SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon - bringing home spying to a whole new level: Introducing Astro
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon - bringing home spying to a whole new level: Introducing Astro Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
It's "adorable", so, of course, it has no way that the info gathering could be inverted into a threat...

After years of rumors and speculations, Amazon finally unveiled Astro, its adorable-looking household robot with a display and wheels.

CNET says it could be the robot we’ve been waiting for. While it sounds like basically an Alexa on wheels, it can do a wide variety of things you might want from a home robot.

It can map out your floor plan and obey commands to go to a specific room. It can recognize faces and deliver items to a specific person. It can play music and answer questions like any Echo smart display. It can be used for video calls, always keeping you in frame by literally following your movements. It can roam around your house when you aren’t home or help observe elderly relatives and connect them with services in an emergency.

But it doesn’t clean up after you. It can’t climb stairs or go outside of your home. That’s part of the reason why it’s releasing it with a limited, invite-only system before launching it to the public. The Verge also points out that people need to be comfortable with it in their home—Astro’s current design isn’t a huge leap from a robot vacuum, but add a bunch of R2-D2-like grabber arms and the ability to open doors and people might start getting uncomfortable.

↦ FYI: Amazon is allowing a limited number of early customers to request to purchase the robot for $999.99.

CNET article

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5645 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Does it clean the cat's litter box?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Will it bathe the cat? That's a robot I'd buy, just to watch the show.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Brings up the whole point of animal fur and the wheels.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5645 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
$13.50 on fleabay

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Not in my house. No Echo, Siri, Alexa allowed. I am quite capable of turning on my stereo and picking my music.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not. A. Chance. In. Hell.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
$13.50 on fleabay

Beat. "Rastro"

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
So when will Skynet becoming self aware?

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Definitely not the droids you are looking for.

On a tangent, Amazon has been pushing the garage access on Hulu commercials. Seems like every commercial break is for the garage access. How can anyone think this is a good idea?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
So someone could mount their alexa on top of their rumba and basically have the same thing?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
2 words ---

I, Robot

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it control unruly children?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Let it haul around a roll of TP so you could call for it in an emergency. Unfortunately, however, your online ad preferences would all turn to air fresheners and hemorrhoid creams.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cat would make short work of it. I received a tiny toy drone for Christmas and he snagged it before New Years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Astro's real name was Tralfaz.

Just sayin'

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's going to take a few more years for them to get the "Rosie" model perfected.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd boot that fucking thing clear across the room, then drop the pieces into a blender.

Posts: 107606 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Make it taller (waist high), dress it up and make it look like a Stepford Wife. Maybe. Problem is the data it collects. Needs a "Format C" for that ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post