SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old members coming out of the woodwork
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old members coming out of the woodwork Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It seems the latest round of panic and idiocy from the human race (with the associated frenzy surrounding firearms and amunition) has caused some inactive members to wish to return to the forum. I keep getting emails about "can't login" and "It's been a long time since..."

I had one yesterday- "I haven't logged into the forum in a while." Yeah, 2013 was a while ago. I did make the necessary account changes for that member, but an absence of seven and a half years is more than "a while" so you can see my point.

This morning, I deleted an ad out of Classifieds- a member who had registered in 2017 and who had never before posted decided now is a good time to sell a pistol. The ad was removed, even though it was likely legitimate. It looked like a scam.

SIGforum is a community. We do have transient members but I tell you in no uncertain terms that SIGforum doesn't exist for those members who just show up when they have a gun to sell. Also, I know that some of those needing assistance to get back into the forum are here to buy, so, it's not all just opportunism.

Additionally, I've gotten email inquiries from a few members, asking if they can sell their ammunition at a level which is attractive when compared to current market prices. Sounds great. Sixty or seventy dollars for a box of ammo doesn't sound so great. SIGforum will not see these prices. I don't want to hear about supply and demand. SIGforum will wait out the drought.

So, if you're looking in, haven't posted for a while (or ever) and you're thinking about posting in this forum, be my guest- unless, that is, you're showing up to post thousand dollar Glocks or hundred dollar boxes of pistol ammunition. All the frenzy and utter bullshit going on right now- SIGforum has nothing to do with it. Don't worry, though- someone will buy your overpriced stuff in a heartbeat. You'll just need to sell it elsewhere, that's all.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks para.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12340 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para.

I was approached to buy some primers after a remark made in a thread. I haven’t shot USPSA since March of last year because I ran out of primers.

Dude said he was doing me a favor as a brick was going for 150 and he was gonna let me buy them for 100....

I emailed back that he could keep them. I’m not about to feed into someone who would “help a fellow member out” at those prices.

I can wait till next year if need be.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping this place sane.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Right on. Join to contribute, not to consume.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mic drop

love it

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done-well said.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Forum, Para!!!

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've always been surprised that we haven't had more of a problem with scammers as disproportionate number of the classifieds are from low post count members.
Clearly that's mostly because of the screening of new members, rules we do have for sales and those riding heard over the ads.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm old now. I post, but mainly read, smile, and stay out of the way......

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
you're showing up to post thousand dollar Glocks or hundred dollar boxes of pistol ammunition.

That's a damn shame when gun owners are doing that to one another. We cannibalize ourselves when we do things like that.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great! Thank you!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I hate gougers.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Thx!!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I was stuck at home and bored out of my mind. I was looking at SigForum's main page, down at the bottom, and was reading through the list of members on line now.

There were a lot of screen names I recognized and quite a few I did not. I started clicking on them and then their profile to see how long they'd been a member and how many posts they'd made.

What astounded me was to see members who have been members for 15 to close to 20 years who have little or no posting history. Those who showed no posting history made me assume either they did not ever post, or maybe their posting history was cut when the old auto prune feature deleted old posts. I don't know, maybe Para can clarify if that's the case or not. Maybe your post count is like an odometer and never reduces it's count when old topics get auto pruned. I doubt that is the case, I assume if you little or no post count that's accurate. I literally did see members with 5 posts over 15+ years.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I don't post often. Why? Because everyone else knows so much more than I. I am often humbled by the vast and in-depth knowledge of the members here.

Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lots of people join forums and don't participate they read a lot of the things going on, like Fakebook, I have an account for the family stuff, read a bit, but almost never post anything other than some kudos to others in the family.

Read some news articles, sports articles on my alma mater, but don't post in the comments sections of articles.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Lots of people join forums and don't participate they read a lot of the things going on...
That's perfectly fine. We have many members who've never posted or who post rarely. My post addresses other behaviors.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Thank you for keeping this the best place on the internet.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post