stereo can decode and play back separate signals through left, center, right, and rear speakers (and sub). The stereo's manual only talks about Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound, so I may have misspoke about "5.1".

The optical-to-RCA adapter specifically mentions 5.1 and I had to set the TV for 5.1 to get my surround sound to work, so I'll continue enjoying it, whatever it is.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: My GF went back to Best Buy and purchased a JBL 9.1 soundbar with surround sound. She won't tell me the price and that's OK. The prior TV and soundbar will be gifted to someone at our church.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bossman:
Update: My GF went back to Best Buy and purchased a JBL 9.1 soundbar

Go big or go home, right? Good for her! Big Grin

Enjoy your new high-end TV and surround sound system. I'm sure you'll be quite pleased at the difference in picture and sound quality compared to your old setup.