SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity? Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A range day with friends would be a couple hundred rounds each of 9mm, either .17HMR or 22 LR and .45’s

Last day out, 8 rounds of 9mm and 20 of .22LR, that was a month ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have diminished my output, since I'm unsure when I'll be able to resupply my inventory. I still have more than what I consider a minimum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Stopped shooting in March 2020. Not one range trip since. I have a decent stash, but I can't bring myself to shoot it since I can't afford to replace it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Still visiting the range with my wife, mainly shooting .22 WMR (PMR30), .22 LR and 9mm in small quantities. Probably down to twice a month, may 3 times. 2/3 of the time is with my .22LR pistols. I still fire 2 mags through my .32 pocket guns (rotate) and through my carry for function check.

I am not shooting any of my 5.56/.223, 5.7x28m, .380, 7.62x39. No idea when or if any of this will come back to reality for pricing. At some point I probably will need to curtail even what I am doing now. I have been able to replace some of the .22 WMR in last 6 mos. for close(er) to original pricing, but that is it. .22LR seems to have become almost as expensive.

Like so many have said here, I’m good BUT don’t know if will be able to replace what I shoot with out taking out a bank loan. So yes, have slowed down but not due to scarcity - due to pricing to replace what I shoot.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Yes, High prices and no job = no range days.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last I shot was Feb of 2020. I'm lucky to have a nice stockpile but still can't bring myself to replace/buy more at current prices. I have however purchased several firearms in the last year.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes....I have a few new pieces I have to function test, but other than that, I stopped going.

Don't want to use up what I have, replacement prices are beyond insane.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that I've given up shooting due to ammo prices or scarcity, but in my case shooting is limited by my current health issues. When I do go shooting, it is almost certainly going to be with one of my .22 rimfires since they're the most fun to me, and I have a lifetime supply of that caliber in stock here at home!

The other, bigger, MUCH more expensive stuff gets shot rarely these days, but is rationed based on what I have in stock when I do load some up! Hopefully things will ease off before too long and I can blast some big ones along with the rimfire at my local range!

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I mostly shoot Sporting Clays now. Last year I got my (then) 14 year old son shooting it to. It has been a great father son time. Now it's getting hard to find shells for that. Those shells have always been available, even when other ammo has been hard to find. I currently have 700 shells (for 2 shooters) so we have been limiting how many times we go.

This year I was looking forward to getting him started in IDPA and a Steel Challenge at one of the local clubs. I have some ammo stored up, but I can't replace it, so we haven't been shooting any pistol sports.

Ammo priced suck right now, but is worse is that you can't even find ammo.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
All of my shooting is done right here on the farm but that is happening less and less now. No way am I paying these kind of prices. I do reload but my supply of small primers is getting down to several thousand so that is affecting that as well.

I am with those that are holding off right now.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
{snip}
Like so many have said here, I’m good BUT don’t know if will be able to replace what I shoot with out taking out a bank loan. So yes, have slowed down but not due to scarcity - due to pricing to replace what I shoot.

Same here.

But I did stock up on hundreds of 7.62X54R, 7.5 Swiss and 6.5 Swede, so I have been shooting more bolt action calibers and reducing my 9mm consumption.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have and I'll go even further detail.
Last month I finally step foot in my LGS after a year. March 2020 was the last time I was in this certain shop. They almost didn't recognize me.
Very low selection of firearms and 0 ammunition. No 9mm, no 45 cal, no 40 cal and no 12, 20 or 410 shotgun. Also no 22 caliber.
I haven't put a round downrange since October 2020 and I probably won't for a while.
I do have a decent amount of 9mm, 45 and 223 but I won't shoot it when I can't replace it.
While at the LGS, they did have a Dan Wesson Wraith in 9mm and it was smooth as butter. Marked down too. They knew I liked it and asked me if I wanted to start the form. I told them if ammunition supply was better, I'd jump all over it but I couldn't justify it right now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm taking my 14 yr old niece to the range this week . We'll probably shoot mostly .22 , but I'll let her shoot my 9mm's and she's game to try out the Garand . Smile

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been doing some shooting. However, the rounds fired have been reduced by half.

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We shot black powder today. Have several thousand primers, plenty of cast bullets and a couple pounds of powder.

Heck it's more fun than nitro.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I passed on the pistol league this year. From what I am hearing attendance is down 50% and made up of avid reloaders.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No job but shooting. I'll probably burn through 800+ 9mm rounds this month (some in matches and some in a training class).

Additionally, so far this month, 40 rounds of 7x62 in my SCAR 17.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post