SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you given up shooting due to ammo prices / scarcity? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have cut back. But I just broke in my new P07 and shot in a brief match earlier in the month.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I don’t think I have enough ammo on hand to use just for fun. I do have up into the triple digits with all my calibers combined. And maybe in one or two of those calibers I feel I could burn some down a little.

The one that gets me is 9mm. I didn’t buy a 9mm until 2019. I just didn’t feel the need to stockpile immediately, but COVID hit at the wrong time.

I wouldn’t say I was neglectful, I comfortable with 45 and 357. Not to mention rifle calibers. But I’m set up to reload rifle, mostly for hunting. But I did get components for 38spc and 357 before everything dried up. I really hope things flow again soon, I will get powder/primers for 9, and then I’ll shoot for fun again

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m hoarding. Once I burn through what I have I won’t pay 4 times normal price which seems to be the going rate right now.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Yes, for the time being. I'll wait another 6 months and if things don't turn around by then w/supplies & pricing, I'll bite the bullet (no pun intended) and pay for enough ammo to get me through a couple range sessions... then wait another 6 months.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Usually I have bought as need be. Today, given what I've seen happen a few time now at the first opportunity I intend to become a hoard type buyer. You'd think the manufacturers would figure things out, but I guess not possible.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Minor cut backs for the past 9 months, with 80-90% of what I shoot is now “home rolled”. Factory ammo is used very sparingly. When my primers are gone then the big cut back happens.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Prices just aggravated an already bad situation. I don’t shoot because I can’t buy ammo without getting poked, prodded, harassed, questioned, tracked and antagonized.

Take a moment to let this sink in: I can’t participate in the generous 9mm karma because the transfer would require an ffl.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I still go pretty regularly, but have reduced my round count significantly. I had over 5,000 small pistol primers when this started...I'm down to 100 now. I've scrounged primers from the scrap bucket, used up my supply of magnum primers, and even started using small rifle for pistol. I've still got a small supply of Large Rifle primers and a few large pistol, so I'm shooting more .45 than 9mm these days since I can replace it.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I shoot other friend's ammo, but I'm running out of friends. Big Grin

All those boxes of ammo gifted to the local mechanic, hmmmm ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yes, when this all started I thought I was good as I reload 40S&W for USPSA..that all came to a halt when I reached up into the closet shelf for the case (5000) small pistol primers....turns out when we moved Mrs. Mike repurposed the box...there I was thinking I was good to go...sadly I was not. So I haven’t shot a match since last March.

And I’m not gonna pay through the nose for the crazy prices people want for primers. I’ll do without. In a year, I’ll buy more when the prices have settled down.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
No, I have not given up shooting but have changed the amount and how I’ve been shooting. I have it stacked deep but am reluctant to shoot it. I have been adding ammo on a consistent basis at reasonable prices for the times which is what is allowing me to shoot. I have also cranked up my Dillon which had been idle for over 10 years even though I sporadically acquired components. I spend way more time doing dry fire drills and need to get to my outdoor range to practice draw, fire, reload drills from holster as my indoor range does not allow holster work. I am also financing the development of my 22 y/o son’s defensive pistol skill set. As he transitions back home from school for the summer, I’ll need to work hard to shake the rust off. Live fire to build confidence is critical at this point in his development. Up until a few weeks ago, the range had been extremely busy.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I have just cut back. Before the shortage I shot once a week and usually used about 50 rounds of .22 and 100 rounds of 9mm. I also tried to attend one or two training or shooting events a year.

Today, I shoot about 50 rounds of either .22 or 9mm. And I doubt there will be as many shooting events this year so...

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I started cutting back on shooting even before the shortage/price increases started.
We shoot mostly one IDPA and one ICORE match a month now.

In the past we were shooting one carbine,two different steel matches,one Zombie match and a NSSF 22 caliber match a month on top of IDPA and ICORE.
We also decide to cut back on regular target shooting as well.
On top of the ammunition cost it was the time it takes to get to, and back home from the range.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Even though I have a good supply it definitely has affected the number of trips to the range.
I also have shifted to rifle more where I reload, have a lot of supplies and can pick up my brass (I could also pick up pistol brass but not setup for it and don't have any supplies).
Hell, if a Group Buy of 9mm at 85 cents per is supposed to be a good deal then something is seriously wrong.
How can I shoot gold like that?

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Yes. Over the past year and a half we had to get a house ready to sell, put stuff in storage, find a new house during the pandemic, move in, etc. Was hoping to find a good local range after we got settled in here (Moved in November), but can't afford to shoot what I've got stashed and replace it at current prices - I'm not paying current nonsense prices. So I'll just have to sit tight and wait it out. I could shoot some .22, I have a lot of that, but I'm just going to wait.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Nope. I'm still shooting 2 or 3 times a week and will for the forseeable future.

I've noticed there are a lot fewer people at the ranges I go to though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot less for various reasons . None of which are ammo related . I'm good in that department . Yeah , less people there when I do go .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's probably been at least a year since I've been shooting at all. Can't find ammo most of the time, can't afford it when I do. I just don't have the income to support $100+ a range trip on more than a very sporadic basis.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Holy crap!!! $.85 per round in the group buy, and $1.10-$1.20 per round for 9mm ammo that I could buy now.

Yeah, I knew availability was scarce and prices commensurately high, but I hadn't realized prices were that high.

quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
I had to ask myself, if I had to purchase ammo at those prices, would I get back into or continue to shoot? And I was surprised that I quickly answered no.

I'd continue to shoot, but damn infrequently.

Mind you: I don't shoot, often or much, anyway. I don't think I've been shooting since about this time, last year, when I helped one of my best friends build a Hickock 45-style shooting bench for his handgun range up north.

I really should get more trigger time, as I do carry Frown

Even when I am shooting regularly, I tend not to go through more than 50-100 rounds/session. Even so: $85-$100 + range fees for a one-hour range session once-a-week? Even once-a-month? Probably not

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I bought a Glock 44 and just recently ordered a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 that should be at my FFL today. I'll be setting the S&W 15-22 up as close as possible to my AR's (B5 Bravo stock, B5 grip, ambi safety, Holosun 510C, Larue MBT2s, etc.). The G44 is the same size as a G19 and function/controls are identical.

I have a bunch of 9mm, but I'm hanging onto it. I'd much rather burn up a pile of .22lr and have fun doing it while still getting in some decent "training".

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post