SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Mother Passed Today(Update with Thanks -first post)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Mother Passed Today(Update with Thanks -first post) Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted
Mom has been laid to rest. I just wanted to say thank you to Para and the rest of the Admins/mods here for working so hard over the years building such a fine community.

And a thank you to you all for the words of support and prayers. The compassion here helped see us through a difficult week.

My mother passed today. She suffered for many years with diabetes, heart problems, and degenerative arthritis which caused severe curvature of the spine. Her pain is gone now.

I wanted to share a little about her with my imaginary friends here as a way to honor her.

Mom worked for years for a contractor that provided many services for the U.S. Navy. When I was young, we didn't watch the news for updates about the Vietnam War. One of mom's duties was to track metrics on Navy planes, logging details of missions, combat damage, and pilots downed, missing, or killed in action. She knew what was what and didn't need a network to tell her and certainly didn't want to watch it on tv, after working with it all day. Mom was one of the first to know about Dieter Dengler being captured, and once told me that as soon as she saw his name, she knew Dieter would be back. His exploits in SERE school had provided him with a sort of reputation in Navy circles which preceded his subsequent actions during the war.

After the war, Mom worked on computer generated carrier group simulations, programming in Basic, Cobalt, and Fortran languages. She was a work associate of Tom Clancy's before he started writing books.

We moved out to the country and the commute became too long. Mom secured a position with the U.S. Postal service, and served for many years until her retirement.

I never met anyone who didn't like her. She was a voracious reader and loved children, nature, and all manner of furry critters.

For those willing, please join me in a toast and/or blessing for my mother Kay. May she arrive in Heaven a full hour before the devil knows she's gone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thunderson,

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so toast a life well lived, and a thoughtful son.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2391 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences

your mom sounds like she was a great lady and led a full life

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss. Suffering from most of her maladies is more painful than one could bear. Prayer sent to family and many friends.

Posts: 2353 | Location: Vancouver WA | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Your mother sounds like a remarkable woman. So sorry for your loss.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
My condolences Frown

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I will have a toast to your mothers memory.

Posts: 5342 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
My condolences as well. She seems to have lived a strong and honorable life. May she rest peacefully.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
We here are not "imaginary friends"--more like just "invisible" ones. We care. So sorry that you have lost your mom, but that is the normal progression of life. Remember all those wonderful attributes and happenings and it will ease the pain.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. Here's to your mother.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My CUT is because of people like your mother. Who put dedication to excellence into their work and accepted the knowledge of that effort as its own reward.

Yet, we who benefit may certainly express our gratitude by living and striving to be fashioned after such people, even if we never met them, for we certainly know they did and do, exist.

Being Jewish and Indian (feather, not dot), telling of a person's story is base to our existence and we know who we are, for knowing who they were.

Thank you for telling us about your mother. I appreciate it.

And you honor your mother in the telling.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
prayers sent

Posts: 3816 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you all.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and family.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My deepest condolences.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12265 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You've conveyed imagery of a wonderful woman & mother. Prayers & condolences on your loss.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Quite a tribute you've posted which speaks volumes about her, your admiration and love.

My sincerest condolences to you, your family, and friends.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Wow, your mom sounds like she was a great lady and a great mother. May your heart always be filled with memories of the good times as she watches over you.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post