SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you talk to yourself?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you talk to yourself? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Always have, more so as I get older. I have conversations with the dog sometimes. No he doesn't talk. But he does communicate. Sometimes I cuss myself out for being stupid or forgetting where I put things "so that I can find them again".

More seriously, I occasionally have to write technical documentation for work, and I found out many years ago that it often helps to say it out loud a few times to help get the phrasing right before putting it to keyboard. I do that a lot (not always for work - sometimes I even do it before posting shit to various online forums Big Grin).

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the time. there's the purposeful, like "I'm putting my classes in the drawer", in the faint hope that I'll remember saying it when I forget I did it.

There's the involuntary necessary such as when, for family reasons, I must watch network news...and they are wrong.

Then there is the weapons-grade paint-peeling profanity that may be required with a household project that requires strange positions or weird tools; The kind of language you can't use around honest men such as truck drivers, steel workers or miners but is required for peace of mind.

So, yes I talk to myself.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]

Then there is the weapons-grade paint-peeling profanity that may be required with a household project that requires strange positions or weird tools; The kind of language you can't use around honest men such as truck drivers, steel workers or miners but is required for peace of mind.

I'm a truck driver and I can put a sailor to shame. Big Grin

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, it's my only way to have an intelligent conversation all day.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

The air turns electric blue. Buzzards fall out of the sky because their flight feathers are singed. Mothers in a half-mile radius bring their children indoors and stuff cotton in their ears. Crab grass wilts. Often accompanied by hand tools headed for Low Earth Orbit.

Nope, not familiar with that phenomenon at all...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Not out loud (very often) (that I'm aware of).

ALL THE TIME inside my head.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I do...some days they are the only intelligent conversations I have all day.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
"In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

This quote from "A Christmas Story" describes most of my talking to myself...

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

The air turns electric blue. Buzzards fall out of the sky because their flight feathers are singed. Mothers in a half-mile radius bring their children indoors and stuff cotton in their ears. Crab grass wilts. Often accompanied by hand tools headed for Low Earth Orbit.

Nope, not familiar with that phenomenon at all...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your replies.
I guess he's really not losing my mind.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Since I work alone a lot, I talk to myself when thinking out a problem.

It's more thinking out loud than anything.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I talk to my self silently, not usually aloud but can't say that's never happened. I do talk to my dog on things that have no relevance to him. I just like the way he tilts his head like saying "yeah, you're right daddy"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post